ChoicePup431 - a gnu way

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ICPUG

#16 Post by ICPUG »

jrb Quote:

421 (barebones) works quite well but really shows off which program dependencies were included in ChoicePup and not in the SFS packages.

unQuote

OK - thanks for testing. Look like we need to use the standard 4.2.1 or, better perhaps, ttuuxxx's version without pwidgets to get a fully working 4.2.1 system.

I wonder if dependencies makes starting from a barebones a bit of a headache as each sfs would need to add the dependent files and there could be a lot of duplication. I guess this is something that has to be decided before 4.4CE.

jrb

#17 Post by jrb »

sunburnt wrote:It seems like the file: ld.so.conf would get really full after loading lots of SFS files.
Hopefully not a problem. I have sfs_unlinker setup to remove the extra lines when an SFS is uninstalled.

I should mention that other puppy versions will require ldconfig to be installed. I'll post .pets of the appropriate ones.

Do you have a url for skye sfs? Will be glad to set it up but my internet is too limited to try it out.

jrb

#18 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:Are you using the small 4.30 iso?
No, using the full 430. I need the big one for my intel graphics. Got a good deal on a 4 year old hp compaq. Runs well but the graphics are a bit of a pain to set up.

Have you tried 430 with the older kernels?

jrb

#19 Post by jrb »

ICPUG wrote:each sfs would need to add the dependent files and there could be a lot of duplication
Yes, but I don't think that would hurt since the SFS aren't loaded into ram. And I really like the idea of just being able to slap SFS_linker onto a barebones and have it work.

tlchost

#20 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
No, using the full 430.
Have you tried 430 with the older kernels?
I had such terrible luck with 430 that I gave up on it....I see that one I made that boots the laptop from a usb drive is the one with the 2.6.21.7 kernel .... The advantage is that it does NOT use the new sfs files.

I hope you don't abandon the older version(s) of ChoicePup.

Thom

jrb

#21 Post by jrb »

I have just uploaded SFS_Linker-1.2-430.pet. This is a cleaned up version of SFS_Linker1.1, polished almost.

Please uninstall 1.1 and install this instead. I'm really happy with this one. :D I think its a production model.

Cheers, J

jrb

#22 Post by jrb »

Bert wrote:Removed.
(was not a good joke)
Actually Bert I thought it was pretty clever. :lol: Cleverer than me anyway, I couldn't think of a good comeback.

So replace it with a better one.

Cheers, J

jrb

#23 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:I hope you don't abandon the older version(s) of ChoicePup.
Don't worry Thom. I'm trying to keep this new system fully compatible with the old kernels.

Have decided to build (and rebuild the old) the new SFS packages in SFS3 with the old kernel Puppy430 and then convert them to SFS4. That way they'll work with both.

Don't think I'll do any more updating on ChoicePup412 though. Might as well move ahead.

Cheers, J

jur

#24 Post by jur »

I like it! I love the idea of the portable-ness.

Just a few queries... but please keep in mind I'm new to linux and especially puppy...

* Google Earth didn't work (I did install the required extra OpenGL stuff as noted). It basically didn't start as far as I could see. You will have to ask me to do specific steps to track this one down. I run a EeePC 1000HE with 1600x900 external monitor.

* The extra pets for this, I am confused as to whether these need to be installed in Choicepup as well, or are they already there? I did install the sfs right-click linker, but not sure if this is or isn't present in Choicepup.

* Is this puppy be stripped to the bare bones, leaving you to choose everything? I did notice a huge amount of stuff in the menus. I want to start with a bare menu... :)

tlchost

#25 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
tlchost wrote:I hope you don't abandon the older version(s) of ChoicePup.
Don't worry Thom. I'm trying to keep this new system fully compatible with the old kernels.
I'm hunting in second-hand shops for a USB keyboard with a volume control. I think that 430 is having problems seeing a ps2 keyboard that is connected via a ps2<>usb adapter.

I really don't want to have one keyboard for Windows and another for Puppy.

Thom

jrb

#26 Post by jrb »

jur wrote:Google Earth didn't work (I did install the required extra OpenGL stuff as noted).
I should have mentioned, you have to reboot after installing xorg_xorg_full_dri before the OpenGl will work.
extra pets for this, I am confused as to whether these need to be installed
No, they are already in ChoicePup.
Is this puppy be stripped to the bare bones
No, this was just a quick knock off that I put together to test out the new SFS linking system. I think I've got that pretty well finished now.

Next on the list is to make sure all the SFS packages work well both by SFS_linker and Bootmanager. This is going well, but some of the packages that I have already uploaded will be replaced soon with slightly better ones.

After getting most of the packages together I will turn out a really stripped version, ChoicePup430min (431?). Should be out in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks for your interest, J

jrb

#27 Post by jrb »

Thom,
The good news is that SFS_Linker works very well with the old kernel Puppy430's.

The bad news is it doesn't work so well with barebones412. The woof build pups have a new petget package manager. I used some of that code in SFS_unlinker and its not totally compatible, kind of hit and miss. Not all the symlinks get removed and even after one use some programs hang.

I could build an SFS_unlinker for 412 and 421 but why bother? ChoicePup412 works so well just the way it is.

Anyway I am building all the packages in SFS3 and SFS4 for both the old and new kernel versions of Puppy430. I hope you get your machine running with one of those soon.

Bye for now, J

jur

#28 Post by jur »

jrb wrote: Next on the list is to make sure all the SFS packages work well both by SFS_linker and Bootmanager. This is going well, but some of the packages that I have already uploaded will be replaced soon with slightly better ones.

After getting most of the packages together I will turn out a really stripped version, ChoicePup430min (431?). Should be out in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks for your interest, J
Is there anything specific I could do to test? Load all the sfs and see if they run?

BTW, on another forum (tinycorelinux) I saw someone posting that the Google Earth licence forbids re-distribution such as you are doing. Not sure if that applies here or not.

jur

#29 Post by jur »

More feedback...

The xorg pet made my EeePC 100HE netbook crash when using wine. Or, rather X crashed.

The same thing happened when trying to run Google Earth. The splash screen came up, then X exited.

I uninstalled the xorg pet and all was good again, but Google Earth does now not run at all.

ICPUG

#30 Post by ICPUG »

jrb said:

I should mention that other puppy versions will require ldconfig to be installed. I'll post .pets of the appropriate ones.

Just a reminder ;)

Things are moving so fast I am beginning to lose track of what is needed to be done to get this to work. Is it like this?

1) Get your Puppy - I'm gonna use ttuuxxx 4.2 I think
2) get SFS_Linker-1.2-430.pet and install
3) get your suggested ldconfig.pet and install
<instructions for linking/installing an sfs>
<instructions for unlinking/removing an sfs - does one need to install an unlinker pet as well?>

I'm not sure how linked sfs works but I am assuming it is a bit like another mount point with the sfs being like a mounted files system. If a program in an sfs needs to store configuration settings will they go into the pupsave file as normal or will it try to write to the sfs and fail?

tlchost

#31 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: I could build an SFS_unlinker for 412 and 421 but why bother? ChoicePup412 works so well just the way it is.
It certainly does....perhaps the PetMaker will be modified to convert the new sfs to the old style.

Does 4.3 support pet2sfs?
Anyway I am building all the packages in SFS3 and SFS4 for both the old and new kernel versions of Puppy430. I hope you get your machine running with one of those soon.
My machine works with the old kernel version of 4.3 ... so I think I'm out of the woods. Hopefully a USB keyboard will solve the problem with the new kernel version not recognizing my keyboard.

It's always an adventure, this computer stuff.

Thom

jrb

#32 Post by jrb »

jur wrote:The xorg pet made my EeePC 100HE netbook crash when using wine. Or, rather X crashed.
If you can't find a fix in the EeePC puppy threads I'll put together an ISO using xorg7.0 and you can try that. Its worked well for me in the past (but not on my newest computer). Let me know by Sunday and I'll upload it on Monday (much better internet at work).

jrb

#33 Post by jrb »

ICPUG,
1) Get your Puppy - I'm gonna use ttuuxxx 4.2 I think
2) get SFS_Linker-1.2-430.pet and install
Those two steps are enough. All that other stuff is just for non ChoicePup ISO's

I can see I need to go back and rewrite page1 to clarify a few things.

I don't think configuration settings will be a problem since when the symlinking takes place, real folders are created in the actual linux file system. The new configuration files will be saved in the pup_save, I hope! Seems to work so far anyway.

jrb

#34 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:Does 4.3 support pet2sfs?]
Don't know. I'm having to custom make most of these new SFS's so have been using dir2sfs. Pizzasgood's SFS_editor2.0 works great though. Will work in puppy430k2.6.30.5 on either SFS4 or SFS3 files. Has saved me loads of time.
It's always an adventure, this computer stuff.
Yeah, that's the attraction. If I wanted dull I'd buy a MAC. :wink:

tlchost

#35 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
No, using the full 430.
Discovered the following
This version does not recognize my ps2 keyboard connected via a ps2<>USB converter during first boot. Booted laptop from the DVD, setup the keyboard and xvesa, then moved DVD and usb with savefile to
desktop.

Desktop booted up, recognized keyboard and trackball.

BUT....this version doesn't recognize my on the mobo intell audio chip as all older versions does...and does not recognize my network interface.

I suppose I'll have to burn each version of 4.3 and determine which one works with both the desktop and the laptop.

At this point the only one that I am sure of is the pup-430-k2.6.21.7

Can I use the new choicepup files with that old kernel?

The harder I try to understand this stuff, the more times I meet myself rushing around the corner. So far I have not knocked myself over...but it's getting close to that.

Thom