Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Oct 2019, 06:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
Magruder

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 20:02    Post subject:  

Can someone give me a hint on how to deal with the missing nic driver issue?

I'm doing fine on 4.2, but when I boot 4.3, Puppy can't find any drivers to load.

Rerwin, I downloaded and installed the 5 pets you made available. That didn't help. Can I just copy a folder or two containing drivers from the 4.2 setup over to 4.3? I did copy /initrd/mnt/dev_save/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/initrd/kernel/drivers; that apparently wasn't the one I need. Can't tell if I'm on the right track or not.
edoc

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 20:22    Post subject:  

Thanks!

I also found the discussion of default apps interesting.

I'd love to see a menu on the first boot - with a default "Standard" choice a newbie might choose to get Barry's recommended apps - but from which a user may review and select specific apps from a category-indexed list.

Best of both worlds - choice for the more sophisticated users, quick and simple for the newbie.

Perhaps the development of WOOF may make this a more practical option than it has been previously?

TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 21:13    Post subject:
Subject description: ext4 problem

I reformated an ext4 partition using Gparted to ext3 since pups cannot be installed to ext4 partitions.

The new ext3 partition still shows as ext4 when hovering over the icon.
EDIT: Booting with "puppy pfix=ram", the partition shows up correctly so something about the partition must be saved in the pupsave file. Thanks scabz, your suggestion is good, however, that should be taken care of automatically with a reboot.

Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 10:40; edited 2 times in total
scabz

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 21:23    Post subject:
Subject description: ext4 problem

Jim1911 wrote:
I reformated an ext4 partition using Gparted to ext3 since pups cannot be installed to ext4 partitions.

The new ext3 partition still shows as ext4 when hovering over the icon.

delete the icon then go to menu/desktop/desktop drive icon manager/ tick box to erase then redraw and realign existing icons

restart the computer and that should be it.
edoc

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 21:33    Post subject:  

The enGenius NMP-8602+S wireless nic that worked under 4.21 and even 4.31b2 does not work under 4.30-Frugal on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-29.

It is identified: Atheros AR5006X 802.11abg with the ath5k module associated with it.

WDYT?

TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
RiverTy

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:53    Post subject:  

Wireless has stopped working for me in this version. I did some checking and this is what I got.

I have an Atheros chip in my laptop. Puppy Linux 4.2.1 finds and loads the ath_pci module for this card and it works great. Puppy Linux 4.3 finds and loads the ath5k module for this chip and does not work. I have WPA enabled security here. At the point when the connection is "associating" with the router, this process simply fails and times out. Scans work OK but not great. Sometimes I have to scan 3 times to get results!

Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot? How about getting the ath_pci module back in 4.3?

Last edited by RiverTy on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 11:16; edited 2 times in total
aarf

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:59    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:

Sincere appologies. Did a fresh install to check, and Dear Lord, Pwidgets is not in the package manager.
Find it here. Just install it, it is well behaved
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601

thanks DaveS, now I have a desktop i can live with made from wallpaper and icons contained in puppy small 430.

also notice "no fans" was the same in 421.

Edit: all i need now is the name of the pet for the popup top of the screen toolbar from 412 ad where to find it? had thought it was an incarnation of cairo dock but can't see cairo in the package manager either.

bug? failed to copy and paste (shift+ins) from seamonkey into rxvt.
smalldesktop.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.33 KB
 Viewed   1218 Time(s)

smalldesktop.jpg

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
magerlab

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 01:39    Post subject:  

is it ptray?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38439&search_id=1163164699
aarf

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 04:29    Post subject:  

magerlab wrote:
is it ptray?

thanks magerlab yes that's the one. it is not going in smoothly. am getting a "blinky" instead of a tray but will take that issue to the thread you provided.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 05:05    Post subject:  

Started another thread for this here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46829

aarf wrote:
magerlab wrote:
is it ptray?

thanks magerlab yes that's the one. it is not going in smoothly. am getting a "blinky" instead of a tray but will take that issue to the thread you provided.

aarf, you might find it interesting to re-think this top tray. You see, the top tray is actually a standard JWM feature. Ptray is just a way of trying to automate it, and I dont think Ptray is compatible with 4.3.
SO.

All you need is a text file called whatever you like in your /root/ directory. Conventionally it is called
.jwmrc-tray-top Then you tell jwm where to find it by adding this code to /root/.jwmrc AND /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

Code:
   <Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>
   <Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray-top</Include>
   <Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray-podcasts</Include>

Just find the section which has <Include/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>

and add your tray beneath it. You can see I have another one called tray-podcasts which I left in just for your ref.

