Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Oct 2019, 13:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 09:34    Post subject:  

@ecube shows the correct Size info in my 430 small install. doesnt show zero size for any icon mounted or unmounted. you will have to give more info to track it down.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 10:03    Post subject:  

package manager: tried to install opera10-qt452-flash10.pet, dialog came and said opera was installed but it wouldn't start from the menu>internet>opera. free memory is now after install down to 16MB. wasn't expecting it to install properly because my pupsave is only 32MB. opera folder and (some?) contents are at /root/opera/ clicking the icon startopera icon in there wont start it either. go to the package manager to uninstall opera, click it and then it says it is uninstalled but then i go back to /root/opera/ and opera and contents are still there . restart x, look again and opera is still there in /root/opera/ but opera is no longer in the contents bottom window list of package manager.
free memory is still at 16MB after package manager says it has successfully removed opera. i.e. no change from when opera was reported as installed.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

purple_ghost

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 10:37    Post subject: Please post problem with RAM amount and Xorg/Xvesa choice,
Subject description: with name of video card and processor.

I must start by apologizing. I do not have time this morning to read through all the bug reports to determine if I am repeating a report and a possible hypothesis of what is happening. I suspect that we have the same bug for several different issues.

Unfortunately I must base my analysis on very little experience. This last weekend I was working on some a 2001 HP tower, P4, 128 MB RAM, Nividia Video card, Lucent modem.

First time I started this with Puppy 4.3 Live CD I started Xvesa, resized screen to 1024Xxxxx. Click Change. Click OK. Puppy barks. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

I did not create a Pup_Save file. Later I started with Xorg. Which showed a nice screen at the 1024Xnnn and so on, but no Puppy bark and no sound. It is my hypothesis that the problem is that when Xorg starts it takes up some RAM for Sharing with the card and some other program does not get its part of RAM that it expects.

One might guess this is, RAM allocation is the same problem with some of these reports with modem and other problems.

Then again, my experience with Puppy 4.3 is a very few minutes.

I did not get the time to check it in Xorg, but with Xvesa. Puppy 4.3 found and installed driver for lucent modem and directly logged on. I see what I would have guessed would be a weird speed of like 40 initially set. I thought that the initial setting of modem speeds does not limit the speed of the modem, but one should only use a standard set of numbers or the modem would run slower than if the initially setting of speed was a standard. then again. I do not know if this speed is the standard for this modem. While I am glad to see a soft dial up modem directly works with Puppy 4.3 standard, If the HP was my computer, I would rip out that weird Lucent modem for a more standard 56K Modem. That Lucent is just too slow.

Minor fudge with Pup Dialer. The setting it always starts with is auto-reconnect set. Several years ago I had a lot of log in delays that required that I re-dial my ISP. The ISP said someone had set their computer to auto-reconnect to get the effect of 24/7 connection on dial up, which they were not paying for. Then they went on vacation somewhere with their computer still turned on, and failed to pay their ISP bill. The ISP was powerless to stop this guys auto-reconnect from lousing up everyone else's service. Nor would the phone company turn off the phone service from the house. Safety laws and all that.

I started the new Puppy 4.3 on my dual quad core Q6600, 4 GB of RAM and Puppy shows that it sees and uses all four cores. (At least it is trying to) and Puppy moves at warp speed on this. Now I need to increase my income so I can get broadband.

I really like Puppy 4.3. I feel Barry has accomplished another great feat. Thanks Barry.

Michalis

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 11:06    Post subject:  

@ecube + @aarf
Mine installation 430 small (of course clean install) has the same bug also. When a partition is mounted shows 0 GB space. From the other hand when unmounted shows the correct size. I can't give more details since I'm not familiar with what happens when the cursor goes over an icon.

aarf you can check this opera pet which I've compiled in 430 and works perfect.

One more tiny mistake not a bug is in the locale settings selection. In Greece and Cyprus we speak Greek (or hellenic if you wish), not Cypriotic. Actually there isn't any language as "cypriotic".

Doesn't produce any problem so I know is not a bug, but I think you should correct it in the next release.

I saw the same mistake also with the spanish language which is written as mexican. How come and something so basic like that has changed after so many correct versions? Confused
Kenny-M

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 12:37    Post subject:  

Barry K., Puppy SCSI 4.3.0 430-k2.6.25.16-SCSI

Issue with Grub

If using Grub in simple mode the information placed on /dev/sda
is not usable. When booting causes error message 15 file not found.

If using Grub in simple mode and placing startup on Floppy
the menu is displayed as expected. However;

In either case the entry for Puppy Linux is incorrect.

Automatically loaded into menu.lst:

title Linux (on /dev/sdb1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro vga=771

Should read:

title Linux (on /dev/sdb1)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd nosmp
initrd /initrd.gz

Also, when attempting to use "expert" mode if during setup
you try and click in the entry to add a DOS or Windows
entry you are presented with the "help" screen for Xdialog
instead of an actual command??

