Puppy 4.4 CE - Phase 1: pet tests

This is where threads concerning the development of the next version of Puppy live.
nooby

#241 Post by nooby »

Okay!
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

upnorth

TCZ files are squashfs 4

#242 Post by upnorth »

Nooby;

A contemporary .tcz file is actually an .sfs "squash file system" that was created by the mksquashfs command with a blocksize of 4096 bytes. These files contain a compressed and read only file system.

They are loop-mounted conventionally as:
mount -t squashfs %f /<mountpoint> -o loop

But, if the file were named with an .sfs extension, a single click would mount it, and a subsequent click would unmount it.

Some tinycore applications can be run this way in puppy, but this would be experimental and maybe risky.

EDIT: That is to say, you can download a tinycore .tcz file, rename it such that it has the .sfs extentension, and it will then be mountable via click in ROX. The risk is only with respect to dependencies, conflicts, etc. But I haven't yet tried any of the automated systems.
Last edited by upnorth on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#243 Post by technosaurus »

Puppy already had the ability to use deb, tgz, pet and sfs packages ... this just added another my patches to petget allow txz as well

... still waiting on rpm support though - maybe the busybox I uploaded in the testing thread will help with that
  • rpm
    rpm -i -q[ildc]p package.rpm

Manipulate RPM packages

Options:

-i Install package
    -q Query package
    -p Query uninstalled package
    -i Show information
    -l List contents
    -d List documents
    -c List config files

rpm2cpio
    rpm2cpio package.rpm

Output a cpio archive of the rpm file
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

nooby

#244 Post by nooby »

Thanks, very good and welcomed features to be able to make use of other linux repository. sooner or later Puppy will a modularised toolbox that allow people to make their own best distro that perform as well as any of the more known distros.

the title of the thread says

Puppy 4.4 CE - Phase 1: pet tests

So Technosarius you want us to test if the pets works in 44 and report what looks like weird behavior?

Sorry me have so poor memory. did I write somewhere that one of the puppeies fail to remember the setxkbmap se or fi or some other european setting of keyboard, Could it be this puppie? while waiting for that to be corrected

can one write in menu.lst some cheat code that force it to be Swedish?

When zigbert changed from Stardust 011 to 012 he was kind enough to uncheck the box in CC to not index the whole HDD. Now when people have HDD on some 500GB or 1000GB it is annoying to have that as default. Those who need it can turn it on in the CC easily.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Jim1911

#245 Post by Jim1911 »

Over 3 weeks since a post on this thread. What is current status of 4.4CE?

Thanks,
Jim

bigpup

new release

#246 Post by bigpup »

I think it is time for an updated release. Make it the best, from all the puppies and lets get some input from people, on what they like and want to have. Lets have Seamonkey 2.0.3 and the latest Firefox.
Try some new stuff and get the input going. If you like something say so. If you do not like something say so. Give us a chance to try it and see.

mistfire

Curremt status of XFCE

#247 Post by mistfire »

Jim, The current status of xfce is in version 4.6.2