PuppyLinux Reference Card

Using applications, configuring, problems
Stripe

#31 Post by Stripe »

Hi all
Thanks very much for the commands, A very useful tool (has helped me loads)
Cheers
Stripe

aragon

#32 Post by aragon »

Tubeguy made a nice online-version: http://tubeguy.org/PLRC-0.01b.html

aragon

disciple

#33 Post by disciple »

aragon wrote:
disciple wrote:Can anyone explain searching through the command history with Ctrl-R? I tried in in cygwin rxvt last night, and it seems you type in the first part of a command, press Ctrl-R, and then press space to search backwards through the history... but now that I try it in Puppy it only seems to find the most recent command, and won't search any further back...
am using it the other way round, first Ctrl+R then type part of the command. the limitation with the most recent command is here also.

aragon
I later found out:
- press Ctrl-R with an empty command line
- type part of the command
- press Ctrl-R again to go to the previous match.
This is very useful; I use it constantly.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

wildirish

#34 Post by wildirish »

This is great! I'm trying to learn to use the command line more, but so many of the things I find online or in books work in other distros, but not Puppy. If I see "Bad command or file name" one more time, I'll go postal, LOL!

Thank you for this--the HTML version is especially helpful, as it's the easiest to read, IMHO at least.

Tman

#35 Post by Tman »

This is a fantastic idea, aragon. I just wanted to add my thanks.

disciple

#36 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:
aragon wrote:
disciple wrote:Can anyone explain searching through the command history with Ctrl-R? I tried in in cygwin rxvt last night, and it seems you type in the first part of a command, press Ctrl-R, and then press space to search backwards through the history... but now that I try it in Puppy it only seems to find the most recent command, and won't search any further back...
am using it the other way round, first Ctrl+R then type part of the command. the limitation with the most recent command is here also.

aragon
I later found out:
- press Ctrl-R with an empty command line
- type part of the command
- press Ctrl-R again to go to the previous match.
This is very useful; I use it constantly.
Ah, and thanks to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash I finally know how to make Ctrl-S work to go forwards: run `stty -ixon`, which disables "job control". You can add it in your .bashrc or whatever.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

RetroTechGuy

#37 Post by RetroTechGuy »

wildirish wrote:This is great! I'm trying to learn to use the command line more, but so many of the things I find online or in books work in other distros, but not Puppy. If I see "Bad command or file name" one more time, I'll go postal, LOL!

Thank you for this--the HTML version is especially helpful, as it's the easiest to read, IMHO at least.
Try the tab key. It shows/expands matching commands or filenames (if not unique).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

disciple

find multiple copies of a program in different paths

#38 Post by disciple »

Tip:
`which` only tells you about the copy of a program that will actually run if you call it by name (without the full path).
If you need to check whether you have multiple copies of a program in different paths (e.g. /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin), run this

Code: Select all

type -a program-name
It will also tell you about shell built-ins and aliases, which can otherwise cause confusion.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

don570

Cooper's advanced Bash manual

#39 Post by don570 »

I used the card (with some modifications) in my pet package
of Cooper's advanced Bash manual.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80501

Dud

#40 Post by Dud »

I've only looked at the HTML version:

Compact, useful - there were a couple of things in there that I'd forgotten; and easy to resize/reflow for those who need it.

You might want to check 'touch' btw.

It would be fairly east to semi-automate this with a db app so that appropriate versions could be created for different distro's.

I understand this is still a WIP but a few class declarations and stylesheets would greatly simplify the production of formatted-to-purpose variants.

Keep up the good work.

Cheerio,

Pelo

J'ai la fiche dans mon manuel

#41 Post by Pelo »

un professeur ne pourrait-il pas nous faire une synthèse ?
Je suis en train de me faire mon manuel d'aide, aujourd'hui j'ai appris à targizer.
Les informations sont parfois disparates, noyées dans des jugements, en anglais, ou autre chose encore.
Les tutos de Toutou pourraient être amendés (?) des nouveautés ou découvertes.
Is there a teacher speaking french to do that ?

I have this file in my user book. very useful to remember syntax.
awful syntax. and furthermore english awful computing syntax !
Last user manual done was for puppy 4.3.1, wasn't it ? Things have changed a lot. Or better news things have appeared.
Could even somebody translate in Puppy user's manuals from other distros, with correct syntax, obviously ? Great Job !

Pelo

Refresh done for francophone;

#42 Post by Pelo »

remis à l'ordre du jour sur le forum francophone.
Refresh done for francophone;
In fact i lose the paper . happy to have found it back. There in this topic..
Attachments
plrc.jpg
page one, jump there
(69.71 KiB) Downloaded 652 times

qxotic

Terminal - Copy and Paste

#43 Post by qxotic »

I often use copy and paste with the terminal. I had to search to find out how it was done in Puppy... these commands worked from here: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HowToCopyFromTerminal

COPY = Highlight the text in the terminal. Switch to destination app and press middle mouse button. The text should now be pasted into destination application.
Middle mouse button can be simulated by pressing both mouse keys simultaneously

PASTE = Highlight the text in the source app and optionally press 'ctrl'+ c. Switch to terminal and press 'shift'+'insert' or press middle mouse button.... or both mouse buttons simultaneously.