Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 21:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
ChoicePup431 - a gnu way
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
ICPUG

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 07:52    Post_subject:  

jrb Quote:

421 (barebones) works quite well but really shows off which program dependencies were included in ChoicePup and not in the SFS packages.

unQuote

OK - thanks for testing. Look like we need to use the standard 4.2.1 or, better perhaps, ttuuxxx's version without pwidgets to get a fully working 4.2.1 system.

I wonder if dependencies makes starting from a barebones a bit of a headache as each sfs would need to add the dependent files and there could be a lot of duplication. I guess this is something that has to be decided before 4.4CE.
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 10:47    Post_subject:  

sunburnt wrote:
It seems like the file: ld.so.conf would get really full after loading lots of SFS files.

Hopefully not a problem. I have sfs_unlinker setup to remove the extra lines when an SFS is uninstalled.

I should mention that other puppy versions will require ldconfig to be installed. I'll post .pets of the appropriate ones.

Do you have a url for skye sfs? Will be glad to set it up but my internet is too limited to try it out.
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 11:28    Post_subject:  

tlchost wrote:
Are you using the small 4.30 iso?

No, using the full 430. I need the big one for my intel graphics. Got a good deal on a 4 year old hp compaq. Runs well but the graphics are a bit of a pain to set up.

Have you tried 430 with the older kernels?
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 12:22    Post_subject:  

ICPUG wrote:
each sfs would need to add the dependent files and there could be a lot of duplication

Yes, but I don't think that would hurt since the SFS aren't loaded into ram. And I really like the idea of just being able to slap SFS_linker onto a barebones and have it work.
tlchost

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 12:32    Post_subject:  

jrb wrote:
tlchost wrote:
Are you using the small 4.30 iso?

No, using the full 430.
Have you tried 430 with the older kernels?

I had such terrible luck with 430 that I gave up on it....I see that one I made that boots the laptop from a usb drive is the one with the 2.6.21.7 kernel .... The advantage is that it does NOT use the new sfs files.

I hope you don't abandon the older version(s) of ChoicePup.

Thom
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 21:46    Post_subject:  

I have just uploaded SFS_Linker-1.2-430.pet. This is a cleaned up version of SFS_Linker1.1, polished almost.

Please uninstall 1.1 and install this instead. I'm really happy with this one. Very Happy I think its a production model.

Cheers, J
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 23:51    Post_subject:  

Bert wrote:
Removed.
(was not a good joke)

Actually Bert I thought it was pretty clever. Laughing Cleverer than me anyway, I couldn't think of a good comeback.

So replace it with a better one.

Cheers, J
jrb

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 00:02    Post_subject:  

tlchost wrote:

Don't worry Thom. I'm trying to keep this new system fully compatible with the old kernels.

Have decided to build (and rebuild the old) the new SFS packages in SFS3 with the old kernel Puppy430 and then convert them to SFS4. That way they'll work with both.

Don't think I'll do any more updating on ChoicePup412 though. Might as well move ahead.

Cheers, J
jur

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 19:59    Post_subject:  

I like it! I love the idea of the portable-ness.

Just a few queries... but please keep in mind I'm new to linux and especially puppy...

* Google Earth didn't work (I did install the required extra OpenGL stuff as noted). It basically didn't start as far as I could see. You will have to ask me to do specific steps to track this one down. I run a EeePC 1000HE with 1600x900 external monitor.

* The extra pets for this, I am confused as to whether these need to be installed in Choicepup as well, or are they already there? I did install the sfs right-click linker, but not sure if this is or isn't present in Choicepup.

* Is this puppy be stripped to the bare bones, leaving you to choose everything? I did notice a huge amount of stuff in the menus. I want to start with a bare menu... Smile
tlchost

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 22:55    Post_subject:  

jrb wrote:
tlchost wrote:

Don't worry Thom. I'm trying to keep this new system fully compatible with the old kernels.

I'm hunting in second-hand shops for a USB keyboard with a volume control. I think that 430 is having problems seeing a ps2 keyboard that is connected via a ps2<>usb adapter.

I really don't want to have one keyboard for Windows and another for Puppy.

Thom
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 01:14    Post_subject:  

jur wrote:
Google Earth didn't work (I did install the required extra OpenGL stuff as noted).

I should have mentioned, you have to reboot after installing xorg_xorg_full_dri before the OpenGl will work.
Quote:
extra pets for this, I am confused as to whether these need to be installed

No, they are already in ChoicePup.
Quote:
Is this puppy be stripped to the bare bones

No, this was just a quick knock off that I put together to test out the new SFS linking system. I think I've got that pretty well finished now.

Next on the list is to make sure all the SFS packages work well both by SFS_linker and Bootmanager. This is going well, but some of the packages that I have already uploaded will be replaced soon with slightly better ones.

After getting most of the packages together I will turn out a really stripped version, ChoicePup430min (431?). Should be out in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks for your interest, J
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 01:23    Post_subject:  

Thom,
The good news is that SFS_Linker works very well with the old kernel Puppy430's.

The bad news is it doesn't work so well with barebones412. The woof build pups have a new petget package manager. I used some of that code in SFS_unlinker and its not totally compatible, kind of hit and miss. Not all the symlinks get removed and even after one use some programs hang.

I could build an SFS_unlinker for 412 and 421 but why bother? ChoicePup412 works so well just the way it is.

Anyway I am building all the packages in SFS3 and SFS4 for both the old and new kernel versions of Puppy430. I hope you get your machine running with one of those soon.

Bye for now, J
jur

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 01:55    Post_subject:  

jrb wrote:

Next on the list is to make sure all the SFS packages work well both by SFS_linker and Bootmanager. This is going well, but some of the packages that I have already uploaded will be replaced soon with slightly better ones.

After getting most of the packages together I will turn out a really stripped version, ChoicePup430min (431?). Should be out in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks for your interest, J
Is there anything specific I could do to test? Load all the sfs and see if they run?

BTW, on another forum (tinycorelinux) I saw someone posting that the Google Earth licence forbids re-distribution such as you are doing. Not sure if that applies here or not.
jur

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 08:00    Post_subject:  

More feedback...

The xorg pet made my EeePC 100HE netbook crash when using wine. Or, rather X crashed.

The same thing happened when trying to run Google Earth. The splash screen came up, then X exited.

I uninstalled the xorg pet and all was good again, but Google Earth does now not run at all.
ICPUG

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 08:23    Post_subject:  

jrb said:

I should mention that other puppy versions will require ldconfig to be installed. I'll post .pets of the appropriate ones.

Just a reminder Wink

Things are moving so fast I am beginning to lose track of what is needed to be done to get this to work. Is it like this?

1) Get your Puppy - I'm gonna use ttuuxxx 4.2 I think
2) get SFS_Linker-1.2-430.pet and install
3) get your suggested ldconfig.pet and install
<instructions for linking/installing an sfs>
<instructions for unlinking/removing an sfs - does one need to install an unlinker pet as well?>

I'm not sure how linked sfs works but I am assuming it is a bit like another mount point with the sfs being like a mounted files system. If a program in an sfs needs to store configuration settings will they go into the pupsave file as normal or will it try to write to the sfs and fail?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum