Avast AV, AVG, Avira AV, Clam AV, F-Prot, Moon AV, Panda AV

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
yorkiesnorkie

Clam AV

#46 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

otropogo wrote:After skimming through page three of this thread, it's still not clear to me whether any AV program other that x-fprot is available to run under Puppy 4.3.1.

I looked at the AVG link, and saw compatibility with Windows 7 and XP mentioned. Clamscan's link seems to be targeted at Linux users, but I didn't see any link for downloading a pet.
You can get a ClamAV pet for puppy linux 4.3.1 here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57630. I compiled it myself and it works.

Y.
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

yorkiesnorkie

Re: Clarity on Pupps(s) and Antivirus

#47 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

gcmartin wrote:It appears from reading this thread, that Anti-virus packages on Puppy(s) is misleading. Why??? Well, it appears that what I see, here, is that there are 2 classifications of Anti-virus software available of Linux users:
  1. software for anti-virus detection ONLY
  2. software that will clean/clear/quarantine anti-virus files
From what I see here, it appears that (maybe) there is collusion among the Anti-virus providers that
NO LINUX SYSTEM WILL BE ALLOWED TO "TOUCH" ANY NTFS!

Am I correct in this observation?
  • What AV programs has anyone used that quarantines or repairs infected files on NTFS partitions?
  • Any AVs running under current version 5+ Puppies?
The purpose of the post, when I began it, was simply to figure out what anti-virus software I could run from puppy Linux on my old PC to detect any potential virus threat on Win98SE partitions. My problem was that I have Win98SE on a couple of PCs and the vendors had stopped supporting Win98SE so I couldn't update my antivirus def files to catch newer threats.

After trying a couple of things, and simply making note of what was available, I settled on ClamAV which can check other partitions. Others like to use Fprot. Both are good. I've never found anything to bother Puppy Linux, but I've caught a few problems on my old Win98SE platforms using ClamAV. Needless to say, Puppy is now my OS of choice and I rarely ever use Windows.

I don't think there's any particular "conspiracy" :) AVG has a linux based CD which is a tool to run their detection tool if you would like to give that a try. I mentioned that in another post in the Security/Privacy forum but I haven't tried it myself since I use ClamAV. NTFS is, I understand, a proprietary file system whose full secrets rest with MS. However, I don't think you'll find any problem checking NTFS with ClamAV or Fprot. If you can mount the file system, you should be able to open a command line window in the directory you want to check, and check the files within those directories with the Linux tools.

Good luck,

Y.

gcmartin

Missing AV support in Pups

#48 Post by gcmartin »

I have LightHouse 5.00D, Puppy 5..1.1 and FATDOG. All seemingly are missing both clamscan and fpscan at the Terminal window. (also none appear in the Menu).

What would anyone recommend to add one/both of these to a running Puppy?
Are there PETs available?
Are thre SFSs available?
should I just go to their websites?

Thanks in advance...

yorkiesnorkie

Re: Missing AV support in Pups

#49 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

gcmartin wrote:I have LightHouse 5.00D, Puppy 5..1.1 and FATDOG. All seemingly are missing both clamscan and fpscan at the Terminal window. (also none appear in the Menu).

What would anyone recommend to add one/both of these to a running Puppy?
Are there PETs available?
Are thre SFSs available?
should I just go to their websites?

Thanks in advance...
Wow, ok, well I'm using 4.3.1. myself. FPscan is in 4.3.1, I compiled ClamAV for puppy 4.3.1, version 0.96.1 because I had issues with the XFprot interface. There's nothing saying you can't give the package I made a try with 5.1.1 but I doubt it'll work with Lighthouse lets say because that one is based on Puppy 2.1.5... Fatdog is 64 bit and the regular 32bit pet packages aren't supposed to work with it unless you install something extra...

If there isn't a PET package already available for the distros you are using someone will have to compile ClamAV for you, unless you'd like to try it yourself. Matters are complicated here by your using different distros. You'd have to dig deep and see if anyone has compiled current versions of the software your looking for. It's always possible.

Another strategy in the interim might be to simply run a frugal install of 4.3.1 while your looking; which is pretty easy to do since you seem familiar with the distros already. If you have an urgent requirement.

In any event you can get the ClamAV 0.96.1 pet for 4.3.1 in the following post if you want to try it with 5.1.1: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57630 Let me know if it works!

Y.

pemasu

#50 Post by pemasu »

As I stated earlier, for Lucid Puppy 5.1 and 5.1.1 there is F-prot 6 pet in the official lucid repo. It probably needs updating repo packages file before you can see it in PPM.

But here is direct link and advice howto install and use fpscan: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 530#448530

Frank Cox

Avast4 workstations

#51 Post by Frank Cox »

Avast for workstations does not protect the Linux system. it scans the places you tell it to. I have it installed on this flash drive Puppy ver 431 so I can boot windows systems and clean the viruses and/or copy the data.

There is a problem in that some of the Linux kernels and Windows 98 as well will not allow the virus files to update unless you modify the ~/etc/rc.d/rc.local file.
This is the post on the avast forum explaining how to do it.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57775.0
Starting with the 400.vps, version 100328-1, one of it's internal block reached the inner limit 33554432 bytes. It's a kernel variable which
is (quite artificially) limiting the maximum size of any SHM memory block - and 33554432 was a default for some kernels.

Solution? Set the limit to higher values (as root):

sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
OR
echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Place those lines to /etc/init.d/rcS or equivalent file (it's distribution-specific a bit - see /etc/inittab, the sysinit runlevel) to have them set automatically (just after boot)

jemimah on the PuppyLinux irc channel suggested placing the command in the ~/etc/rc.d/rc.local file and it is working perfectly for me. I had it scan a Windows install and it found no viruses but it did correctly identify corrupted compressed files.

As far as the install I just unpacked the tarball to root and drug the AvastGui on to the desktop. If anyone figures a better way let me know. I have used Avast free edition for years on winders and no worries.

http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition#tab4

yorkiesnorkie

Re: Avast4 workstations

#52 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Frank Cox wrote:Avast for workstations does not protect the Linux system. it scans the places you tell it to.
That seems to be typical for using AV on a Linux desktop doesn't it. Linux is better protected and doesn't seem to require the same hand holding and monitoring you have to do for Windows. You do have to set up the firewall via the wizard. That kind of relieves the "under seige" mentality. Plus you can always run as the user SPOT when surfing. I've run both Fprot and ClamAV scans of Puppy and never found a virus on any of my Linux installations. Both Fprot and ClamAV picked up problems on the Windows side of things though when I checked various PCs of friends and family!

Y.
Last edited by yorkiesnorkie on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

yorkiesnorkie

#53 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

pemasu wrote:As I stated earlier, for Lucid Puppy 5.1 and 5.1.1 there is F-prot 6 pet in the official lucid repo. It probably needs updating repo packages file before you can see it in PPM.

But here is direct link and advice howto install and use fpscan: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 530#448530
Awesome! Thanks for posting that, it should solve gcmartin's issue.

Y.

otropogo

new post notification - can't find post

#54 Post by otropogo »

I received e-mail notification of a new post on Jan. 12, 2011, but it doesn't appear on my list of followed threads, now can I see it in the forum thread itself. What gives?

"Topic Reply Notification - Avast AV, AVG, Avira AV, Clam AV, F-Prot, Moon AV, Panda AV"
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Jasper

#55 Post by Jasper »

Hi.

I assume you meant "nor" rather than "now" and the reference may be to yours of 15th Sep on page 3.

My regards

otropogo

#56 Post by otropogo »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi.

I assume you meant "nor" rather than "now"
very astute
and the reference may be to yours of 15th Sep on page 3.

My regards
Not so astute, especially for someone who's posted almost 300 messages in less than a year.

1. the forum doesn't send e-mail announcements to inform you of your own posts (have you really not noticed this?)

2. the forum software doesn't even keep a list of new posts in your selected topics for more than a couple of days, so how could it be sending out a notice of a message posted four months previously?

Makoto

#57 Post by Makoto »

This is usually what happens when a post is removed from a topic people are 'watching,' for whatever reason (most of the time, it's a spam post).

I think I do remember seeing a spam post pop up in this topic, recently (I see a lot of them, so it's not easy to remember all the topics. :) )

Usually, the spammer/bot makes a post, and because you're subscribed to the topic, you get an email notice. But if and when the spam is removed, the moderators can't recall those email notices. :) (Nor does the forum software have any mechanism to notify users watching the post that the same post has been removed, as far as I know.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

otropogo

#58 Post by otropogo »

Makoto wrote:This is usually what happens when a post is removed from a topic people are 'watching,' for whatever reason (most of the time, it's a spam post).

Yes, I'd thought of that too. It's a shame though there isn't an explanatory marker left for a few days, instead of just getting a screen that says "the post cannot be found".

Makoto

#59 Post by Makoto »

On another forum I frequent, in the days when it used to be a phpBB board (they've since switched to VBulletin), whenever the mods removed/deleted a post, it would usually say something like, "This post has been deleted by [moderator name]." I'm not sure if that was done by a phpBB mod, or not, though.

I suppose something similar could possibly be done if there was a special subforum only the moderators could see, they moved spam there for consideration/etc. before deleting it, and the 'phantom topics/posts' (as you probably noticed when this subforum (well, the Additional Software section) was being reorganized) were created, just to let you know the post or topic's been moved.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).