Canon pixma printer drivers

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Sit Heel Speak

#91 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

rcrsn51 wrote:Do any of the Gutenprint drivers work with this unit?
Yeah, back to the Gutenprint+MP180 driver for now.

vtpup

#92 Post by vtpup »

Thanks for the new link for Canon MX870. It appears to work fine in preliminary testing (testpage). I did have to update CUPS to 1.3x and add the Canon software CUPS backend drivers per your instructions to get wireless working. All are functioning now. Puppy system tested is 4.3.2 v3.

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

vtpup wrote: I did have to update CUPS to 1.3x and add the Canon software CUPS backend drivers per your instructions to get wireless working..
Excellent. Could you please describe what additional steps you needed to implement wireless printing?

vtpup

#94 Post by vtpup »

rcrsn51, as I remember it I:
pets:
1.) added canon_mx870-3.30
2.) added cups-bjnp-0.5.4-i486
3.) added cups-1.3.33-i486
4.) setdefprn-1.0.pet
5.) foomatic-filters-4.04-i486
6.) Had to upgrade the GTK 2 backend libs in order to get Gimp to find the CUPS 1.3x printers. (cups-1311-be-for-gtk-2.12.x-i486.tar.gz)

7.) Added port 8611-8614 to puppy firewall

8.) Restarted Puppy (important, not just X)

9.) Set up the printer using manual method (buttons and printer status screen). This includes making sure printer is in wireless mode (not LAN mode) and adding any existing network ESSID, WPA, etc. info according to your needs.

Problems recently discovered:

1.) The upgrade to CUPS 1.3x removes all existing printer drivers. Many of these took a long time to figure out, and so I've been reluctant to upgrade the other computers on my network until I really am sure that the CUPS 1.3x/CanonMX870 setup is going to work. I will have to record and rewrite the older printer setups if I do convert all computers to CUPS 1.3x

2.) The canon_mx870-3.30 driver does not include B+W printing and only one resolution (600 dpi) is supported. (At least, there are no other options than 600dpi and RGB in the CUPS Printer dialog.) I don't know whether a program can override this limitation on a printout, but it doesn't look like it can.

Color printing of all text documents is impractical as it would be incredibly expensive. The quality is also not very good for text printed in color.

So it looks like this is not going to work out for me, as it stands now. 90% of my needs are for B+W printing.
Last edited by vtpup on Sun 06 Mar 2011, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

The canon_mx870-3.30 driver does not include B+W printing and only one resolution (600 dpi) is supported.
That's annoying. I did a simulated install and I could not find any other options either. Then I checked some other Canon models and they were the same way - just RGB at 600DPI. This driver is built using the "official" .deb packages from the Canon site so there aren't any other options available.

I will try installing my MP490 in Ubuntu and see if it gives any more options.

vtpup

#96 Post by vtpup »

Thank you for all your work anyway rcrsn51.

The real problem is Canon's lack of support of Linux, historically. I had the same problem, as I remember it now, with my old Canon S600. That was why I eventually went to Turboprint.

No relief there though, either. Unfortunately, my present version of Turboprint doesn't include the MX870. And I refuse to send those folks any more money after they stranded me without support a couple months after I bought, it unless I bought a newer version.

I eventually worked around the earlier problem by analyzing Turboprint's installation procedure, and I may need to go even deeper again here. What a pain. Printing in Linux is the biggest obstacle to easy acceptance, I believe.

vtpup

#97 Post by vtpup »

Looks like Canon has a new combined Linux printer/scanner package here?

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0038683.asp

rcrsn51

#98 Post by rcrsn51 »

I booted Ubuntu 10.10 off its Live CD. It detected my MP490 but had no driver for it. So the only alternative was to go to the Canon site, which would have gotten me the same driver and PPD as in Puppy.

I looked at the combined package. It just appears to be the existing printer and scanner drivers bundled together.

I just installed a Brother MFC-J415W and was quite impressed. It has a full set of printing options. Both wireless printing and scanning were dead easy to set up.

vtpup

#99 Post by vtpup »

The moral is, buy Brother, brother.

Thanks again.

tuckson

latest puppy, 5.2 and MP620

#100 Post by tuckson »

Hi,

Am rather new to this puppy world. Have a network here with a canon MP620 wirelessly attached. It's being used for ages with my windows machines. However now I have this old laptop which is running puppy 5.2 for my daugther to do some schoolwork on. Would be nice if she could printe sometimes too.

Is any of the files mentioned here ready to be used on this system?

THIA

edit: The printer is available via the network on an ip adress, so I do not mean to find it via wifi. Puppy is connected tot the network on ethernet.

rcrsn51

#101 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your MP620 is problematic - Canon doesn't even list a Linux driver for it. However, we should be able to get it working.

First, connect it directly to your Puppy machine with a USB cable. Once you have the correct driver installed, you can address the networking issue.

Install the canon_mp620-2.80.pet attached below.

Go to the CUPS web interface and install your printer. Hopefully, it will be auto-detected as an MP620. Print a test page.

Once you have all of that working, come back for details about networking.

[Edit] Even if the printer won't work via USB, the networked driver may still work. Go back to the start of this thread and get the cups-bjnp-0.5.4-i486.pet. Note the comments about firewalls.

However, there has been no confirmation that this driver works in CUPS 1.4. If not, you might want to try it in Quirky or Wary, which have CUPS 1.3.

If you have an MP620 working in a recent Puppy, PLEASE provide some feeback.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 12 Mar 2011, 13:40, edited 4 times in total.

tuckson

#102 Post by tuckson »

Hi,

tried installing the mp620 via usb. after installing the driver, I could select it. However when trying to print a little test from goffice writer, cups shows the printhob as completed. Only it never arrived at the printer

Am at work now, but will try again tonight.

wait a second.... did you edit your prev. post? I recall diffent download locations and files. Or am I messing threads up again? :(

rcrsn51

#103 Post by rcrsn51 »

tuckson wrote: did you edit your prev. post? I recall diffent download locations and files.
Yes. I combined the steps into a single PET. Try it instead.

To test the printer, temporarily remove your goffice - some of these packages are known to conflict with CUPS. Then print a test page from the CUPS web interface.

tuckson

#104 Post by tuckson »

Well...uninstalled the files and then installed yours.
Cups found 2 usb printers. However, having addad each one of the as a printer can say that none seemed to work. The first one could not print and held the job, the second one told the job is completed, however, the printer recieved no data. usb ports are fine, are being used for maouse and keyboeard to now and then. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
The 2nd one found a location tot usb:///canon/blablabla and the 1st one to usb:///puppypc/blablabla

rcrsn51

#105 Post by rcrsn51 »

tuckson wrote: Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Sorry. We are just repeating the procedure from here where it apparently worked.

My only other suggestion would be to boot off your Live CD using "puppy pfix=ram" so you have a clean setup. Then install the printer again.

rcrsn51

#106 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are drivers for the MP280, MP495 and MG5100 series.

The MG5100 has never been tested. Please provide feedback.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 18:39, edited 5 times in total.

joelh

pixma

#107 Post by joelh »

with this .pet it works fine, now i just got to test the scanner, thanks a lot : great job !

joelh

pixma scanner

#108 Post by joelh »

# sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1747 [MP495 series]) at libusb:002:002
found USB scanner (vendor=0x041e [Creative], product=0x401d [Creative WebCam NX Ultra]) at libusb:001:002
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.
#
The scanner doesn't work yet but it's detected, did i miss something?? thanks a lot for guide me ;)

rcrsn51

#109 Post by rcrsn51 »

For Canon scanning, read here.

Your first choice should be the pixma-backend-qrky-1.0.21.pet. Test it with Xsane in the Graphic menu.

joelh

pixma

#110 Post by joelh »

still the "no devices avaible" message with pixma-backend-qrky-1.0.21.pet