This is using the Grub in the distributed ISO file.

Thanks.

Ledster

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 12:47    Post subject:
Subject description: 430 on Acer Aspire One using usb stick to boot

430 on Acer Aspire One using usb stick to boot

Earlier versions (424, 425) ok except would only play ball if I used Bootflash.
Tried formatting to ext2 and ext3 and using Universal Installer - my usb mouse
was so jumpy as to be almost unusable and clicking on the intro banner got
welcoming barks going on for ever (until I closed the opening screen - not easy
with a jumpy mouse!).
430 gave all the above and xorg didn't think the graphics card could cope with the
only options it offered (1024x600 at 16 or 24 bit color). It did cope, but only
with initial stutters.
Managed to make a save file and reboot and got the dreaded disabling irq 11 problem.
Adding pci=noacpi to syslinux.cfg (never had to do this before) fixed this and the
mouse was no longer jumpy as well.
To get the card slots to read had to put pciehp:pciehp_force=1 into modulesconfig
which normally works with no problems BUT you now have to have a card in the slot
when you boot to make it work. Didn't need that before.
So what has changed between 425 and 430? All I can see is that zp430305.sfs is now
built into the pup iso and has grown (and the pup sfs has shrunk). Yes, I have
removed the 537 modules, but it made no difference.
Have the graphics drivers changed?
Meanwhile I am reverting to upup alpha9 on the Acer - it works well.

On a happier note 430 works fine on my desktop (A7V8X-X mobo, Athlon xp 2500,
1gig memory, Nvidia FX5200 graphics card, 128meg memory).
Posting this from 430 using Opera 10.

Ledster
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 13:35    Post subject:  

Yo Mama!
Pfind finally works Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

_-¤-_

paulh177

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 15:35    Post subject:  

pnethood seems broken for me in pup430-small, and had the same problems in all the 4,3 betas ... 4.2x it works fine.
The shares are seen ok but they are can't be accessed through pnethood -- here's the logfile (heavily snipped to remove all the usual utfconversion errors)
Code:
-------------------------
scanning network
Scan completed: 172.16.0.0/16
servers found=MYACER |SMBSERVER

started probing MYACER SMBSERVER
init_iconv: Conversion from UTF-16LE to CP850 not supported
init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from UTF-16LE to ASCII
Domain=[MYACER] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
cli_rpc_pipe_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \srvsvc to machine MYACER.  Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
share=aspire, mountpoint=/mnt/network/MYACER/aspire
share=cddvd, mountpoint=/mnt/network/MYACER/cddvd
share=dyne, mountpoint=/mnt/network/MYACER/dyne
share=Eudyptula, mountpoint=/mnt/network/MYACER/Eudyptula
share=print$, mountpoint=/mnt/network/MYACER/print$
share=SharedDocs, mountpoint=/mnt/network/MYACER/SharedDocs
finished probing

started probing MYACER SMBSERVER
init_iconv: Conversion from UTF-16LE to CP850 not supported
init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from UTF-16LE to ASCII
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.21c]
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.21c]
share=Data, mountpoint=/mnt/network/SMBSERVER/Data
finished probing
func mount called: with
MACHINE=MYACER
IP=172.16.0.13
SHARE=Eudyptula
MOUNTPOINT=/mnt/network/MYACER/Eudyptula
USERNAME=
PASSWORD=?
USECIFS=true
Mount: MYACER Eudyptula failed
Unmount: error /mnt/network/MYACER/Eudyptula not in use

An interesting thing is , if i run smbclient direct from the command line, I can connect fine to all the shares and browse them, copy to and from them etc.

I realise HairyWill is otherwise engaged at the moment but thought I'd better log this now
nubc

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 17:49    Post subject:  

@purple_ghost
I have noticed in recent years that Lucent modems tend to show slow connection speeds. I always assumed this was because of the universal Lucent chipset generic driver. On the other hand, I do not observe that Agere chipset modems are slow. I believe Agere is manufactured by Lucent.

Anyway, I prefer to use Intel 536 modems. And this insert key bug is a major snag for me, because I have been installing (and stockpiling) Intel 536 modems for a while, since I learned that Puppy works with Intel 536/537 modems.
Patriot

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 20:36    Post subject:  

Hmmm .....

DaveS wrote:
Two small things:
In all Puppies in 4.2 series, hitting the power-off button on my laptop induced a controlled shut down. Not in 4.3 ........

In puppy 4.2 series, the acpi (button) daemon was a standard issue. For getting the same functionality, get the acpid-1.0.8-2-i486.pet from the official repository or from my old acpid thread here .....

I'm afraid I won't be much help with the wireless issue ...

