Suggestions for a print/file server distro?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else

Suggestions for a print/file server distro?

#1 Post by . »

can someone reccomend me a distro for a print server, possibly functioning as a file server too.

hardware:
Pentium 133 (probably clocked @ 90mhz)
16MB ram
CDrom and/or Floppy drive (latter only preferable)
netgear FA311 NIC (connected to wireless router)
canon pixma iP4000

requirements/ wishes:
very stable (ie will stay on for months without problem)
in case of powercut, unplugging etc.. will boot up without need for re-configuring
as easy to use as possible (preferably with walkthroughs or well supported)
ability to function completely without hard drive or accessing floppy/cdrom when loaded.
able to share hard drive contents around windows network
turn off hard drive when not accessed.

ezeze5000

print/file server

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

Add some ram and a swap partition and puppy could be made to work.

:D

Auda

#3 Post by Auda »

Freesco start here http://forums.freesco.org it will do every thing you want and is a firewall as well. Uptimes are measured in months to years I have one running on a p 200 32megs. I forget what the minimum is 486 and 8 megs maybe.
Auda

#4 Post by . »

ezeze5000, yes.. but, ain't gonna happen. its weird old ram.. i can't even tell which is ram and which is cache. so i have none compatible lying around (i think there is only one slot anyway), and i'm not going to spend anything atall on it.. its work as it is or throw it out. plus, any HDD i have that i'm willing to give up is old and *noisy* (and the point is to be very low-power, 0 fans, 0 noise). hdd also hdd would increase failure chances. :P i doubt puppy has such good up-times either (?).

Auda, thanks FREESCO looks ideal from first impressions :) .. i guess i will have to do a bunch of reading to stop getting flamed for asking basic 'how do i do this' questions :( lol.

Auda

#5 Post by Auda »

.. i guess i will have to do a bunch of reading to stop getting flamed for asking basic 'how do i do this' questions Sad lol.
Not a lot setup is easy and they are a friendly helpful lot. Start with a basic floppy system, install it on the hard drive, add samba and configure your printer then make a cd version. Mine is a hard drive install with samba for file server and printing. Now if puppy could print via samba no more windows !

#6 Post by Guest »

I use FREESCO from the release of version 2.7 and It is superb.
But, the Kernel last of FREESCO is version 2.0.40 and the new Ethernet cards, and all that is USB (modem, printer, usbstick, ...) are not supported.
:cry:

CANON iP4000 printer is USB.