SOLVED - How to use Epson 3490 Scanner in Puppy 525?

For drivers and kernel modules.
icosahedron

SOLVED - How to use Epson 3490 Scanner in Puppy 525?

#1 Post by icosahedron »

My Puppy 5.2.5 seems to work very well 'out of the box', but the one thing that doesn't seem to work for me is I can't get Puppy to recognise my Epson 3490 scanner. It's the only peripheral I have that my Puppy doesn't seem to have drivers for. How do I get it to work? Is there something that I need to tweak, or does it need a PET?

If I need to tweak something, I'm a raw beginner with Puppy and LInux - words of one syllable please. :)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by icosahedron on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

The SANE scanner package in Puppy should recognize your Epson 3490. Look in the folder /etc/sane.d for the file snapscan.conf. However, this model requires some additional firmware.

Install the attached PET. If that still doesn't work, there is a second workaround.
Attachments
snapscan_epson_3490_firmware-1.0.pet
(31.44 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

icosahedron

#3 Post by icosahedron »

Hi rcrsn51,
Thanks for the PET. I downloaded it but I was waiting until I'd tested it out before I gave you feedback on it. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity over the weekend. No offence intended, just short on time this week.

icosahedron

#4 Post by icosahedron »

You can safely return the attachment, the PET works a treat. :)

I'll have to learn how Xsane works, but the basics seem pretty universal and the important thing is it can now see my scanner and capture images from it.

Thanks again, rcrsn51, problem solved. :)

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. If you want a simpler scanning tool than Xsane, look at Peasyscan.

icosahedron

#6 Post by icosahedron »

Thanks for the Peasyscan info, but since Xsane's already installed, I'll probably poke about with that when I next need to scan something. It can't be that difficult.

BTW, looking at your Peasyscan post reminded me - I 'uncommented' Epson before I installed the Pet, so I don't know if it was running on Epson or Epson2. Doesn't matter to me, but it might be important to the next reader.

Now let's see if I can figure how to add the word 'solved' to the thread title...

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

icosahedron wrote:BTW, looking at your Peasyscan post reminded me - I 'uncommented' Epson before I installed the Pet, so I don't know if it was running on Epson or Epson2. Doesn't matter to me, but it might be important to the next reader..
Neither. You are running on the "snapscan" backend. It is the only one that can detect your scanner. As a test, comment out this line in dll.conf and try to access your scanner.

You can make Xsane start a little faster by commenting out all the lines EXCEPT for snapscan.

icosahedron

#8 Post by icosahedron »

Thanks for the info, but I'm not a dabbler. I'm an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' guy. The scanner was broke, but it ain't now, thanks to your PET. That's good enough for me. :)