The format for the tray text file is as below (this is my top tray)

Code:
<JWM>
  <Tray autohide="true" insert="right" valign="top" halign="center" height="36" >
  <TrayButton popup="Account" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/openofficeorg36-base.png">exec:sbase /mnt/sda3/my-documents/data/accounts.odb</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Files, Root" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/home24.png">exec:rox</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="My-Documents" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/folder24.png">exec:rox /mnt/sda3/my-documents</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Email" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/email24.png">exec:firefox</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Browser" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/www24.png">exec:firefox</TrayButton>
 <!-- <TrayButton popup="Grsync" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/grsync36.png">exec:grsync</TrayButton> -->
  <TrayButton popup="TKSpider" icon="/usr/share/mini-icons/mini-trebol.xpm">exec:tkspider</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Rxvt - terminal emulator" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/console24.png">exec:rxvt</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Geany - text editor" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/edit24.png">exec:geany</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Pfind - file finder" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-search.xpm">exec:pfind</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Pwireless - wireless scanner" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/network24.png">exec:Pwireless</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Galculator - 3 way calculator" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/galculator_48x48.png">exec:galculator</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="CUPS Printer Wizard" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/printer24.png">exec:cups_shell</TrayButton>
 </Tray>
</JWM>

You should be able to use this as a template to set it up just the way you want, which is what JWM is all about.
The top part of the code tells JWM where to put the tray. The line in the middle that starts <!-- is the way you tell JWM to ignore an entry, and is more flexible than deleting the entry, in case you change your mind.

It looks like a lot of work, but this is how to get a system working JUST the way you want, and it is easier working with a template Smile
Once you have set it up, re-start JWM to activate it, and customise the heck out of it!
Good luck.
Questions? Just ask................

Started another thread for this here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46829

Last edited by DaveS on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 07:54; edited 1 time in total
panzerpuppy

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 07:33    Post subject:  

Why was memtest removed from Puppy? Was there a good reason for the removal? The older Puppies had a special command ('pfix=test' or 'memtest') to execute memtest without starting Puppy.

Puppy is one of the best diagnostic / recovery Live CDs and it's such a shame to see one of the most useful diagnostic tools removed like that.

Now I must use a bloated Knoppix DVD (ugh!) to perform memory tests on old machines before installing Puppy Sad
magerlab

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 07:42    Post subject:  

do not know if it's right place to post Very Happy

i have two apps that disappiont me
ayttm and aqualung(work from time to time and crushes)
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 08:57    Post subject:  

Magruder wrote:
Can someone give me a hint on how to deal with the missing nic driver issue?
. . .
Rerwin, I downloaded and installed the 5 pets you made available. That didn't help. Can I just copy a folder or two containing drivers from the 4.2 setup over to 4.3? I did copy /initrd/mnt/dev_save/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/initrd/kernel/drivers; that apparently wasn't the one I need. Can't tell if I'm on the right track or not.
Magruder,
1. The .pets I uploaded apply only to Intel537 modems. You are asking about NIC drivers, so you don't need my .pets.

2. The 2.6.25.16 drivers should not be added to the main version of 4.3, because it is based on a different kernel. Drivers are built specifically for particular kernels, so should not be mixed. However, those drivers should work with the 4.3 based on the 2.6.25.16 kernel, but you should not need to do any of that. Please focus on installing puppy correctly instead of improvising and expecting us to make sense of it all.

3. If you don't see any drivers with the main 4.3 version, you don't have the zp430305.sfs file where puppy can find it. Although the advice I have seen here about that file directs you to place it in /mnt/home, I find that is needs to go wherever your pup_save file is -- in the /mnt/home/puppy430 subdirectory ("psubdir=puppy430" in your menu.lst kernel statement for invoking puppy 4.3) if that's where you put the other puppy files and your pup_saves. You do need to use the full-version iso to get most of the drivers, not the "small" version, as I understand the situation. And the drivers should be found if you run from the CD of the full version.

Please tell us more about exactly how you are trying to run Puppy 4.3. Thanks.
Richard

Last edited by rerwin on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 09:00; edited 1 time in total
panzerpuppy

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 08:57    Post subject:  

There's a big problem with this version of Puppy. When using Xorg, if you exit X to get to the command line (by using 'Exit to prompt' from the menu,Restart X or Ctrl-Alt-Bs) Puppy may freeze with a black screen.

Keep exiting from X and restart X until the freeze occurs.

Sometimes Puppy will freeze after 3 restarts of X, but sometimes all it takes is one 'exit to prompt'.

This bug is a real showstopper Sad

Last edited by panzerpuppy on Tue 22 Sep 2009, 09:27; edited 2 times in total
ecube

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 06:32    Post subject: pmount problem  

When the /usr/sbin/pmount icon is clicked, the size of all partitions are shown, and free memory is shown for a mounted partition.

But if the cursor is placed over a drive icon, "Size: 0.0GB" is only shown. For an usbdrv the size is shown but free memory information does not appear for any of the icons.

It would simplify my life if a Bash/Gtkdialog expert (e.g. Zigbert or Barry) could spare the (hopefully small amount of) time necessary to fix this problem.

Thanks

Olov
pmount.png
 Description   
 Filesize   51.93 KB
 Viewed   1045 Time(s)

pmount.png

Page 8 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: