searchmonkey: Gtk2 file searching program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

searchmonkey: Gtk2 file searching program

#1 Post by muggins »

http://searchmonkey.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page
What is searchmonkey?

A fast real-time search engine for displaying regular expression matches (both file name and content) across multiple directories.

Menu->Filesystem->SearchMonkey
Attachments
searchmonkey-0.8.1-i486.pet
(65.36 KiB) Downloaded 788 times

Joshas

#2 Post by Joshas »

Doesn't work on Puppy 4 - gives "Segmentation Fault" error. Tried compiling from source - same results.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Hi Joshas,

yes, I just rebooted into pup4 and it's seg-faulting. Oddly ldd is showing all dependencies as being met. It must be some Gtk discrepancy. Did it compile without comlaint on pup4?

One of these days I'll have to get around to sussing out proper usage of gdb to track these sort of problems down.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Joshas wrote:Doesn't work on Puppy 4 - gives "Segmentation Fault" error. Tried compiling from source - same results.
What is a segmentation fault? I got this trying to run Xara in Dingo (but has not yet been recompiled for Puppy 4)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

It usually results when a program accesses memory outside it's allocated space. Or maybe the program tries to access a resource at a particular memory location, but the resource isn't there. It can be a real pain tracking down the offending line/lines of code.

Joshas

#6 Post by Joshas »

It compiles without errors on Puppy 4, not sure if there was any warnings. I tried using gdb, here's what I got:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xb7d479cf in gdk_window_invalidate_rect () from /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
I might retry debugging after reading a gdb manual.
Also, I've reported this bug to searchmonkey bug tracker at sourceforge.

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

I think to use an binary with gdb you need to compile it with the debug info set.
Before you can get started, the program you want to debug has to be compiled with debugging information in it. This is so gdb can work out the variables, lines and functions being used. To do this, compile your program under gcc (or g++) with an extra '-g' option:

gcc -g eg.c -o eg
If you wanted to try a gui frontend for gdb, I've uploaded a .pet of ddd in this thread. (Wouldn't it be ironic if ddd didn't work as well!).

There's also a tcl based gdb frontend called insight. Being tcl-based it's quite easy to get going...at least on pre-4 pups.

Joshas

#8 Post by Joshas »

Thanks muggins, but ddd PET doesn't work on Puppy4. Something wrong with dependencies. Might try to make it work later, or even compile it, but now I'll just have to stick with commandline gdb.
EDIT: tried to compile ddd on Puppy4 - got an error:
In file included from /usr/include/Xm/XmP.h:1646,
from ScrolleGEP.h:37,
from ScrolledGE.C:33:
/usr/include/X11/VendorP.h:87: error: previous declaration of 'VendorShellClassRec vendorShellClassRec' with 'C++' linkage
/usr/include/Xm/VendorSP.h:58: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
make[2]: *** [ScrolledGE.o] Error 1
Lesstif compiled without problems.
Whole conversation got out of topic, maybe it's time for move?
Last edited by Joshas on Mon 12 May 2008, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Joshas,

are you after searchmonkey in particular, or just any file search program? Have you looked at findwild?

Joshas

#10 Post by Joshas »

I'm after searchmonkey, unless there's another file search application with "classic" interface and minimal set of dependencies. findwild is an interesting program, but the GUI is too weird. Another must is an ability to localize UI.

UPDATE: after compiling Insight (it took some time, and result weighs 50MB) I finally managed to get searchmonkey running - no more segmentation faults. To fix it, I just commented out two lines in interface.c source code:
1271: gtk_text_view_set_overwrite (GTK_TEXT_VIEW (textview1), TRUE);
1300: gtk_text_view_set_overwrite (GTK_TEXT_VIEW (textview4), TRUE);
I'm not sure what is wrong with theese lines (might need to check out GTK docs), and I have no idea how to fix it properly, so any help is welcome.

Pelo

Searchmonkey efficient nowadays (2013)

#11 Post by Pelo »

Running Racy 5.3... and everywhere
click and see that post below :
Searchmonkey
Attachments
searmonkey 0.8.1.jpg
(68.11 KiB) Downloaded 475 times