Remove Dotpup Package Installer from menu

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
MU

Remove Dotpup Package Installer from menu

#1 Post by MU »

Barry, there was a longer discussion evaluating the pros and cons of the Dotpup-Downloader.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3804

I think it should be removed from the Puppy-menu.
When I have added some things to dotpups.de in future (talking about some weeks), it might be added again as a third entry:

PupGet
DotPups (opening mozilla with the Wiki)
Dotpupdownloader (opens a Info-Message first: "Downloader for Dotpups.de, an Online-Repository for some additional Dotpups")

Greets,Mark

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Just to avoid confusion:
this is just a suggestion.
You also may leave it in there, if you prefer that.

The discussion showed up several problems that indicate, it should be used by advanced users only.
New users should learn to use the Wiki first (they might download the DPDL from there, if they want it).

I personally do not mind, if it is in the menu or not :)

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

to make my position clear (well, less muddy)

i don't mind anyone using the DPDL
i don't mind the DPDL being built into Puppy
i don't mind the DPDL being in the menu

the DPDL does have some limitations and disadvantages (and probably some advantages too)

i think Puppy newbies think it is the only way the dotpup system works, and it can cause some confusion, if they are not aware of some of the DPDL's limitations (when i first thought of the idea, i considered a downloader gui and i figured it has a number of disadvantages, and decided it would be better to use the tools that already exist, in particular, the web browser as the interface ... why reinvent the wheel?)

i did not intend the dotpup system to be a package manager or to be the interface to a package repository (though limiting dotpups to a repository might be a good idea ... i thought of digitally signing them, but pgp is not small, and people tend to click "install anyway")

the dotpup system can be used the way i intended, whether the DPDL is installed or not ... it does not interfere with the dotpup system at all ... it's just that a lot of Puppy users don't realize that ... or even that there is another way to do it

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I've got a rough idea how I might satisfy everybody.