Can't save to multisession DVD in USB drive? (Solved)

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
mcalex

Can't save to multisession DVD in USB drive? (Solved)

#1 Post by mcalex »

Hi all

I'm having trouble with saving the session to the live-dvd. I followed all the instructions, and have created a multi-session dvd with pburn in PL. When I shut down, puppy asks if I want to save and so I tab to the [Save to CD] button and hit <enter>. The screen goes black and then i get a message:
'If stuck here long time ensure cd tray is closed and hit enter' (or similar).

This line appears twice, then there's a pause (short time only :)), then the DVD tray ejects and I get a message:
'Have saved session to live-DVD
(unless it has not, which is an error)'

Talk about an each-way bet :). This box tells me to hit enter to close the tray (after optionally removing the media).

When I reboot with that DVD, I have to go through the startup stuff (identifying the mouse type, keyboard and Xorg/Xvesa setup options) before I'm taken to the normal startup screen with the 'Welcome! Click here for getting-started information' clicky , where all the options that I configured in the previous session have reverted back to defaults.

I'm pretty sure I've followed the instructions right. When I look at the DVD in windows (right click, properties, InCD tab - from the DVD item in the folder pane in windows explorer) it says it is a DVD-R Sequential Recording; as opposed to the DVD i burned from windows to start the process which is just a DVD-R in the same tab.

2 questions. 1) how do i find out what is going on with the session saving? is there a log file somewhere, or can I set some options to see output similar to the way pburn shows what is happening when it is burning a DVD?
2) can i save the session, manually, before shutting down, so I can check the DVD has had further info saved without having to go through all the startup configuration fun?

tia,

mcalex

<edit>
oh. :(
have just found the burner specs.
writing type:
DVD+R: Incremental Write (Multi Session Support)
DVD-R: Disc at Once, Incremental Recording (Multi-Border Support)

Looks like I gotta get me some DVD+R discs

a gotcha if anyone else has the same burner.

oh well, the success/error message was right, i suppose :wink:

Optorite DD1601 DVD Burner
Using Puppy 4.2.1

scabz

#2 Post by scabz »

yeah i have had this same problem also never thought to use dvd+r.
please post back results.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I doubt that the problem is caused by your DVD burner. More likely the burning program.

Use a DVD+RW and burn the Puppy iso to it with Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd in whatever version of Puppy you've been able to get to boot so far. Then boot the newly-burned DVD+RW, configure it, and shut down choosing to save to the DVD. That's how I create a multisession DVD and it's never failed me. Let us know what happens next. You can use a DVD+R, -R or -RW but +RW works as well as any, and Burniso2cd will burn to a used DVD+RW without having to blank the disk first. You can even try different Puppy isos out by burning them to the multisession Puppy DVD+RW you just booted from, and creating a new multisession Puppy DVD with the newly-burned DVD..
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

scabz

#4 Post by scabz »

yeah i have never used a dvd rw but have tried a dvd-r and it has never worked for me, and i always use Burniso2cd. i have never tired pburn for iso's.
I will try dvd-rw thanks.

mcalex

Live-DVD problem - nothing to do with USB drives

#5 Post by mcalex »

Hi Flash
More likely the burning program.
I had tried burniso2cd first - and it didn't work - but didn't have my notepad and so hadn't written down the steps. On my 2nd attempt I tried the alternative suggested in the 'Creating a Puppy Linux LiveCD / DVD' and made sure I had pen and paper with me. I do remember burniso2cd giving me the 'If stuck here long time message' that I mentioned in the OP
I doubt that the problem is caused by your DVD burner
... but the specs I provided are what's written on the box. It only supports multi session on DVD+R. (I have no idea what multi-border support is, which you get with DVD-Rs, but it mustn't be as good as multi session.)

Anyways, I grabbed me a box of DVD+Rs and a single DVD+RW (coz they're expensiver). I booted from the disc created in Windows, used PBurn to multi-session burn the ISO to a DVD+R, and all worked, then, when I rebooted from that DVD and hit the Save to CD option at close, I got me a new session, which puppily happily loaded at reboot.

All fixed. :-)