Canon MP620 **SOLVED**

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Patriot

#16 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

My apologies ..... for the next week or so, my web connectivity (and thus my presence) will be rather limited. I have determined that my devices are all in good order. Our ISP is still unable to solve my connectivity issues and their technicians are also somewhat perplexed.

Ok, I'll try to be brief and to the point:
rgs wrote: ..... It shows as cups-1.3.11_i486 in the package manager.
Unless Pet Package Manager borks the installation, when you say that you have cups-1.3.11 already shown in the PPM then that would mean cups-1311 is already installed.

To confirm, cups-1311 is installed do in a terminal:
# cups-config --version
rgs wrote:........ I can not find that installer.

Will you please advise me as to how to properly proceed to upgrade cups from v1.1.23 to v1.3.11? .........
I'm sorry, you lost me there .... Could you kindly explain what happened ? After you have downloaded the cups-1311 pet, you did click on the pet and did it display the setup window? I've already done basic cups-1311 setup tests on p430 and it works normally as it did on previous puppy versions ... If there's any problem there, I'd like to know how to reproduce ...

If you did get the setup window, the selected defaults should work just fine ... For a feel good effect, a reboot can help ... After cups-1311 have been installed, to get wireless printing, remove the printer in question and add it in again. Also, ensure that no other computer is running cups shares (or just turn them off for a while) ... Your wireless printer should have a uri similar to this: bjnp://192.168.2.x:8611 (the x will indicate actual printer ip address) .....

Rgds

rgs

#17 Post by rgs »

Patriot, Thank you so much for not abandoning me as a lost cause, as I had expected.
I hope you get your connectivity issue resolved soon. With all of the time you are online helping people, you are probably wearing everything out :(

Here are my latest attempts:

1. checked the cups version by typing # cups-config --version in a terminal. It showed 1.1.23.

2. uninstalled cups 1.3.11-i486 in the package manager.

3. went to Patriot post "common unix printing system v 1.3.11.

4. downloaded modular pet cups 1.3.11 stable release.

5. a window opens -"data file host". cups- 1.3.11-i486. download-click here. I clicked on it.

6. firefox window opened; "opening cups-1.3.11-i486 .pet". Open with Petget. clicked on OK.

7. puppy package manager opens ; "click 'ok' button to confirm that you wish to install this package. cups-1.3.11-i486.pet. I clicked on "OK".

8. package manager window opened. "the following package has been sucessfuly installed: package; cups-1.3.11-i486 category;none --note, this package does not have a menu entry. I clicked on "OK".

9. Then I typed #cups-config -- version in a terminal and it showed 1.1.23.

10. rebooted, and tried again; same result, 1.1.23.

11. tried again by downloading to a save file instead of using petget. When I click on the package it opens package manager and installs it.

12. A final check with package manager confirms that it is installed.
After you have downloaded the cups-1311 pet, you did click on the pet and did it display the setup window?
I do not understand how to "click on the pet and display the setup window." If by setup window you refer to the item on your download page "This pet has a specially designed installer that provides a modular install from a single pet. See sample screen shot.", I have not seen it anywhere except on your page with the download.

I also did not uninstall cups 1.1.23 yet. Is it necessary to do that first? If so can you please tell me what needs to uninstalled?

Patriot

#18 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

It seems that I've borked the post install script ... there's one tiny curly bracket left dangling in the script that breaks the installation ...

rgs, my apologies ... I must have inadvertently uploaded the incorrect cups package, again ... The CUPS package have been updated with the correct package now ...

If you could kindly download the cups package just one more time and I suggest selecting the option "Save it to disk" when prompted by your browser ... Once download is completed, just click on the cups-1.3.11-i486.pet package and the pet package manager will install it automatically. This also allows you to have a copy of the package for future use ...

Again, I apologize for the borked CUPS package and also for being unable to reply sooner. I've been in web limbo for nearly a week now and hopefully my lines will be back up soon ... I'll monitor your progress and will reply as soon as possible ,,,

Rgds

rgs

#19 Post by rgs »

Dear Patriot

Thank you for your kind assistance, patience and dedication.
I can now print! You solved it!

Also, so far I have seen no problems with Firefox or anything else. Everything seems to work as before.

My thanks also to Muggins, and Ttuuxxx, for their help.

Sincerely grateful,
RGS

Patriot

#20 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Good to know that you can now print through the wireless connectivity ... I'm just glad to be able to help ...

Thank you for having the patience to go through the troubleshooting process. It took a wee bit while longer than I thought it should but I'm glad that we're able to resolve this ...

Rgds