Canon pixma printer drivers

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mbridges1

#31 Post by mbridges1 »

On both windows systems, I installed went through the Control Panel / Printers and Faxes. I then clicked "Add a printer".

In the Add Printer Wizard, I selected "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer.

I then selected "Connect to this printer (or to browse ..... )" and entered:

http://<ip address>:631/printers/<Puppy printername>

At this point, if Windows can connect to the printer it will give you a pop-up window to select the manufacturer and model of printer. I had already installed the printer drivers for my printer on each of the Windows systems from the CD which came with the printer.

Before sending a test page, I clicked Finish on the wizard. Then I selected the printer and right-clicked on it to get to Properties. I added the commentary information to describe the printer and then clicked 'Advanced'. I changed the option for spooling to "Print directly to this printer" and clicked "Apply". Then I went back to the General tab and clicked to print a test page.

On the Puppy system, the drivers were installed from links provided by Patriot much earlier in this message stream.

Good Luck

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

I had already installed the printer drivers for my printer on each of the Windows systems from the CD which came with the printer.
Ok I thought as such as windows requires an inf whereas the adobe driver uses the ppd which worked for an epson

thanks for the info

regards

mike

Patriot

#33 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
mbridges1 wrote: ........
At this point, if Windows can connect to the printer it will give you a pop-up window to select the manufacturer and model of printer. I had already installed the printer drivers for my printer on each of the Windows systems from the CD which came with the printer. ........
Ah yes ... that's what I was about to comment on too ...

mikeb,
I've had this issue the first time I dabbled with CUPS 1.4b2 ... and from the experience, I would suggest using a windows printer driver on a windows system. This allows windows applications that use native windows printing API to be properly "rendered" by the printer driver. For this very reason, I've enabled raw printing as a default on the CUPS pet to allow direct printing from windows to a puppy shared printer (which is disabled by default in a normal CUPS package) .....

Anyway, most low-cost deskjet/inkjet printers that I've seen does not support postscript natively ...

Rgds

8-bit

#34 Post by 8-bit »

I tried to set up printing from Windows XP on one computer to Puppy 431 on the computer with a xerox lazer Docuprint P12 and a Canon MP390 inkjet printer.
I was able to set up printing to the xerox printer just fine and was able to print a test page to it from Windows XP.
But when I went to set up the Canon MP390 in Windows XP, it supposedly found the printer and I selected the windows driver for it in XP.
The driver in Puppy does not exist and I have been using the Canon bjc 8500 driver to print from Puppy.
Anyway, the XP computer, on print test page, sends the job. But no job is ever shown on the Puppy computer, no job is shown as pending on the XP computer and the Printer fails to print.
Am I looking at a driver conflict here?
Where the H did the job go?
I tried both spooling, works with the xerox, and direct to printer settings, but no joy to the Canon printer.

I also did not have a firewall in the way as I was able to print to the xerox just fine.
Stumped........?

8-bit

#35 Post by 8-bit »

I ran into a problem with Puppy 431 CUPS on a laptop printer connected wifi to my home network.
I set up the firewall to allow the host computer to bypass the firewall and also for the laptop to bypass it on each machine.
When I rebooted the laptop, the firewall was active and shared printers not shown.
I then created a bash script that started the firewall and then stopped and restarted CUPS.
When I would run that script after a reboot, the shared printers would show up.
So I put the script in my /root/startup folder and rebooted.
The shared printers then showed up.
No modifications to the firewall script were done other than those I mentioned above.
So why am I having to rerun the firewall startup and stop and restart CUPS for the shared printers to show?

mikeb

#36 Post by mikeb »

Hmmm well so far I can set up as apparently working...jobs get passed but nothing prints..my only clue is that canon printers will reject jobs with the wrong paper type/resolution/source with no error message

mike

Patriot

#37 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

8bit,
I'm guessing that the cups restart to refresh printer list is due to a race condition during bootups ... If the network config is not ready then of course, no printer will be seen ..... The simplest would be to put the script in Startup folder and check for network readiness first ...

Mike,
I'm unsure how to advise as I do not know how's your actual setup is ... If you're printing from windows to puppy, you may want to investigate adding a raw usb:// printer in puppy for windows printing ... That's how I'd usually do it ...

Rgds

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

I'm unsure how to advise as I do not know how's your actual setup is ... If you're printing from windows to puppy, you may want to investigate adding a raw usb:// printer in puppy for windows printing ... That's how I'd usually do it ...
Hmm..epson...cups on puppy normal setup....adobe postcript+ppd sent as raw
same for canon...will try raw usb but pretty sure cups needs to convert postscript sent over the LAN....the ppd merely used for options. If using canon printer driver on windows then raw would make more sense and probably ensure correct choices which I believe is the problem here. (gutenprint 5.2 by ttuuxxx gave similar problem as it was not passing on tray/paper correctly...5.0 was ok ...both using canon driver by you)

Cups polls for new printers regularily....and a firewall on a LAN?

Linux printing makes yer hair turn grey...good thing it's nice once running :D

mike

8-bit

#39 Post by 8-bit »

How would I set up a temporary CUPS debug/trace log on Puppy 431 with the version of CUPS that came with it?
As I stated earlier, I am trying to print from XP to Puppy (printers attached on Puppy).
I am able to print to the xerox printer from XP.
When I try to print to the Canon printer from XP, the job gets sent.
But there is no indication of Puppy seeing it.
My information on hardinfo selecting USB shows:

USB Devices
OHCI Host Controller
USB-Parallel Adapter (xerox printer)
IEEE-1284 Contoller (panasonic printer)
BC-1000D (Backup Power Supply)
EHCI Host Controller
MP390 Series

Is it that the Canon printer is just to smart? It is a Multi-function printer (Canon MultiPass MP390). And a specific linux driver has never been made. I use the BJC 8500 driver with it.
I should also mention that I can print to it fine from a laptop connected wirelessly to my network running Puppy 431 on the laptop.

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

hmm... have a nosey through herehttp://mp610.blogspot.com/

the bit I found mentioned a problem with sharing with cups to windows using the canon driver so they made a custom driver to handle this.....not sure how much would apply to you

mike

8-bit

#41 Post by 8-bit »

The blog did not cover my printer and seems to be more about an update to SANE.
For those trying to get a multifunction scanner to work, it could still be of interest.
So I am still at the stage of trying to figure out where the sent print job ended up or if it was rejected by CUPS or Glutenprint.

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

As mentioned in the first post cups 1.2+ (1.3+ for wireless) is needed but puppy 4.12, and I assume, older versions use 1.1.23. Printing still works but monitoring will not.
cups-config --version
will list the version.

mike

Patriot

#43 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

So, any progress? Sorry gentlemen, I'm kinda busy right now and couldn't really focus on puppy stuffs ... Will be back messing with puppy again real soon ....

Rgds

mikeb

#44 Post by mikeb »

So, any progress? Sorry gentlemen, I'm kinda busy right now and couldn't really focus on puppy stuffs ... Will be back messing with puppy again real soon ....
no problem...I actually joined in as 8-bit was stuck and wondered if any of my experience with canon may be of help with his problem.

Your patience is very appreciated

regards

mike
How would I set up a temporary CUPS debug/trace log on Puppy 431 with the version of CUPS that came with it?
edit '/etc/cups/cupd.conf'
set 'LogLevel debug'
monitor at '/var/log/cups/error_log'

I suspect not having the specific driver could indeed mean the printer is unhappy with the options being sent from the windows machine....jury still out on that one...wrestling with wpa at the moment :D

8-bit

#45 Post by 8-bit »

I did some searching on the internet and found out what I was doing wrong on the Windows PC in setting up the printer.
I had selected network printer, and supplied the address:port/printers[name of printer on Puppy].
But I selected the Windows driver for it. Big mistake!
After following the instructions to follow, it printed fine.
One would think that the specific driver for the printer was needed on Windows. Evidently that is not so.
So If your printer fails to print from Windows to Puppy on a network connection, try this.

1. Set up the printer on your Linux machine and share it using CUPS via port 631. The exact method for doing this varies between distributions, so check with your distro's documentation. The end result should be a working printer, and a running CUPS service which you can access through your Web browser at http://localhost:631 from the Linux system.

2. Using the CUPS Web interface, go to the Printers tab and make a note of the printer name, which is typically the Description: line). You can do this from the Windows machine where you plan to set up printer support.

3. In Windows, go to Control Panel | Printers and click onAdd a printer.

4. When prompted for a printer location, select Network printer, in the Add Printer Wizard.

5. When prompted for the network location, select URL and use the following URL format: http://<hostname>:631/printers/<printername>.

For instance, if the Linux host has a DNS name of linuxbox and the printer is named LaserJet-5, you'd use http://linuxbox:631/printers/LaserJet-5 as the URL.

6. When asked for a printer driver, select Generic as the manufacturer and MS Publisher Imagesetter as the driver. In truth, any generic PostScript driver will do, but this works as well as any.

7. When finished with the wizard, print a test page to make sure everything is set up correctly.

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

6. When asked for a printer driver, select Generic as the manufacturer and MS Publisher Imagesetter as the driver. In truth, any generic PostScript driver will do, but this works as well as any.
Bummer I tried that one but no go...sends jobs but no print and no errors..probably related to option settings so I will play again...using IP4600...in theory the postscript gets converted at the cups side just like an lp job.

Well glad you got it running......easy once you find the way :D ...it's finding that way which is the challenge.
I solved a 2 day WPA2 problem which was fixed by removing one line in a config file.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...ooo but I learnt loads :)

mike

Wheres One

#47 Post by Wheres One »

@Patriot

It seems that the driver for the ip3300 series has been removed; would you mind reloading it? Sorry to have to bother you.

Wheres One

Patriot

#48 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
Wheres One wrote:It seems that the driver for the ip3300 series has been removed; would you mind reloading it? .....
Ok, done ..... all links are updated and working as of today ...

I had net disruption for a week. Had to re-cable some stuffs and rebuild-n-refine a few net drivers ... Should be okay now .....

Rgds

Wheres One

#49 Post by Wheres One »

Thanks for getting that fixed quickly. :D

Wheres One

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

Patriot keeps the puppy cogs well oiled :)

mike