XOpup Interest Group. Puppy Linux for the OLPC XO-1 laptop

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

Re: kernel

#106 Post by mavrothal »

ttuuxxx wrote: I recompiled the linux_kernel-2.6.18.8 from puppy 2.20 and well It didn't boot I would say because of initrd, do you have the olpc initrd from kernel-2.6.25-20090822.1.olpc.c7d5d12b96a0999.src.rpm which is found at http://dev.laptop.org/~dilinger/testing/
So I can compare the two of them. also I'm going to compile kernel-2.6.25-20090822.1.olpc.c7d5d12b96a0999.src.rpm and see how that goes
ttuuxxx
No I do not. I do have the 20090223.1 which is the last official kernel found in os802 (the one that came with your XO's I believe). However if you download the kernels (not the src) and rpm -i them in your XO should also install the initrd (the newer ones do at least).
Also keep in mind that these initrds do not boot from external usb/sd without a small modification.
Anyway... the 20090223.1-modified "It's in the mail" (hopefully you have space in your in box)

mavrothal

#107 Post by mavrothal »

ttuuxxx
I do not know what is your work flow/plan but if you want to build a puppy in the iso form (initrd/vmlinuz/pup.sfs) it may be _way more_ tricky and will _not_ boot any locked XO (eg the ones without developer's key).
To boot a locked XO you need in addition to the vmlinuz/initrd from a signed official image the cryptographed /boot/os.zip and /boot/rd.zip files as well as the /security that come from the official build.
So ideally theses files eg the entire "official" /boot folder should be preserved and additional modules should be loaded after, by rc.local. The trick here (I guess) is when you rebuild your kernel from the same_version_olpc_src to give it the same extraversion so is named like the original and then (hopefully) the modules can be inserted in the "official" running kernel. Of course such a scheme allows only for the "full install".

Any way, as I said let's get something that will run on an unlocked machine and then take it from there. Besides running on locked machines might not be such a good idea for the start, before a mature/secure build is ready.

mavrothal

Mouse OK!

#108 Post by mavrothal »

OK! Still using playdayz uPup with the OLPC 2.6.31 kernel and the mouse is working. It was "easy". Just set the 'Option "Device" "dev/mouse0" ' instead of the default "dev/mouse". Also adjusted the Xft.dpi to 117 (50% increase) in .Xresources so the default letters are viewable in the 7.5" 1200x900(!) XO-1 screen.

As you can see though now the network is missing although libertas is there! I guess puppy is totally unaware of the XO. :(

ttuuxxx you have your job cut out for you :twisted:

BTW can anybody tell me how you can make puppy that runs in full install and does _not_ uses GRUB to load, to run from the RAM? Please!

eowens2

#109 Post by eowens2 »

Ttuuxxx and Mavrothal - I am delighted to see all of the progress that you guys have made booting Puppy on the XO.

Mavrothal: what did you have to do to get xorg to make you a window? I have been working off-and-on at booting puppy too, and have been stuck at this point for several days.

I have tried to fuse the XO's 8.2.0 kernel (2.6.25.15 with squashfs added, and using unionfs, not AUFS) with Puppy 4.12 components on an ext3 USB stick to construct a hybrid. I moved the XO's xorg-dcon.conf to the hybrid's /etc/X11/, and symlinked xorg.conf to xorg-dcon.conf. I also moved over to the hybrid the XO's xorg drivers: evdev_drv.so, amd_drv.so and mouse_drv.so.

This hybrid makes it thru switch_root but hits a wall at trying to get x-windows up and running and I am dropped to a shell. All of the contents of pup_412.sfs are visible and it is easy to move around in them using the shell.

At this point the /var/Xorg.0.log reveals: "failed to load amd_(evdev,mouse)drv.so" because of "undefined symbols" (The XO's 8.2 uses xorg version 1.4.99.906 whereas Puppy 4.12 uses xorg version 1.3.0). I even tried to move the XO'x xorg into the hybrid...the "undefined symbols" disappear, but incompatable C library problems appear. (Puppy's xorg v 1.3.0 seem pretty tightly bound to libc.so.6=>libc-2.6.1 whereas XO's xorg v1.4.99.906 and its libraries seem to need libc.so.6=>libc-2.8.so...I thought these libraries were supposed to be backward compatible!).

Any ideas on how to proceed? Maybe re-compiling xorg and the drivers with this kernel would do it? I have been working on that, but so far without success.

Ttuuxxx, I cast my vote for a spreadsheet capability too. But if it can be added by a "plug-in", that's fine. There is, I admit, a certain appeal in keeping the base package < 100MB!

In any event I am happy to see all of the activity and interest in this thread.

ttuuxxx

#110 Post by ttuuxxx »

I bought a usb Lan card, that looks like the image below, its has a identical blue clear case, but the chipset inside looks different, Anyways I bought it locally for like $20 but on ebay you can purchase them delivered for less than $5, do a search on ebay with the term usb lan and you'll get links like http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-Ethernet-10- ... 2a021416ab

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-to-RJ45-Card ... 414983042a

anyways I plugged it into the XO with original OS with sugar, etc and booted up, when It came to the desktop I clicked the internet and boom it was working, I didn't have to configure anything, so finally I sent away for my keys to unlock the laptops :) I did it on each :)
Soon guys I'll have something, Man I'm not used to this security stuff, etc :)

Ps I tried it on puppy on my main pc and it didn't work, so I'll have to try to figure something out.

So it works excellent on xo but not yet on puppy.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
81.jpg
(5.97 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mavrothal

#111 Post by mavrothal »

ttuuxxx wrote: anyways I plugged it into the XO with original OS with sugar, etc and booted up, when It came to the desktop I clicked the internet and boom it was working, I didn't have to configure anything,
Ps I tried it on puppy on my main pc and it didn't work, so I'll have to try to figure something out.

So it works excellent on xo but not yet on puppy.
Sugar-puppy 1-0 :lol: :lol: :lol:
ttuuxxx wrote:so finally I sent away for my keys to unlock the laptops :) I did it on each :)
For the next one :wink: keep in mind that you do _not_ need an internet connected XO to unlock it. You can download the key in another computer and pass it on
ttuuxxx wrote:Man I'm not used to this security stuff, etc :)
Well,... if you think that the XO is given to elementary school kids with parents that may not even know how to read and write and in countries that the safety/security might not be stellar, you may want to consider it :roll:

mavrothal

#112 Post by mavrothal »

eowens2 wrote: Mavrothal: what did you have to do to get xorg to make you a window? I have been working off-and-on at booting puppy too, and have been stuck at this point for several days.
Actually, nothing! (see the post with the picture on page 6)
But I think is due on how the xserver is compiled and configured. Even when I use technosaurus' (sorry ttuuxxx :D ) geode video drivers for puppy 4.3.1 it did not work
eowens2 wrote:I have tried to fuse the XO's 8.2.0 kernel (2.6.25.15 with squashfs added, and using unionfs, not AUFS) with Puppy 4.12 components on an ext3 USB stick to construct a hybrid.
This hybrid makes it thru switch_root but hits a wall at trying to get x-windows up and running and I am dropped to a shell. All of the contents of pup_412.sfs are visible and it is easy to move around in them using the shell.
That's nice! Does the stick boots by itself (assuming you corrected the 8.2.0 initutil.py)?
Are you using the sfs file as is or its contents copied to the stick?

mavrothal

#113 Post by mavrothal »

Let me ask again:
mavrothal wrote:BTW can anybody tell me how you can make puppy that runs in full install and does _not_ uses GRUB to load, to run from the RAM? Please!
C'mon ttuuxxx (and other puppy gurus), don't be so "tight-liped" :(

ttuuxxx

#114 Post by ttuuxxx »

mavrothal wrote:Let me ask again:
mavrothal wrote:BTW can anybody tell me how you can make puppy that runs in full install and does _not_ uses GRUB to load, to run from the RAM? Please!
C'mon ttuuxxx (and other puppy gurus), don't be so "tight-liped" :(
wakepup2 can do that http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979
ttuuxxx

mavrothal

#115 Post by mavrothal »

I give up :(
I did managed to get the wireless going on playdayz uPup 451 running as full install from an SD card under the OLPC 2.6.31 kernel and initrd. I tried network-wizard, terminal, manual configuration, no luck. I did manage to get puppy to use liberats for the wireless but then it kept connecting with a IV4ALL warning as pppop and the wrong IP. :x

Anyway, besides that puppy on the XO-1 is a huge disappointment (got you attention didn't I? :) ). Not because is not running or apps are missing or anything else but because is as slow as any other distro running on the XO-1. Actually faster than Sugar or Gentoo on par with DebXO and probably slower than Ubuntu 8.10.
Parenthesis: Given that puppy does not have a spinning mouse when apps are loading, in the beginning I thought that it does not work at all and then I was ending up with 5 copies of the application from re-clicking the icon... :D

I guess the major problem is that in full install and without GRUB, puppy is not running from the ram ( and ttuuxxx, there was nothing in that thread that I could figure out) so all the speed benefits of that are gone and you are stuck with the slow seek times and reads of the SD card. Obviously using a generic uPup not optimized at all for the XO did not help either...
I can now better appreciate ttuuxxx' persistence of getting as small an XOpup as possible running as frugal. That's where the speed comes from

So as a proof of principle the exercise was good. Woof-build pups will run on the XO provided an OLPC kernel and initrd is used. As an actual XOpup,... not even close...

I guess the real challenge, that hopefully ttuuxxx will tackle soon, is to build an initrd that will satisfy both XO's and puppy's needs and allow puppy to run from the RAM and show its true power.

hailpuppy

#116 Post by hailpuppy »

Come on!!! Mavrothal....dont give up on us yet.. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

There has to be something that we can do....Please please please..OK what help do you want on this? Cant Barry do something about this..Or is this just a joke and is the surprise of our working xopup yet to come??? :wink:

Please ttuuxxx dont give up up yet..Remember Barrys idea of the mascot Puppy..Small but brave!!!

ttuuxxx

#117 Post by ttuuxxx »

guys guys guys, I'll get it going soon, next week is my last week working then I have 3 months off, lol I'll look for another job durring the 3 months :)
So I'll have ample time to devote to this project very soon. Until then I'll just putter around.

ttuuxxx

mavrothal

#118 Post by mavrothal »

hailpuppy wrote:Come on!!! Mavrothal....dont give up on us yet..
I'm giving up on going down that specific road.

What I wanted to know is if OFW or the XO hardware has anything that would block puppy from running on it. Obviously it does not.
I also wanted to know if any generic puppy (with minor modifications) will run on the XO. Not any that I could find.
Incidentally I realized that in full install puppy loses all its obvious speed advantages on the XO and becomes comparable to any other distro. Thus I give up on this road.

So this little exercise suggested that an XOpup can be build but it must be XO specific (build for the exact hardware) to have any impact.
Here is where ttuuxxx, BK and other puppy developers must take an active initiative.

ttuuxxx already gave us some time frame and hopefully (for the children of the world :wink: and unfortunately for him :shock: ) is going to deliver. However, remember that is a free software eg is developed on spare time....

....Yes, I could try to learn and do what these people do, but will take me a couple of years to get going... :D

raffy

GTK and Geode

#119 Post by raffy »

Hi guys,

Keep in mind that only earlier GTK will run speedily in a Geode version earlier than LX800 (XO-1 uses LX 700, right?).

So if the kernel issue can be solved, ttuuxxx can then try getting 214X or even earlier Puppy version - pakt has packaged iPup based on Puppy 2.02 regression, and this should give some speed to the XO.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

hailpuppy

#120 Post by hailpuppy »

Bravo Raffy!!!! :D :D :D Thanks for joining in... Hm Im just wondering what Barry could be thinking of this thread...this effort is cumbersome ,as it seems, but the prize is worthy for your great effort!!!

ttuuxxx

#121 Post by ttuuxxx »

I am building it on puppy 2.18 or what i call 2.20(2.18 updated woof version) and also will try to port it 2.14X later on maybe.
ttuuxxx

mavrothal

#122 Post by mavrothal »

Just in case is of any use to anyone ( :P ) WiFi access is OK now but only with open access points. Encrypted APs still fail.
The next problem is that there is no sound and the alsawizard just launches and quits with a bunch of errors.
Finally, hardware scan identifies components but does not know what they are or what module to use.
I think that HAL may be at the root of all these issues. But then again...

eowens2

#123 Post by eowens2 »

Mavrothal asked about my use of the initrd and pup_412.sfs files.

I am trying to do an all-in-memory construct (is this what is called a "frugal" install?), so as to get some speed.

In initrd there is almost no XO present except for the modules compiled with the new kernel. "init" in initrd is from puppy with a few lines tweaked.

pup_412.sfs is unsquashed with squashfs-tools, XO's newly compiled kernel and modules are inserted, and the .sfs file is re-squashed and on boot copied to tmpfs in ram. I have unsquashed => tinkered => resquashed => rebooted about a gazillion times now trying to get the darn thing to make a window for me! Tinkering has consisted of such things as using XO's xorg-dcon.conf in lieu of puppy's xorg.conf, and moving the XO's amd and endev drivers over to the puppy.

But so far no luck in getting a window.

I downloaded the uPup-451 and booted it from CD on my desktop. It must not have liked my n Vidia C 51 GeForce 6150 LE, because even after several tries it would not run X-windows. It did however like Xversa, and had no problems with my wireless.

For the heck of it I tried the pup_451.sfs with the XO_pup/kernel_initrd, and it said "panic" at switch_root.

A question for some of you old hands out there: what mode of video support is in effect while xorgwizard is soliciting one's choices for xorg, xversa, resolution, etc?

mavrothal

#124 Post by mavrothal »

That's very interesting eowens2
eowens2 wrote: In initrd there is almost no XO present except for the modules compiled with the new kernel. "init" in initrd is from puppy with a few lines tweaked.
Could you upload your init script here to take a look? Better yet a diff file
eowens2 wrote:pup_412.sfs is unsquashed with squashfs-tools, XO's newly compiled kernel and modules are inserted, and the .sfs file is re-squashed and on boot copied to tmpfs in ram.
Did you "remaster CD" or manually squashed the whole thing?
eowens2 wrote:I have unsquashed => tinkered => resquashed => rebooted about a gazillion times now trying to get the darn thing to make a window for me!
but do you get the Xserver going on the full install or is a problem there still?
eowens2 wrote:Tinkering has consisted of such things as using XO's xorg-dcon.conf in lieu of puppy's xorg.conf, and moving the XO's amd and endev drivers over to the puppy.
I do not think this is going to work. Did you try any of the geode driver pets from here instead of the OLPC ones. 2.10.1 if I remember correctly was working fine on the XO (the fedora version)
eowens2 wrote:A question for some of you old hands out there: what mode of video support is in effect while xorgwizard is soliciting one's choices for xorg, xversa, resolution, etc?
I'm not an old hand but I believe is using the frame buffer.

hailpuppy

#125 Post by hailpuppy »

HI Guys,
Isn,t Sugar based on Fedora? If it is based on Fedora why dont we try using a Fedora based puppy to tackle xo laptop now that we have woof .?