VirtualBox 3.2.8 for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
TheAsterisk!

VirtualBox 3.2.8 for many Puppies

#1 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Starting with a VirtualBox package made for Puppeee (found here), I've made several VBox packages for different Puppy versions.
They can be found at the following location: http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... Box-3.2.8/

So far, I have packaged versions for Puppy 431, Lucid Puppy 511, Puppy 421, Puppy 421-retro, Puppy 412, Puppy 412-retro, and Puppy 301. There is also another package that will install onto any Puppy with its devx and kernel source sfs modules loaded, compiling drivers upon installation.

Additional languages can be installed with the NLS package, suitable for all the packages. (There seem to be some issues with uninstalling the main VBox package if you've installed the NLS package, particularly on Puppy releases older than 431, so be prepared for that possibility.)

Dependencies vary between Puppy versions, but it tends to be SDL and/or libGLU. You can check the info.html file (follow the link up above) for details, but if you're running a version of Puppy I haven't covered then I'd recommend installing the VBox package, then running the command "VirtualBox" from a terminal to determine the particulars for your Puppy version.
If people have trouble finding SDL or libGLU packages, let me know and I'll post a few links.

The ready-to-go binary packages are all about 22 MB as dot-pets, 59 MB installed. The all_kernels package is about 23 MB as a dot-pet, 64 MB or a little bit more installed. The NLS package is about 2.9 MB as a pet, 12 MB installed.

---------------------------
If you want a pet package for another Puppy version (or a Puplet), then provided you have a kernel source package and a devx package, you can either make one yourself very easily from the all_kernels pet or feel free to request it here. (I may need help tracking down the kernel source packages, but that's all.)

EDIT (12 DEC 2010): The same binary can be used for both 412 and 421, and another for both 421-retro and 412-retro. I've uploaded two new packages with updated names to reflect the extra information, and I've deleted the two older packages.
I also updated the name of the package for Lucid 511.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Luci (5.2) , but wait for virtualbox 4 to be released. It is in beta testing atm.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

TheAsterisk!

#3 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Burn_IT wrote:Luci (5.2) , but wait for virtualbox 4 to be released. It is in beta testing atm.
To clarify, I meant requests for VBox 3.2.8 for other Puppies, but I'll probably try to install VBox 4 on Puppy eventually anyway. No guarantees, though.

TheAsterisk!

#4 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Mostly good news: the *.run installer for VirtualBox 4.0.0 works as is, but I can't seem to get the sound working. VBox complains that the host audio isn't responding, but it's not ALSA since that works fine on its own.
Since Oracle packs the proprietary features into an extension pack now, though, I can at least try to compile the source code and see if that behaves better.

I'll upload a package of whichever produces better results soon. If I can get it running on 511, 52 shouldn't be much work when it comes to that.

EDIT: 4.0.0 is up (in a new thread).