Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
Iguleder

#76 Post by Iguleder »

I'm talking about a Woofed 4.3 (all defaults). The original, Barry's "big" 4.3 doesn't boot at all, even from my flash drive. Beta 3 booted only from my flash drive, too.

I tried (in psubdir):
- pup_430.sfs
- pup-430.sfs
- pup-430.sfs + pup_430.sfs
- pup-430.sfs + pup_430.sfs + copies in root

None worked with my ext4 partition. But booting from my flash drive found the SFS on my HD and loaded it (so it booted faster :wink: ).

Something with 30.5's ext4?

EDIT: 430-small doesn't work too!
Currently testing:
- Woof- default 430, except changed themes and added Stardust icon theme, kernel 30.5, all modules (inc. SCSI, skipped all "cut-down" steps), zdrv, skipped stripping.
- Woof- same as above, kernel 2.6.25.16.
Last edited by Iguleder on Sun 20 Sep 2009, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

plaguedogs

#77 Post by plaguedogs »

no sound on dell inspiron 1525. module loads. it shows after an "lsmod" and alsa mixer shows my card, and it shows in /proc///codec file. i thought it was just 2.6.30.5 kernell but i tried the older 2.6.25.16 still no sound.. i have woofed a few pups with 2.6.30.5, none have sound. but my spups made with 2.6.29.6 work fine. my sound card in a sigmatel, covered by the hda snd intel module. and im having problems with devx. my boot config gui says its loaded but i can not run make or gcc. i am aware of the sfs3 and sfs4 situation, i have the correct version.

Brown Mouse

#78 Post by Brown Mouse »

James C wrote:If you followed this:

From the announcement thread:

Upgrading from an earlier puppy. If you have a "pup_save" file and you want to upgrade it, it has to be renamed. Say that you are booting from live-CD and you have 'pup_save-john.2fs' on the hard drive (or whatever) -- make a copy of it (to be on the safe side!) named 'pupsave.2fs', then boot or reboot Puppy 4.3. That's it, pup 4.3 only recognises save files of name 'pupsave*.2fs' (where '*' means wildcard).

.............then it's possibly a corrupted save file.

HTH
Those were the exact instructions I followed.
In the end I took the pupsave file from 421 off my hdd and did a clean install of 430 and it all seems to work fine now.
Regards

mawebb88

Testing pup-430 on an EeePC901

#79 Post by mawebb88 »

Testing pup-430 on an EeePC901

ALSA
Still problems for me. There is no master volume control (I reported this both in b2 & b3 I think)l. The volume control on the task bar is permanently indicating muted. If I right click in the task-bar volume icon I get the window with a master slider but cannot move it (see screen shot). Ran the Alsa wizard but no joy in fixing the problem.

Samba
I cannot create any Samba shares within 430. In 412 I have a /shared folder with "Path = /shared" in my smb.conf. In 430 I just get errors in the log of pnethood which I can replicate from the command line using

smbmount //192.168.1.239/shared /mnt/network/PUPPY_EEE/SHARED (I manually added this mount point).

Output is:
"Error connecting to 192.168.1.239 (Connection refused)" etc

I have Googled a lot on this but only red herrings so far.

(BTW pnethood still works fine with 430 with samba shares on my LANDisk as it did with 412)

I decided to rather that start from scratch with 430 as I was doing and go for a 412 upgrade using my 412 save file. The upgrade went reasonable ok so tested samba mounting the /shared folder again. Lo and behold it works!!!!. But but I still want to solve doing this without an upgrade as there were several other issues with this which I won't bother you with now (except for one. No sign of my 412 installed pets in the 430 Package Manager).

Copy/Paste from rxvt to Geany
For the life of me I cannot get this to happen. Installed sakura but still cannot paste to Geany

Any clues welcome to solve these issues?

To leave on a +ve note Seamonkey is faster what in 412.

Rgds Mike
Attachments
Sound_mixers.png
(62.63 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Last edited by mawebb88 on Sun 20 Sep 2009, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

eztuxer

#80 Post by eztuxer »

Wifi not working on AAO (Acer Aspire One).
Was working fine on beta 1&2.
Module ath5k loaded instead of ath_pci.