Rgds
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 21:56    Post subject:  

purple_ghost,
Quote:
Minor fudge with Pup Dialer. The setting it always starts with is auto-reconnect set. Several years ago I had a lot of log in delays that required that I re-dial my ISP. The ISP said someone had set their computer to auto-reconnect to get the effect of 24/7 connection on dial up, which they were not paying for.
I hadn't thought of that use for "reconnect." What do you suggest I )as pupdial maintainer) do about that? Are you implying that "reconnect" should not be the default? That would be simple to implement. But would that impact well-behaved users significantly? Or should pupdial time out after some number of hours? More challenging and controversial, I suspect. I'm looking for things to fix in pupdial for 431.

nubc,
Quote:
I prefer to use Intel 536 modems. And this insert key bug is a major snag for me, because I have been installing (and stockpiling) Intel 536 modems for a while, since I learned that Puppy works with Intel 536/537 modems.
I am pleased to know someone is using -- and preferring -- those modems. Makes my work on the drivers more rewarding. I don't understand what you mean by "this insert key bug." Is that something I need to address? Are you using my replacement drivers posted in this thread -- just want to be sure they are OK.
Richard
Magruder

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 22:04    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Magruder wrote:
Can someone give me a hint on how to deal with the missing nic driver issue?
. . .
Rerwin, I downloaded and installed the 5 pets you made available. That didn't help. Can I just copy a folder or two containing drivers from the 4.2 setup over to 4.3? I did copy /initrd/mnt/dev_save/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/initrd/kernel/drivers; that apparently wasn't the one I need. Can't tell if I'm on the right track or not.
Magruder,
1. The .pets I uploaded apply only to Intel537 modems. You are asking about NIC drivers, so you don't need my .pets.

2. The 2.6.25.16 drivers should not be added to the main version of 4.3, because it is based on a different kernel. Drivers are built specifically for particular kernels, so should not be mixed. However, those drivers should work with the 4.3 based on the 2.6.25.16 kernel, but you should not need to do any of that. Please focus on installing puppy correctly instead of improvising and expecting us to make sense of it all.

3. If you don't see any drivers with the main 4.3 version, you don't have the zp430305.sfs file where puppy can find it. Although the advice I have seen here about that file directs you to place it in /mnt/home, I find that is needs to go wherever your pup_save file is -- in the /mnt/home/puppy430 subdirectory ("psubdir=puppy430" in your menu.lst kernel statement for invoking puppy 4.3) if that's where you put the other puppy files and your pup_saves. You do need to use the full-version iso to get most of the drivers, not the "small" version, as I understand the situation. And the drivers should be found if you run from the CD of the full version.

Please tell us more about exactly how you are trying to run Puppy 4.3. Thanks.
Richard

Richard,

It's fixed, thank you! Copying the zp430305.sfs file to the puppy430 directory in my frugal installation did the trick.

I've been booting off of the cd since version 1.2 or so. Recently I switched to a frugal install, and I'm trying to learn how everything fits together. This was another small piece of my education.
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2009, 04:05    Post subject: Bug, Bugs, Bugger...
Subject description: Copying Maxing Out ie. RedLining Blinky Applet Monitor

Sad Copying Maxing Out ie. RedLining Blinky Applet Monitor.
Also Browsers Seamunkey & Opera Crashing & Freezing, also Locking Windows on Top ( Not Responding, Altho the Mouse is Still Mobile ), Can sumtimes, But Not Always Kill from Pprocess Manager, Otherwise Drop Out o' X, ( Ctrl + Alt + BackSpace ), xwin
Config: Frugal install, But still Booting from CD cos I'm still Struggling w/ Grub BootLoader menu.lst File, Dual Booting w/ M$ Wind0'$.
Sorry if this has already been Reported, I haven't the time 2 Read the Last Couple o' Days Posts, which I did Previously then Ran Outa time ( I'm such a Slooow Reader Sad & Just as Slooow Typist )
Also Concerning Choices / Opinions about Preferred Desktop Background, I Really Like Both Brushed Aluminium & Current Sky Cloud, Y Can't We have Both ( a $ @ way ), 1 on Desktop 1, & the Other on Desktop 2 ?
Ps Deja Vu Dingo 4.3, on Distrowatch @ Number 2 & Rising ( Last 7 Days ). Smile Bust those Bugs!
Iguleder

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2009, 07:14    Post subject:  

Puppy pfix=ram doesn't work. pup-430.sfs not found. Both .25 and .30.5 kernels.
ARAN

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2009, 07:54    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Puppy pfix=ram doesn't work. pup-430.sfs not found. Both .25 and .30.5 kernels.

I have downloaded pup-430-small.iso from here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3/special-puppies/

and i can boot with puppy in to ram without any problems with your command "puppy pfix=ram"

It works all great beside cpu scalling.

I recommand you that zou download all iso files from ibiblio.

The first iso file i have downloaded from nlug and this was heavy broken and non working.

A lot of problems are probably the result of corrupted ISO files that have folders and files missing !
Page 9 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: