Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Jan 2020, 07:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
compiling error
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
futurnet

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 10:53    Post subject:  compiling error  

hi, I am trying to compile stardict 3.01 and create a pet file, but when run configure script I get this message error:

============================================
.checking for STARDICT... configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old. Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

============================================
I try to look if pk-config is installed typing:

echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/qt4/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/mozilla.org/lib/pkgconfig

what shoul i do to resolve my problem?

thanks in advance
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 11:43    Post subject:  

Try running this in the terminal before you run the config script (must be in the same terminal, not another one!):
Code:
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

That will add the /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig directory to the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable.

If that works, you may want to create the /etc/profile.local file (if it doesn't already exist) and add that line to it, so that this will be done each boot.

Also, for the record, checking that variable doesn't tell you if pkg-config is installed, only if the environment variable is set. To check if it's actually installed, use:
Code:
which pkg-config

futurnet

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 15:51    Post subject:  

I try to type your command and in the same terminal I run configure script, but back to me with same error. Sad

also check if pkg-config is installed with "which pkg-config" command and tell me is located in /usr/bin
runtt21

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 17:13    Post subject:  

You need to do it like this to begin with :

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

It cant find it cause you need to use --prefix=/usr ,

everything in puppy must be compiled this way.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 00:09    Post subject:  

I just wanted to check to see if you had set up the devx_XXX.sfs... see my signature for a quick tutorial
futurnet

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 16:30    Post subject:  

hi technosaurus,
I try to use your magic script "pcompile" and all process is going fine with finally a pet file ready to install Smile

its really a nice and quick script for create a pet file.

PS: what you mean for: set up the devx_XXX.sfs ? I need to change something in the structure directory or add some simlink?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 16:46    Post subject:  

if you can compile already you are probably set up ok

FYI when you run Pcompile it actually installs the entire package including DEV NLS and DOC parts (it is part of make install), but if you install those pets and then uninstall them in PetGet those unnecessar parts will be removed as well. I should add a note indicating that this may be the case.

futurnet

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2009, 08:12    Post subject:  

Yes technosaurus, I notice that your script create a pet file with all unnecessary parts (dev doc nls). Is not possible to modify the script for create different pet files, one for each part? (or give possibility to choose)
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2009, 18:05    Post subject:  

It could be done that way, but I probably won't do it - at least not for making pets. The main pet (the one with just 486) should be sufficiently stripped of unnecessary files or "bloat". DEV can be put in a devx and DOC and NLS can be used if needed at the user's discretion if they need documentation of locale support other than english.

I really want to keep it as simple as possible, otherwise you may as well use the command line. Which is fine - if you want more options follow the howto I started at pet packaging 100/101 - it will give you plenty of options.

"make install" will install those files to your system regardless. new2dir (and my 2dirs script) just watches the install process and filters the files to the appropriate folder and makes pets and an sfs. All you have to do is delete the extra folders and pets. (the best way is to "make uninstall" and only do the main pet)

Sometimes the DEV, DOC or NLS will get an arbitrarily required file (usually due to questionable programming techniques) it is much better to have them available incase the executable will not start without a random html file, locale or something.

Now maybe it is a good idea to have the option of deleting all of the files that would go into the DOC, DEV and NLS from the system after installation to enable testing how it will work when only the main pet is installed. (rather than make uninstall and then installing the pet) Perhaps this is what you were getting at all along. It would only be 3 or four really short lines of code at the end of the script

something like
cd $SRCDIR
make uninstall
cd ..
petget $NAME_OF_PET <--- I'll have to look this line up when I get to my puppypc

Otherwise there is a pet creator that you can use to combine the different folders. And if I remember there was a program to combine multiple pet and sfs files into one pet/sfs.

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: