Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
SFS4 for Puppy Linux 4.30 - OpenOffice 3.1.1 and Anjuta IDE
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4752
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct 2009, 20:11    Post subject:  SFS4 for Puppy Linux 4.30 - OpenOffice 3.1.1 and Anjuta IDE
Subject description: sfs packages add-ons for Puppy Linux 4.30
 

Barry has built and posted SFS4 packages/add-ons for Puppy Linux 4.30:

News item

Blog item

Feedback and comments welcome.

_________________
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? Get the sfs (English only).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 7212

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct 2009, 21:52    Post subject:  

OpenOffice 3.1.1 sfs 176 MB

hardly a great space saving for all the hassle.
I assume users of puppy 4.21 and earlier will get dumped just like puppy 2 users were?

mike

edit...oops forgot to mention puppy 3....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 21:01    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
OpenOffice 3.1.1 sfs 176 MB

hardly a great space saving for all the hassle.
I assume users of puppy 4.21 and earlier will get dumped just like puppy 2 users were?

mike

edit...oops forgot to mention puppy 3....


My goodness, what a sour post!

Just because I posted some SFS files, and they happen to be for Squashfs 4.0, and one of them specifically for 430.

Anyone is welcome to create SFS files, version 3 or 4. Anyone is welcome to repackage those two that I uploaded for Squashfs v3.

I may do so myself and upload them to ibiblio, just haven't got around to it yet. Uploading those SFS files was just something that I did quickly, as I'm very busy working on Woof and bugfixes for 431.

Regarding the Anjuta SFS, you have to read Wosh's thread. 430 has all the right library versions required for Anjuta, older puppies don't.

"hardly a great space saving for all the hassle."
-- I haven't got a clue what that comment is supposed to mean.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 7212

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 21:13    Post subject:  

Well my frustrstion is at the lack of backwards compatability of squashfs4 .... something that previous versions managed and I felt that this inconvenience (eg having to cater for both versions when previously simply using an older version would do) was not outweighed by the space saving.
Yes a sour post indeed...perhaps I should be ranting on the squashfs mailing list rather than here as puppy development is affected by the state of linux and its software rather than the other way around.
No personal attack intended...

regards

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10730
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 21:52    Post subject:  

I agree with Barry and mike, Barrys view is pure puppy motto, smaller is better, and mike I feel your pain, newer sfs 4 is a pain for older puppies, I usually include a unsquash4series and unsquash5series bin in 2.14X located in root, where users can simply drop a series 4,5 sfs on top and it will extract in a folder in root. then simply make a new squash or pet file and all is good again Smile
But really the developers of squashfs need to keep some sort of legacy capabilities. I think they need some emails from our disappointed users.
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 7212

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 22:36    Post subject:  

I described puppy as 'fun' yesterday but there is a lot of goalpost moving going on which for me and perhaps others is taking some of the joy out of the proceedings...an I mean that in a general sense.
I guess it's my turn to be volatile rather than constructive....a long standing habit of questioning everything.

I noticed open office has more than doubled in size from version 1...which having tried it (1) I found it functions pretty well..what's filling out the newer versions?

Well from that feeble attempt to be on topic ..

regards

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
brin

Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct 2009, 14:35    Post subject: installing OpenOffice 3.1.1. - nothing happens!?
Subject description: Not yet absolute newie can't gett OO to work
 

Dear Sirs!

after a few months break dealing with puppy I started over a few days ago, and was VERY pleased, that with puppy 4.30 now I have also an UpToDate opera browser as well as the latest OpenOffice (I already got my journalist wife to O.O. @ windows, now there's a chance to get her to linux!!! Smile

O.K., after solving several probs with installing/booting 4.30 I have it running @ 2 different machines, LAN, sound, an Opera 10 working - hurrah! Smile

But now I'd need some help, cause O.O.3.1.1 don't do nothing:

'downed it from: puppylinux.org/news/releases/openoffice-and-cide-sfs-for-puppy-430/ and as written there " place in your /mnt/home directory", I did. pupsave file already written an present.
Booted a several times in between, but not a pups.

Had searched in the forum but it seems, nobody has a prob with it.

could you pleas advise me?

THX in advance

brin

(please be patient, I'm no english native)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 7212

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct 2009, 15:25    Post subject:  

Hmm I'm wondering ...does the name need _430 adding like previous sfs files to match the puppy version? the download is not using that naming convention

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4752
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct 2009, 16:50    Post subject: md5sum  

The first check should be with the download. There is hash utility in Puppy 4.30, and these are the md5sums of the two sfs4 files:

49b55f484cc6b77215e9d865ea334ebd anjuta-2.4.2-pup430-sfs4.sfs
fc31434295bb6992a335517a2ec9899d openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs

A different value means a corrupted file.

_________________
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? Get the sfs (English only).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flynn

Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct 2009, 17:22    Post subject:  

I had to reboot Puppy with pfix=clean before the BootManager would allow me to move this SFS over onto the list that are loading when Puppy loads.

Once you've put the SFS file in /mnt/home/ and rebooted, have you checked the BootManager to see if you can move it over and then reboot one last time?

Hope This Helps,
Flynn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
plougher

Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009, 00:37    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Well my frustrstion is at the lack of backwards compatability of squashfs4 .... perhaps I should be ranting on the squashfs mailing list


Feel free to rant on squashfs-devel that's what it's there for. In fact I'm surprised at how few posts I've received regarding Squashfs4.0.

The new Squashfs 4.0 layout and the lack of backwards compatibility is the price paid for mainlining in 2.6.29. The new 4.0 layout dropped the remaining issues that prevented my first submission attempt in 2005 (little and big endian format support and bit-field packed structures). Lack of backwards compatibility was also a requirement for mainlining (for obvious reasons - legacy 1.x/2.x/3.x layout code suffers from the issues that prevented mainlining).

I know the transition from Squashfs 3.x to 4.0 will be difficult for these reasons. Previously I deliberately provided backwards compatibility when releasing new layouts to ease the transition period. This current situation is uniquely due to mainlining and it shouldn't happen again in the future. Mainlining was a necessary step for Squashfs credibility in the Linux kernel community and it is something that was frequently and increasingly requested by Linux distributions.

Phillip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10730
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009, 07:06    Post subject:  

plougher wrote:
mikeb wrote:
Well my frustrstion is at the lack of backwards compatability of squashfs4 .... perhaps I should be ranting on the squashfs mailing list


Feel free to rant on squashfs-devel that's what it's there for. In fact I'm surprised at how few posts I've received regarding Squashfs4.0.

The new Squashfs 4.0 layout and the lack of backwards compatibility is the price paid for mainlining in 2.6.29. The new 4.0 layout dropped the remaining issues that prevented my first submission attempt in 2005 (little and big endian format support and bit-field packed structures). Lack of backwards compatibility was also a requirement for mainlining (for obvious reasons - legacy 1.x/2.x/3.x layout code suffers from the issues that prevented mainlining).

I know the transition from Squashfs 3.x to 4.0 will be difficult for these reasons. Previously I deliberately provided backwards compatibility when releasing new layouts to ease the transition period. This current situation is uniquely due to mainlining and it shouldn't happen again in the future. Mainlining was a necessary step for Squashfs credibility in the Linux kernel community and it is something that was frequently and increasingly requested by Linux distributions.

Phillip


There's also one other little issue that I found a bit annoying, If you have a prepatched kernel and a newer sfs release comes out, you can't patch over the top, Barry has nicely posted his kernels already patched with squashfs, and basically all you have to do is type make and it builds, because its preconfigured. But the kernel I wanted to use had squashfs3.0 and I wanted to patch it for the latest 3.1, when I tried, I received an error, that it was already patched, the difference is huge, Puppy early 2 series had squashfs 3.0 but later 2,3,3 series had squashfs 3.1. So every sfs file I have to convert, new users find this a pain.
Would be nice if you could repatch a kernel sources with a updated version.
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 7212

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009, 09:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
Mainlining was a necessary step for Squashfs credibility in the Linux kernel community and it is something that was frequently and increasingly requested by Linux distributions.

Thankyou for the explanation Phillip.....It would appear that this was just as awkward for you as it is for the end user...I'm sure dealing with linux kernel politics is definately not 'fun'.

Well since the echos of my rant seems to have reached out further than expected I might as well take the opportunity to say that the level of emotional response is proportional to the importance of the subject matter. This distro simply could not exist without squashfs and perhaps I should be ranting about why was squashfs not included in the kernel earlier Very Happy

Off to eat my crusty humble pie.....

regards

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
brin

Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009, 09:47    Post subject: OpenOffice 3.1.1 - as it it wasn't there...  

Dear Sirs,
THX 4 ur comments:

mikeb wrote:
Hmm I'm wondering ...does the name need _430 adding like previous sfs files to match the puppy version? the download is not using that naming convention
mike

@mikeb:
Tried to rename it (according to ANY possible convention) to*_430.sfs, then to *-430.sfs and at last to *-pup430-sfs4.sfs (as the other file in the DL directory) as well as *-pup430.sfs - no success.

raffy wrote:
The first check should be with the download. There is hash utility in Puppy 4.30, and these are the md5sums of the two sfs4 files:
49b55f484cc6b77215e9d865ea334ebd anjuta-2.4.2-pup430-sfs4.sfs
fc31434295bb6992a335517a2ec9899d openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs
A different value means a corrupted file.

@raffy
THX for this, hash IS O.K.
BUT:
What is that anjuta thingie? Do I need it depening on the installation of O.O?
Or -in short- what is it good for else?

Flynn wrote:
I had to reboot Puppy with pfix=clean before the BootManager would allow me to move this SFS over onto the list that are loading when Puppy loads.
Once you've put the SFS file in /mnt/home/ and rebooted, have you checked the BootManager to see if you can move it over and then reboot one last time?
Hope This Helps, Flynn

@Flynn
Not yet Smile
I put it into /mnt/home directory, booted several times, nothing.
Tried to install it via puppy bootmanager, it cant't see any sfs files (says, "you must something put there, so I can see it Wink).
But I'll give the pfix option a try - could you please explain, what it really does?

Thank you all for Your replies and plz hang on!

brin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flynn

Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009, 15:22    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice 3.1.1 - as it it wasn't there...  

brin wrote:

Flynn wrote:
I had to reboot Puppy with pfix=clean before the BootManager would allow me to move this SFS over onto the list that are loading when Puppy loads.
Once you've put the SFS file in /mnt/home/ and rebooted, have you checked the BootManager to see if you can move it over and then reboot one last time?
Hope This Helps, Flynn

@Flynn
Not yet Smile
I put it into /mnt/home directory, booted several times, nothing.
Tried to install it via puppy bootmanager, it cant't see any sfs files (says, "you must something put there, so I can see it Wink).
But I'll give the pfix option a try - could you please explain, what it really does?


To be honest, I'm not sure what exactly "pfix=clean" does, except for the system to act as if it were upgrading and resets some of the configuration stuff. When I do it, my bootmanager allowed me to see the dialog window that allows me to add the SFS file at bootup.

I'm still pretty new at this.

Wish I could be of better assistance,
Flynn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0963s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0049s) ][ GZIP on ]