CUPS won't start (Puppy 4.2)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
owend

CUPS won't start (Puppy 4.2)

#1 Post by owend »

Hi, I'm new to Puppy (4.2, Cups 1.3.11) with a hard-install to an Acer netbook a110; longterm Linux user on main machine (currently Mint 7) so not totally newb!

I can't get Puppy to print: CUPS won't start, with the error message "Failed to connect to localhost:631"; after that the internet connection usually dies, although email and browser run fine without CUPS's help.

What am I doing wrong (probably something simple :oops: !)

Patriot

Re: CUPS

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
owend wrote:........ CUPS won't start, with the error message "Failed to connect to localhost:631"; after that the internet connection usually dies, although email and browser run fine without CUPS's help.

What am I doing wrong (probably something simple :oops: !)
Actually, you didn't do anything wrong there ... The cups startup scripts are kinda borked in p420 ... it's noted here and here ... don't use the System -> Manage Printing ...

If you get the error message above, that means cups were gunned down by the startup scripts ... open a terminal and restart cups:

# /etc/init.d/cups start

Whenever you need to access your printer, open your browser and point to http://localhost:631/ ... I'll try to workout a suitable fix for those scripts in a while ...

Rgds

owend

CUPS and HP710C working! (Problem olved)

#3 Post by owend »

Thanks, Patriot! It all worked perfectly in about a minute - I said it was something simple! The big distros (eg my Mint 7) do have advantages with easy oob setup; I don't mind the fiddling, but I just couldn't work out why it wasn't working!

I've put Puppy on a partition on my Acer a110 dual-booting with the original Linpus for testing; I'll probably reinstall to the whole 8Gb SSD in a week or so. Puppy takes up less than 350Mb of a 2Gb partition and does most of what I want - amazing little distro! Especially now I can print!! :lol:

Patriot

#4 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Great ! ..... you have a working printer ...

I have a quick fix for the borked menu. Unpack the archive and click on the cupsmenufix script. It will replace the "system -> manage printing" with "system -> cups printer manager" that goes straight to http://localhost:631/ ....

Now let's have some more fun with puppy ...

Rgds
Attachments
cupsmenufix.tar.gz
(521 Bytes) Downloaded 595 times

owend

CUPS & printing

#5 Post by owend »

Again thanks - it's still printing well!

PupGeek

#6 Post by PupGeek »

I can get a cups interface up no problem but when I click "add printer" it tries to load the next page and it never seems to get there.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Boot off the Live CD with "puppy pfix=ram" and run CUPS. Do you get the same behaviour?

PupGeek

#8 Post by PupGeek »

I should try that shouldn't I?..... though I don't believe I have ever gotten it to work that way either.

PupGeek

#9 Post by PupGeek »

well dayam'd if that didn't work! Now to figure out why I had to do that in the first place.... thanks rc

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

I wonder if there is a corrupt page in the cache of the little browser used to display the CUPS web interface. Try running your regular web browser and going to localhost:631

PupGeek

#11 Post by PupGeek »

oh it worked.... and it always used seamonkey to come up.... trouble is it wouldnt go any further than the cups homepage but it worked just fine with a pfix=ram