Text is blurry on 720p Plasma HDTV

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
TheGogmagog

Text is blurry on 720p Plasma HDTV

#1 Post by TheGogmagog »

HDTV (LCD or Plasma) haven't made it to the monitor selections yet. So I've tried 20 different settings and finally have the TV so that I can get crisp clear images. I've watched a DVD and some Hulu and am happy with the video. For some reason it blurs the heck out of text, both labels on the desktop and within the web browser. I have to enlarge text twice in the web browser to make it legible. I've searched but haven't seen any other reports of the same problem.

Any suggestions to correct this?

The Panasonic TH42PX80U 16:9 720p plasma HDTV with 720 Horizontal frequency as 45 kHz and vertical at 59.94 Hz. I think the Dell has a Nvidia Geforce FX5200. I'm using S-Video cable to connect to the TV. Also available outputs are the 15 pin video and a 32 pin, neither are on the TV. I'm using 'tipsy' puppy 4.13 because I was having trouble getting the TV to display anything but the safety mode. The tipsy distro claimed more video support and I get a better image now than I had in the past.

PS. Another hardware question: Are there multimedia keyboard drivers? The volume control and Play Buttons would be nice.

[Edit: I've come to the conclusion that the HDTV can' display text clearly, After reviewing some text embedded in video and small font CC it's not as clear as I thought it was. Apparently just a 720x1280 resolution setting isn't the same as what the HDTV produces.]