How to install browser with rpm?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
orrin

How to install browser with rpm?

#1 Post by orrin »

Has anyone tried to install a browser (or any other software) in
Puppy using rpm?

It looks as if the version in Slacko 64-6.3.2 will let you install but not remove!
The -e or -u options are missing.
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Which browser is it you want to install? There may be an easier way, no installation necessary. For instance, I simply downloaded the latest Firefox from Mozilla.com (evidently the website could tell without askine which version would work with 32-bit UpupBB Linux,) decompressed it with the appropriate program in Puppy (I forget what the program is called. It's the one that opens if I left-click on a compressed file,) dragged the resulting Firefox folder into /tmp for a test (but it doesn't seem to matter where you put the Firefox folder when you use it the way I'm describing,) right-clicked on the folder and chose Permissions, then Yes, opened the folder, found the gear icon named Firefox, dragged it onto the desktop (this step is optional) and clicked on it. Like magic, Firefox opened.

That might be complicated to read, but it only rakes a few seconds to do after you download Firefox.

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi orrin,

I don't install web-browsers, or anything else if I can help it; rather prefer creating SFSes or running applications from external folders. See flash's post above. And mostly, I run 'ubuntu-based' puppies.

But I noticed that the commands you saw available were those using urxvt. Under 'ubuntu based' puppies when you left-click a 'deb' [ubuntu's native package format], it will be installed with --I think petget-- and appear as an installed application under Puppy Package Manager. PPM can then be used to uninstall it. And I've also noticed that when under 'ubuntu-based' puppies packages in txz format [Slackware's packaging format] are left clicked, a pupzip dialog will open asking whether you want to extract or install it. If install is selected I think, again, petget would perform the work and, again, Puppy Package Manager would be able to uninstall it. But, that's a guess as I've never done it.

At any rate, I'm just wondering if the absence of the -e and -u arguments is a result of the tool, urxvt, selected; and whether, in any event, the installation would be logged in [/root/.packages] as a package which PPM could uninstall.

There's only one way to find out. But, backup your SaveFile/Folder first. :)

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

You can install a .rpm package by just clicking on it in ROX.
It will install same as a .pet or .deb
To uninstall, use PPM. It should appear there in the uninstall list.

There can be a few issues such as missing icons, menu entries and such like.
You can tweak paths in .desktop files and make other alterations to correct things.

Alternatively, extract the .rpm as a directory tree (with UExtract for example), do your tweaks and then make a .pet or a .sfs package of it instead.

Posting this from a .rpm of Vivaldi browser which I just installed in a fresh boot of Dpup Stretch
Oscar in England

orrin

#5 Post by orrin »

Thanks for the info guys... much appreciated!
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Well, did any of it do you any good? A little positive feedback can be a good thing. :)