Lucent hardware modem problem

Please post any bugs you have found
Diamond

Lucent hardware modem problem

#1 Post by Diamond »

Hello to all!

My hardware (analog dial up) modem is recognized by puppy 2 and 3 out-of-the-box.
In puppy 4,I tried to probe modems,but with no sucess.

What is the problem ?
Many thanx!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Try Puppy 4.3, it will be released by the end of this week.
It has heaps of modem drivers, Lucent software modems too.

But, if you have a hardware modem then there should be no problem.

The dialup programs in 4.3 have been worked on by rerwin, and perhaps your particular problem is fixed.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rerwin

#3 Post by rerwin »

Diamond,
Thanks for posting your concern about support for your Lucent modem. Because some old or ISA Lucents may not be supported in Puppy 4.3, due to the old driver not being maintained, could you tell us more about your modem and its hardware IDs (from pupscan), so I can research it?

If it doesn't get detected in 4.3, you will be limited to 4.1.2 or 4.2.1 and maybe 4.3beta1, all of which use the trusty 2.6.25.16 kernel and should have the old driver. Thanks.
Richard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Ah, I have kept quiet about it, wanted to encourage everyone to use the 2.6.30.5 kernel as I reckon its pretty good, but for 4.3 final I will be providing builds with the 2.6.25.16 kernel, maybe even the 2.6.21.7 kernel.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rerwin

#5 Post by rerwin »

Diamond, Barry,
I misspoke in my previous posting. I find that there is an updated ltmodem driver which compiles cleanly. But it supports the same hardware IDs as the newer martian_dev driver. I need to dig around to see what the story is on this.

I favor holding off including the ltmodem driver until we know whether there are still cases that martian_dev ignores. We could patch the ltmodem code to support only the IDs we find don't work with martian_dev. Or we could offer ltmodem as a dotpet that users can try if needed. BTW, the new ltmodem requires changes to the firmware.dep and ltmodem initialization script files, due to module-name changes that omit ltserial.

Regardless, the modem info I requested above would still be helpful in resolving Diamond's problem.
Richard

Diamond

#6 Post by Diamond »

agere systems LT win modem
vendor 11c1 device 044c kernel:unknown

I hope everything will work just like in older puppy.
Many thanx for your patience and supporting of old hardware!

rerwin

#7 Post by rerwin »

Diamond,
I assume you are running a puppy based on 4.1.2, judging from another of your posts. I just now looked at my 4.1.2 setup regarding the drivers for your modem and see an apparent conflict. We need to try resolving the conflict, to possibly get you going. This makes use of the BootManager.

As I see it, puppy 4.1.2 defaults to "blacklist (don't use) the older ltserial driver, at all," but "use the old driver in preference to the newer one!" Which takes precedence? I do not know why pupscan shows "unknown" for the driver name, but it might have a bug. Both the old and new drivers are listed for your modem, 11c1:044c. So, let's try the newer driver, then the older if the newer fails.

To use the newer driver, go to the BootManager, Menu > System > BootManager, click on the last button, "Give preference to one module over another". In the listing, delete the entry: "martian_dev:ltserial", as you would with an editor. Click OK and Quit, then reboot to see if the modem is detected.

If that is unsuccessful, Go to BootManager and change the blacklisted driver: delete "ltserial" and find, highlight, and Add martian_dev to the blacklist. See if a reboot improves things.
Richard

Diamond

#8 Post by Diamond »

I tried first way.But second way is even impossible to try.There is no martian_dev under the list of currently loaded drivers.

webworm98

#9 Post by webworm98 »

rerwin

I think Agree is a Lucent modem. That why I posted here.

Do you know if anyone got the agree system pci modem working in puppy?

Which version of puppy would you recommend for this configuration

128 mb memory
40 gb hard drive

Where could I buy that version on CD?

Thank you for your help.

rerwin

#10 Post by rerwin »

Diamond,
There is no martian_dev under the list of currently loaded drivers.
Since martian_dev does support 11c1:044c, I trust you are using 4.3, but suspect you are not including the zp430305.sfs file in your installation. That is where martian_dev is. But, contrary to other advice I have seen, the zp...sfs file must be in the same directory as the pupsave file you are using. That could be /mnt/home. but more likely is should be in your puppy subdirectory (psubdir=???, in menu.lst kernel statement) It should also be available when booting from a CD.
Richard