Mouse still sluggish with wired or wireless mouse.
Works fine on a Futjitsu Siemens desktop.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Rickrandom

#81 Post by Rickrandom »

aarf wrote:
Rickrandom wrote:I changed the file name from pup_430.sfs to pup-430.sfs, and it worked, so it seems to be a typo bug in the frugal install.

which 430 are you talking about?
in the iso itself, is it pup_430.sfs or pup-430.sfs?

in 430 small.iso it is correct at pup-430.sfs,.
I have the pup-430-small.iso (downloaded 18 Sept, 17:42 UK time) which Isobuster shows contains PUP_430.SFS (dated 16 Sept 09, 18:51:58)

jakfish

Re: Testing pup-430 on an EeePC901

#82 Post by jakfish »

Mike--

Re: samba--have you tried a variant of this? This is what I use to with 4.3 final, wifi, Samba, eee900-Dell e5500:

mkdir -p /mnt/network/BEAR/efile
mount-FULL -t cifs //192.168.***.***/efile /mnt/network/BEAR/efile -o username=guest,password=guest

Jake

Michalis

#83 Post by Michalis »

aarf wrote:everyone is saying how fast 430 is but mine, 430small, is noticeably slower than anything puppy i have used recently.
I have totally the same feeling by using 430small. 412 that I was using before was feeling much much faster.

Bug1: Whenever I try to connect to msn using default ayttm always crashes and can only hard reset the system. Have you compiled it with the option --enable-posix-dlopen ? If yes that must be the reason and is a known bug at version 0.6.0 and there is a fix for it at the latest cvs 0.6.0-1. More informations here

Bug2: How many official repositories are suppose to be for any version of puppy? I'm asking it because I have 3 for every version and comparing them with the help of Xdiff they are identical. Maybe that happened when I chosen to update them, but that means that every time someone updates will get more and more?
Also it seems that when I select puppy-woof-official is not being added at the first page, even when restarting ppm.
I have attached also a picture with the repositories.

Also I have a tiny request (less than 5kb) for future puppies and as I read in the forum also others too. Can we have numlock on by default? That needs numlockx and to add one line to .xinitrc --> "nulockx on".
Attachments
many reposytories.png
ppm bug?
(46.38 KiB) Downloaded 416 times

eztuxer

#84 Post by eztuxer »

Version 423 uses ath5k module too and it works fine with wlan0. :?:
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

davesurrey

#85 Post by davesurrey »

Yasou Michalis,
I saw the same Bug 2 in ttuuxxx's Puppy 2.20 which also uses the new PPM. So seems like a bug in the new PPM rather than just specifiic to 430.
Dave

aarf

#86 Post by aarf »

Rickrandom wrote:I have the pup-430-small.iso (downloaded 18 Sept, 17:42 UK time) which Isobuster shows contains PUP_430.SFS (dated 16 Sept 09, 18:51:58)
must have been the leprechauns.
Attachments
small.jpg
(51.51 KiB) Downloaded 1445 times

jakfish

Temperature Rise in 4.3 Final?

#87 Post by jakfish »

Does anybody monitor the temperature of their machine? If so, does anybody else notice a spike of two-to-three degrees celsius in 4.3 Final?

I'm using an eee 900, and see a decided rise in temperature, which could be many things, new kernel, some weird process happening in my own specs, or whatever.

I'm interested if anybody else can replicate this.

Jake

aarf

Re: Temperature Rise in 4.3 Final?

#88 Post by aarf »

jakfish wrote:Does anybody monitor the temperature of their machine? If so, does anybody else notice a spike of two-to-three degrees celsius in 4.3 Final?

I'm using an eee 900, and see a decided rise in temperature, which could be many things, new kernel, some weird process happening in my own specs, or whatever.

Jake
used to have temperature, calendar and wifi signal in 421, so where is the widget download.pet because i cant see it in the 430's package manager?

mawebb88

Re: Temperature Rise in 4.3 Final?

#89 Post by mawebb88 »

jakfish wrote:Does anybody monitor the temperature of their machine? If so, does anybody else notice a spike of two-to-three degrees celsius in 4.3 Final?

Jake
Same for me. Used to run at ~54 with 412 but now sometimes hits 60 and above on my EeePC901. I think we are missing the special drivers for this latest kernel to control he Eee's fan speed etc?

Rgds Mike

mawebb88

Package Manger problems

#90 Post by mawebb88 »

Earlier in this thread I reported I had upgraded from 412 to 430. None of my 412 installed apps appear in PM.

I just re-installed samba-3.0.25b from a pet file and bizarrely PM reported it as pstreamvid-1.3!

So I did it again and this time PM listed samba-3.0.25b (as well as pstream...)

In both cases PM after reporting successful installation just exited without returning to the main PM window.

Rgds Mike

Nb this is part of my quest to get the folder /shared to samba mount as reported earlier

Rickrandom

#91 Post by Rickrandom »

aarf wrote:
Rickrandom wrote:I have the pup-430-small.iso (downloaded 18 Sept, 17:42 UK time) which Isobuster shows contains PUP_430.SFS (dated 16 Sept 09, 18:51:58)
must have been the leprechauns.
In Windows (oh the shame, I guess Puppy will look inside an ISO without burning to a CD, but I don't know how) pup-430-small.iso contains PUP_430.SFS as attached:
Attachments
Iso _files.PNG
(37.24 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

DaveS

#92 Post by DaveS »

You guys that are having trouble finding the packages you want in Package Manager................. are you checking the radio button at the bottom of the left hand list for "all"?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mawebb88

412 to 430 upgrade

#93 Post by mawebb88 »

I and torn between starting fresh with 430 and doing an upgrade from my beloved 412. In view o the problems I am having with samba(server) on the fresh 430 approach I think I will resort to the 412 to 430 upgrade path.

To correct the PM problems I reported I will re-install (in the upgraded 430) all I have in the 412 save file so that PM builds the user-installed-packages file so I can see what's installed again. Tried copy/paste the alienpackages.txt contents to the user-installed-packages file but PM although it listed the ex 412 apps after an un-install of one app the pasted stuff was wiped!

Its the only approach I can think of to get rid on the special drivers (e.g. Eee fan control) out of the upgraded 430 as these are only valid for the previous kernel.

Rgds

Mike

r__hughes

#94 Post by r__hughes »

---------------------------------------------------------
reedited 22sep09 (Partview problem is NOT a PUP430 issue) see below
-------------------------

pup430 (full) grub-booted frugal on an IBM T22 Thinkpad & a DELL Dimension 2400 PC (both upgrades from pup425).
Works beautifully on both - exceeds expectations with regards to printing (native CUPS Canon S520 printer) & networking (T22 via D-Link DWL-610 wireless & PC via ethernet)
I have the devx-430.sfs & (SFS-Converted) OpenOffice-3.0.sfs4.sfs - All work fine.

I have 2 minor problems:-

1) pup430 pmount has a problem recognizing some of my USB devices eg my Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4G - not recognized/displayed by pmount (even though booted from it) - have to use MUT (which is the solution) & Puppy Event Manager & Restart X server to get it on the desktop. I have also made it a bootable USB flash drive using the Universal Installer but need to use mbr.bin (not the default setting) to make it bootable on my DELL PC.

2) Even though I have successfully installed several pet & unleashed packages I have problems installing partview - It appears to install & even puts itself (ineffectively) in the menu under Filesystem but when run from the terminal gives this scripting error (even though the partview script is identical to the one from pup421)
# partview
Error in startup script: child process exited abnormally
while executing
"exec /bin/losetup-FULL /dev/loop1 | grep "/pup_save" | cut -f 2 -d "(" | cut -f 1 -d ")" | cut -f 4 -d "/" "
(procedure "df_check" line 11)
invoked from within
"df_check"
(file "/usr/sbin/partview" line 84)
#
I miss partview! I use it a lot together with gdmap (which I am pleased to see is a standard pup430 menu/filesystems item :) - I have to manage very big files/folders on a tight laptop diskspace budget & partview helps a lot.

22sep09
re: partview problem
A) virgin pup430 save-file with no extras from fullsize pup-430.iso
installed partview-4.1.pet run from terminal gives error :(
# partview
bash: /usr/sbin/partview: /usr/bin/wish: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
#
B) Ditto from virgin pup430 save-file with no extras from pup-430-small.iso :(

C) Attempted upgrade from pup421 was a complete disaster with no icons AND no partview :(

Note: from A) & B) above it is clear that a wish library is missing
from my original problem in (2) above it is clear I have an old version of wish installed :( :(
ie This is NOT a Puppy 4.3 problem
----------------------------------------------
Last edited by r__hughes on Tue 22 Sep 2009, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny-M

#95 Post by Kenny-M »

Puppy 430-k2.6.25.16-SCSI

A lot of material coeverd here, sorry. It's getting so close I can touch it.

Can now install CS4236 sound driver without system crashing during shutdown. Great.

Problem, volume control Zmixer does not work. Can not move Master output. I have to use Alsa Mixer. After reboot volume apparently is reset to 0.

I used Gparted to create an EXT2 partition on sdb1 and an FAT32 partition sdb2. They functionally work under Puppy however Windows XP does not recognize the FAT32 partition and ignores it. I have Ext2Explorer from:
http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs
It seems to no longer be able to open the EXT2 partition?

Universal Installer now installs to SCSI drive. Great. I used Frugal install. However you have to run Grub as a seperate task. As a safety measure I insltalled boot info to a floppy drive and the Grub binaries and menu.lst to sdb1/boot/grub which works OK. Now that I know it works how do I put the boot info from the floppy onto the first hard drive? The second drive partition 1 holds Puppy.

SMB printing works to an XP print server OK however there still exists error messges displayed in the ESP Printers window complaining about Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED) although it works.

I am able to download and use PET files OK. What's the deal with SFS files? Do they now require special procedures? Example, say I want to install the devx-SFS3_430.sfs (can I assume this will work with 430-k2.6.25.16-SCSI?) ?

Last, will the 430-k2.6.25.16-SCSI version continued to be updated and fixed and what impact does this have on the standard version runninng 2.6.30.5 if I were to create programs?

Thanks...