SCIM not working with Java apps

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Irihapeti

SCIM not working with Java apps

#1 Post by Irihapeti »

I would like to get Scim working with Java applications in Puppy. It is possible in other distros, so I think it should be possible in Puppy as well.

After months of saying that Scim won't respond at all to Java, I've found that this is only half the story.

I can now get the Scim panel to pop up when I press cntrl-space, under the following circumstances:

* This text needs to be added to the .xinitrc file

Code: Select all

export XIM=SCIM
export XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim
export XIM_ARGS="-d -c socket -f X11 -e socket"
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export XMODIFIER=@im=SCIM
Actually, the third line doesn't seem to make much difference, and I'm not sure that both of the last two lines are needed. I copied it from another wiki.

* The locale must not be a utf-8 locale
* The locale must not previously have been set to a utf-8 locale

It is fine to add stuff like

Code: Select all

export LC_ALL="en_NZ.UTF-8"
export LC_CTYPE="en_NZ.UTF-8"
export LC_MESSAGES="en_NZ.UTF-8"
export LOCALE="en_NZ.UTF-8"
export LANG="en_NZ.UTF-8"
export LANGUAGE="en_NZ.UTF-8"
to the .xinitrc file.

I've tested this in Puppy 2.17 (my main compiling version) and the latest 4.30 with the new kernel. I'm assuming that all the intervening versions will behave in the same way.

So far, so good. BUT, and this is the big BUT, none of the IM engines are available to Java apps. That is, no pinyin, hangul, chewing, anthy, canna and all the other engines which are the reason one uses Scim in the first place.

I installed uim (see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 646#346646) and the same thing applies - no engines available to uim.

So, I appeal to those of you with greater expertise and more detailed knowledge of Puppy's underlying structure. Is there a library that needs to be added, an existing one that needs to be compiled with other options, or an environment variable that needs to be set? Or something I haven't thought of?

Thanks in anticipation
Irihapeti

Irihapeti

Solved, I think

#2 Post by Irihapeti »