Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 08 Apr 2020, 14:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Rox Panel Applets
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov 2009, 20:42    Post subject:  

Thanks for the offer amigo! How did you get access to ibibio anyway?

If you, or anyone, is looking for an interesting project to work on, I'm starting to get more traffic on the Puppeee thread than I can reasonably deal with by myself. I think a very solid puplet for netbooks based on Puppy could become high profile very fast since most other netbook offerings are bloated and slow - heavy on eye candy, light on functionality. I have about a thousand ideas for it, but it's slow going since it's only me. I do have a lot of excellent beta testers, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by the sheer scope of the project.
amigo

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2009, 06:03    Post subject:  

I've been working for quite a while now on putting together a system for netbooks and similar platforms. The idea began as a small system meant to be booted from an external device like USB stick, etc. One idea was to build it as a 'liveUSB' implementation -with the idea that it could be used to boot from any hardware you came across -with the help of a small CD for machines that don't boot natively from USB.
One of the main ideas was to eliminate some of the drawbacks of liveCD like the need for lots of RAM and the longer startup times from using large initrds. Instead, it would focus on fast boot-time, accept a small penalty of slower *program* startup, but with the advnatge of being read-write without any tricks like save files, union mounts, etc. And instead of using squashfs or other highly-compressed, but read-only file system, it might use e2compr filesystem or other newer fs like UBIFS.
Progress has been very slow as I have been sidelined with development of src2pkg which makes it possible to maintain the distro for several arches without a lot of trouble or help.

Building a distro involves an incredible amount of work -as you have seen even modifying an existing distro is a lot of work. But, I still belive that the only way to create and maintain any special-purpose system like a liveCD or netbook distro is to build everything from scratch -but having *very* clear goals and concepts to guide you. Most small distros suffer from a lack of maintenance -instead of fixing bugs and perfecting the implementation of core concpets/goals, they move onto another 'cool idea' leaving their former users and their own ideas in the dust. Does this sound familiar?

About ibiblio, it's pretty easy to get space there -you only need to own a non-profit *.org domain and they'll give you space for free. They've never even hinted at limiting my space. There have been a couple of times when nearly everything was lost due to hardware failures, but I always have backups anyway.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov 2009, 23:17    Post subject:  

I've uploaded the source code for my various projects. Amigo, feel free to mirror if you like.

http://drop.io/jemimah/
amigo

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2009, 03:30    Post subject:  

Excellent, many thanks.
morgonzola

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep 2010, 18:12    Post subject:  

sorry to revive an old thread but do you think you could post that scrip to get xkeybinds to start up automatically jemimah?
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2010, 13:14    Post subject:  

You should just be able to make a symlink to xbindkeys in /root/Startup.
pri

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 11:53    Post subject:  

can you share source for applet and etc for rox desktop and panel. i am working on single board stb zte b860h android tv. turn it to linux using armbian
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: