wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy

spongedaddy

#121 Post by spongedaddy »

Yep -- I got the following:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 20f4:624d

rcrsn51

#122 Post by rcrsn51 »

spongedaddy wrote:ID 20f4:624d
So you have version D1 of the TRENDnet TEW624UB and it uses the kernel module rtl8192cu.

1. Go to the folder /lib/firmware/rtlwifi

2. Delete the file rtl8192cufw.bin (if it is present)

3. Leave this window open.

4. Go to the folder /lib/modules/all-firmware/rtlwifi/lib/firmware/rtlwifi

5. Drag the file rtl8192cufw.bin into the first window

6. Close the windows.

7. Unplug/replug the adapter.

spongedaddy

#123 Post by spongedaddy »

I've got a couple of different rtl files. None that are named rtl8192cufw.bin but a couple named rtl8192cufw_A.bin and rtl8192cufw_B.bin.

I'm tempted to drag both of them to the /lib/firmware/rtlwifi directory. A good idea or no?

rcrsn51

#124 Post by rcrsn51 »

Move them all. What Slacko version are you using: 5.7-non-PAE or 5.7.0-PAE? The first one was known to be wonky.

spongedaddy

#125 Post by spongedaddy »

Ugh.

I have 5.7-NO-pae. Will move them all but don't mind grabbing the PAE version.

spongedaddy

#126 Post by spongedaddy »

I gave it another try. With both windows open, it appears that when I delete the rtl8192cufw.bin file from one, it deletes them from both. Also, when I tried moving rtl8192cufw_A.bin and rtl8192cufw_B.bin, I see that they reside in both directories. Moving or copying them gives me an error ("Can't move a file to itself" more or less). And like before, deleting them from one deletes them from both.

At this point, I think I'll just get a Slacko-approved USB adapter unless the PAE version of 5.7 is the way to go.

rcrsn51

#127 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you switch to Slacko 57 PAE, you can try the vendor version of rtl8192cu from here. It does not have firmware problems.

Mike Walsh

#128 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening,all.

Have recently started using obprecise 14.07.26 Chromebook Pup. Brilliant distro; works extremely well on my desktop PC, connecting via Ethernet.

I'd love to install this on my old Dell laptop. I've tried the LiveCD on the Dell (an elderly Inspiron 1100 ), and it works perfectly. I'm already running Tahrpup 6.02 on the 1100, and it's just amazing. I connect via a TP-Link WN725-N wireless adapter (v.2) using the Realtek RTL8188EUS chipset, and the r8188eu driver for this is included in Tahrpup by default.

rcrsn51 has already let me have a Slacko 5.70 version of this driver (many thanks for that). Is it possible that there's a version of this driver floating around that would work in Chromebook Pup? Failing that, would it be possible to add this driver module to the OS by some other means?

It uses the 3.9.11 PAE kernel.

Regards,

Mike. :)

spongedaddy

#129 Post by spongedaddy »

OK, so I switched to 5.7 PAE. It does see my network and connected successfully .... but only once.

Now, even though all other systems in the house can access it correctly, when I try to connect, I get "No Internet connection available".

Any hints or suggestions? Or should I try a better adapter?

Mike Walsh

#130 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

NetGear 'RangeMax' WPN-511 wireless 'card'.
Works in: Tahrpup 6.05, Slacko 5.7.0, Lucid 5.2.8.7, Precise 5.7.1 & X-Slacko 2.3.2.
PCMCIA card
Chipset: Atheros AR5005GS (Source - Wiki_Devi https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WPN511_v1 )
Driver: 'ath5k', built-in to most current-gen Pups.
Supports: 802.11 b/g (both work)
Security: WPA2
Configured with both SNS/'Dougal's'

Excellent value for just £5.99 off eBay. Despite being old-fashioned, there appears to be no end of these, brand-new, still floating around the web. Good range; works very well with our BT router's triple-MIMO array, and still reports a strong signal down the very bottom of our back garden, where my TP-Link 'nano' adapter is just starting to drop off. Connects easily via SNS or 'Dougal's' Network Wizard. Thoroughly recommended if you have an available PCMCIA slot. The 'ath5k' driver has seemingly been around since, like.....forever!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 22:20, edited 8 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#131 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, again. Thought I'd best list my other adapter.....both of which are used on a 2003-vintage Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop; 2.6 GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB Transcend IDE/PATA SSD.

TP-Link WN725N (v.2)
Works in: Tahrpup 6.03, ETP's 'Chromebook' Pup, Slacko 5.7.0 PAE, and X-Slacko 2.3.2.
USB 'nano' adapter
Chipset: Realtek R8188EUS
Driver: 'r8188eu' (native in Tahrpup; courtesy of cimarron, with some instruction from tempestuous, in 'Chromebook'; and courtesy of Bill (rcrsn51) in 'Slacko' 5.7.0, X-Slacko 2.3.2 & Slacko64 630). Many thanks to all concerned.
Supports: 802.11 b/g/n (all work).
Configured with: SNS, & 'Dougal's'

Excellent USB 'nano' adapter. Good value for money: average £9.99 in the UK. Good range; doesn't suffer from dropouts. Superb build quality. Thoroughly recommended.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

Gigafast WF729-AEX 2004 ndiswrapper works

#132 Post by sindi »

http://keesan.freeshell.org/puppy/gigaf ... p-ndis.zip

I packaged and uploaded a zip file of
mrv8335.inf 21K
MRV8335XP.sys 265K

extracted from about 4MB of exe file from driverguide which I could find no
way to unpackage and had to install in MicroXP (where it does not work because
of no wifi support) and it required an internet connection to install which meant
I had to get an ethernet card working in XP first.

In MicroXP it said to disable the Windows wireless zero utility to use
its own configuration utility, which then insisted the card was unplugged.

The card works well with ndiswrapper in lupu 5.2.5. From 2005, pre WPA2.

Made by Marvell Libertas. 54MBps.

Gigafast Wireless 802.11B/G
Cardbus Adapter
WF729-AEX
Made in China

Gigafast of course no longer has the driver.
Only Driverguide. Links at other places are broken.

Puppy Search found nothing for wireless or wifi.

Insomniacno1

#134 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Netgear WG111V2 USB has worked with all puppies that I could get my hands on since verion 4.1 including LXpup and Ubuntu and android.

It works with WPA2 and up to 54Mbps OOTB

So you can update the description:)

JBJ

Mike Walsh

#135 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

NetGear WNA-3100M mini-adapter
Works in: Tahrpup 6.05, Tahr64 6.05, Lucid 5.2.8.7, X-Slacko 2.3.2 & Slacko64 6.3.0.....in fact, it just seems to work in everything!
USB mini-dongle
Chipset: RealTek RTL8192CU (Source - Wiki_Devi https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNA3100M )
Driver: 'rtl8192cu', built-in to most current-gen Pups. This is, however, 'broken' in some. There are some updated drivers available from here. As Bill says, it appears that the in-kernel driver is apparently well-known for being a bit 'wonky'..!
Supports: 802.11 b/g/n (all work)
Configured with both SNS/'Dougal's'

Superb value wireless adapter from NetGear as usual. To be frank, I've yet to find an adapter of theirs that doesn't just 'work'. Excellent range, and reports an extremely strong signal (the full 70db in pWidget's wireless signal widget). Connects easily via SNS.....fast becoming my favourite for ease of use. Thoroughly recommended.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 30 Mar 2017, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

my laptop will not work outside

#136 Post by Pelo »

You will not get wireless working with your WiFi antennas unless rcrsn51 has compiled the driver. Most of new kernels will let your laptop without web if you don't stay indoor. That is a pity ! I gave my tablet because i don't like to type on screen. I was not thinking at all that my laptop will not work outside
For most kernels, wlan1 is deficient because drivers included in Puppy ISO are without effect.

Mike Walsh

#137 Post by Mike Walsh »

To some extent I agree with you, Pelo. In other respects I can't.....not entirely.

I use two different wireless adapters on occasion. A TP-Link WN-725N 'nano' USB, which uses the r8188eu driver; and a NetGear WNA-3100M 'mini' USB......which uses the often 'wonky' rtl8192cu in-kernel driver.

For the TP-Link, I use several of rcrsn51's compiled drivers, because the driver for this chipset didn't appear before the 3.14 kernel; indeed, Tahrpup was the very first to have it included by default.

The NetGear, however, despite the fact that the in-kernel version of this driver has often been 'dodgy', works in every Pup bar one, with no messing about. The exception? Slacko 570.....which I no longer use. (I now run its predecessor, 560, instead.....which works OOTB.)

Bill's driver for 570 just would not work.....no matter how often I blacklisted the in-kernel driver. I gave it up as a bad job eventually.....and stuck with eth0 in 570.

It's the only time I've ever had a problem of any kind with one of Bill's drivers. Most odd!

greengeek

Re: my laptop will not work outside

#138 Post by greengeek »

Pelo wrote: Most of new kernels will let your laptop without web if you don't stay indoor..
Hi Pelo, can you explain what you mean by this? Do you mean that you can not connect to the internet once you are outside your house? (but you used to be able to do this with old puppies?)

rcrsn51

#139 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Bill's driver for 570 just would not work
I checked this driver in Slacko 570 with PWF and it worked fine. It was auto-detected and did not need blacklisting. By any chance,were you using the nonPAE version of Slacko?

Mike Walsh

#140 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Bill.

No, I'd thought of that quite early on in the process. I know from reading various of the threads on this subject here on the Forum, that there's always been problems with the non-PAE version of Slacko 570.

Mine was the PAE version. I've always used them.

I really don't understand what the problem was, TBH. Your 'r8188eu' driver you let me have on more than one occasion for 570 always worked perfectly. The 'in-kernel' version of 'rtl8192cu' in Slacko just would not work, so I used your version, not expecting any problems at all. And was gobsmacked when I did.....

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem, since I no longer use 570. One of the first things I tried with 560 was whether the NetGear WNA-3100M adapter would work with the 'in-kernel' version of 'rtl8192cu'.....and it connected straight away!

I had to quit using 570; I also run rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2 (both use the same kernel), and quite early on they began to insist on putting their save-files/folders in each other's partitions, instead of their own. Since I run broadly the same range of apps on every Pup in the kennels, it became a nightmare trying to use the same SFS, for instance..... (*shakes head in exasperation*)

I suppose I could always run 570 from the LiveCD, and try the NetGear adapter out with your version of the driver that way. Do you want me to? I suppose it's always possible my savefile was starting to get corrupted; I did do an awful lot of messing around with 570 in the early days...