resolv.conf ends up in circular links > no internet access

Please post any bugs you have found
disciple

resolv.conf ends up in circular links > no internet access

#1 Post by disciple »

This is a problem that seems to have been around for at least four years, although I think normally the people who report it are connecting with adsl modems rather than through an ethernet card to a router with DHCP.

The last time I saw it reported was for 4.3 beta 1 or release candidate 1 or something, and I didn't see any report that it was fixed. My experience is with 4.1.1:
I installed Puppy on a friend's USB drive, and we played around with it on a computer at work. He then took it home and had to rerun the network wizard, and then brought it back to work and reran the network wizard, and then took it home and couldn't connect to the internet even after running the network wizard. The reason is that /etc/resolv.conf had somehow been replaced by a link to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, which itself is a link to /etc/resolv.conf. On both computers we are connecting via ethernet to a router with DHCP. My friend is completely new to Linux so wasn't messing around with configuration files or anything, so somehow the gui wizard scripts or something must be at fault.

What I want to know is:
1. Does anyone have any idea why this problem would occur occasionally, or what is causing it?
2. Does anyone know if it has by any chance been fixed in 4.3?
3. Does anyone know a reason why the network setup wizard shouldn't delete the two resolv.conf files / links (or rename them with a .bak or something) to make sure they can be created properly?

Thanks.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I think this was an issue using modems with roaring penguin, a problem since Puppy 1.
Since I use ethernet network (also sometimes wireless), I did not encounter this any more.
So there must be a second bug somewhere.

But I have no idea, where we could find it :oops:
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Ah - he didn't really know what he was doing, so apparently he did try the roaring penguin option when the internet didn't work after using the button to connect via ethernet. So I guess the roaring penguin probably was what caused the circular links... but if it was then we don't know why the ethernet setup didn't work :(
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER