ChoicePup431 - a gnu way

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tlchost

#31 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: I could build an SFS_unlinker for 412 and 421 but why bother? ChoicePup412 works so well just the way it is.
It certainly does....perhaps the PetMaker will be modified to convert the new sfs to the old style.

Does 4.3 support pet2sfs?
Anyway I am building all the packages in SFS3 and SFS4 for both the old and new kernel versions of Puppy430. I hope you get your machine running with one of those soon.
My machine works with the old kernel version of 4.3 ... so I think I'm out of the woods. Hopefully a USB keyboard will solve the problem with the new kernel version not recognizing my keyboard.

It's always an adventure, this computer stuff.

Thom

jrb

#32 Post by jrb »

jur wrote:The xorg pet made my EeePC 100HE netbook crash when using wine. Or, rather X crashed.
If you can't find a fix in the EeePC puppy threads I'll put together an ISO using xorg7.0 and you can try that. Its worked well for me in the past (but not on my newest computer). Let me know by Sunday and I'll upload it on Monday (much better internet at work).

jrb

#33 Post by jrb »

ICPUG,
1) Get your Puppy - I'm gonna use ttuuxxx 4.2 I think
2) get SFS_Linker-1.2-430.pet and install
Those two steps are enough. All that other stuff is just for non ChoicePup ISO's

I can see I need to go back and rewrite page1 to clarify a few things.

I don't think configuration settings will be a problem since when the symlinking takes place, real folders are created in the actual linux file system. The new configuration files will be saved in the pup_save, I hope! Seems to work so far anyway.

jrb

#34 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:Does 4.3 support pet2sfs?]
Don't know. I'm having to custom make most of these new SFS's so have been using dir2sfs. Pizzasgood's SFS_editor2.0 works great though. Will work in puppy430k2.6.30.5 on either SFS4 or SFS3 files. Has saved me loads of time.
It's always an adventure, this computer stuff.
Yeah, that's the attraction. If I wanted dull I'd buy a MAC. :wink:

tlchost

#35 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
tlchost wrote:Are you using the small 4.30 iso?
No, using the full 430.
Discovered the following
This version does not recognize my ps2 keyboard connected via a ps2<>USB converter during first boot. Booted laptop from the DVD, setup the keyboard and xvesa, then moved DVD and usb with savefile to
desktop.

Desktop booted up, recognized keyboard and trackball.

BUT....this version doesn't recognize my on the mobo intell audio chip as all older versions does...and does not recognize my network interface.

I suppose I'll have to burn each version of 4.3 and determine which one works with both the desktop and the laptop.

At this point the only one that I am sure of is the pup-430-k2.6.21.7

Can I use the new choicepup files with that old kernel?

The harder I try to understand this stuff, the more times I meet myself rushing around the corner. So far I have not knocked myself over...but it's getting close to that.

Thom

kazzamozz

ChoicePUP430 - a new way

#36 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi there,
this sounds amazing, will only be too happy to give it a test out on my various machines.
Great idea re the SFSs
keep up the good work.
Cheers
Kazzamozz

kazzamozz

ChoicePup430 - a new way

#37 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi JRB
Before I download your Openoffice SFS can I use the latest one that
Barry has uploaded for puppy 430.? Just wondering if yours has something special in it required to be used in your ChoicePup430.
:)

jrb

#38 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:Can I use the new choicepup files with that old kernel?]
I will be uploading ch3- versions of the new SFS packages soon. They work fine in the old kernel version, have been testing them as I go. Right now all the major packages are working quite well, office suites, browsers, media. What I'm working on now is how they interact with each other and with bootmanager. Its going well though and I don't think it will take me much longer. How's that for optimism?

My ISP just got a new low frequency radio transmitter and I'm set up on it as of 3 hours ago. Supposed to penetrate trees and it is working much better than my old setup. Its nice to have daytime internet! I'll upload a new SFS_Linker and some ch3 pets pretty soon and you can try them out on the old kernel pup430.

jrb

#39 Post by jrb »

kazzamozz wrote:Before I download your Openoffice SFS can I use the latest one that Barry has uploaded for puppy 430.? Just wondering if yours has something special in it required to be used in your ChoicePup430.
I've modified Barry's OO3.1 and have it running. It does take some special handling. You can run his if you use SFS_linker and then go directly to /mnt/ch4-OpenOffice-3.1.1.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program/swriter and click on it to start OOwriter. Thats a little awkward. If you can wait until next week I'll upload mine. Right now it runs from the menus but I have had to modify /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor to get it to work from the desktop icons without conflicting with Abiword and I'm still working out a few bugs there.

tlchost

#40 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: I will be uploading ch3- versions of the new SFS packages soon.

I'll upload a new SFS_Linker and some ch3 pets pretty soon and you can try them out on the old kernel pup430.
I'm still confused(nothing new)...4.3x versions can not run older sfs files?
Older versions don't run the new sfs files?

So, if that's the case, I will have to attempt to convert the older style sfs files I created from pets to the newer style sfs?

Just booted up the pre-release 4.31 and it not only boots my desktop and laptop, it also creates a bootable USB that works on both and recognizes my sound card, my network and wireless and allows me to install my HP LaserJet1012 with no problems.

Once there is a final 3.1 release will you crank out ChoicePup431?

Thom

jrb

#41 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:I'm still confused(nothing new)...4.3x versions can not run older sfs files? Older versions don't run the new sfs files?
It is confusing but here's an explanation. The older kernels, 2.6.21.7 and 2.6.25.16, will only run SFS3's, an older squashfile system. The new kernel 2.6.30.1 only runs SFS4's, the latest squashfile system.

So here we are with Puppy430 which has versions of all three kernels. What a mess! So I have been making SFS3 and SFS4 versions of all my ch packages but I haven't uploaded any of the ch3's so far. Will do so next week.

Great to here that 431 is working for you. :D Is that with the old keyboard too? It looks like Barry is ahead of schedule so I may jump right to ChoicePup431. I've just installed the service pack conversion into ChoicePup430test1 this morning so will be putting that through some testing but so far it seems fine. Maybe if the new kernel 431 works for everyone I can dispense with the older kernels?

Cheers, J

jrb

#42 Post by jrb »

Have just uploaded SFS_Linker-1.3-430.pet

Nicer messages and a slight fix to deal with difficult SFS's.

Please uninstall SFS_Linker-1.2-430 and try this one.

Thanks, J
Last edited by jrb on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#43 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: It is confusing but here's an explanation. The older kernels, 2.6.21.7 and 2.6.25.16, will only run SFS3's, an older squashfile system. The new kernel 2.6.30.1 only runs SFS4's, the latest squashfile system.
That's what I thought....
Great to here that 431 is working for you. :D Is that with the old keyboard too? It looks like Barry is ahead of schedule so I may jump right to ChoicePup431.
Yep.....it seems that Barry's fixed a LOT of stuff in 431.....He commented that it might be that this version will be renamed the final version. I see some bugs reported....but not too many.
I've just installed the service pack conversion into ChoicePup430test1 this morning so will be putting that through some testing but so far it seems fine. Maybe if the new kernel 431 works for everyone I can dispense with the older kernels?
It appears that might be the case. The vexing stuff will be converting some of the old sfs to the new format....I make an sfs of the latest LAMPP...it works fine....so I suppose I could remake it.

Did I recall you saying you might add some extra loops in this version of ChoicePup? The concept you have is better than sliced bread....

Thom

jrb

#44 Post by jrb »

Have just reuploaded SFS_Linker-1.3-430.pet

Realized one of the corrections I made didn't make it in. :oops:

If anyone has already downloaded and installed. Please uninstall and do it over again.

Thanks, J

jrb

#45 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:The vexing stuff will be converting some of the old sfs to the new format.
Actually most of the SFS packages I've converted with trio's converter have run right from the get go. The problems have come in trying to get them to work from the Desktop icons.

Only three have been difficult and thats OpenOffice, Googleearth and Koffice. They each needed special accomodations but I think I've got them running OK now. Some programs need absolute links right to the main program file or a script to that effect. Googleearth needed to be installed directly to /mnt/Googlearth/etc/opt... Still not sure if I can get it to run when loaded with bootmanager.

The mozilla browsers caused a few problems but only because I didn't want them sharing the same /root/.mozilla.

Good luck with your LAMPP file. Give me a shout if you need any help

Bye for now, J

tlchost

#46 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: Good luck with your LAMPP file. Give me a shout if you need any help
Thanks for the kind offer...I finally found another USB drive that I setup to

use with the sfs converter...and now have a 4 version of XAMPP172

and OxygenOffice 301.

It seems that any version of OpenOffice3.1.1 available for Puppy causes the MySQL in XAMPP to stop working.
I've noticed the problem with XAMPP installed normally and the sfs files.
Have just reuploaded SFS_Linker-1.3-430.pet
Once again, I am confused....does this overcome the small number of loops that Barry allows in 4.3 and older versions?

Thanks
Thom

jrb

#47 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:.does this overcome the small number of loops that Barry allows in 4.3 and older versions?
Yes, as long as you:
If you set up a frugal or usb install please add:Code:
maxloop=28
to the kernel line in menu.1st or the append line in syslinux.cfg. With it you can use 24 SFS packages, without it you get 9.
This is already done if your using the ChoicePup CD. You have to set it up yourself for frugal and usb installs.

tlchost

#48 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:If you set up a frugal or usb install please add:Code:
maxloop=28
I've tried with 2 different downloads to install it in puppy431 and 430....
Get and error message "failed to install"

Any ideas what to do?

Thom

jrb

#49 Post by jrb »

[quote="Get and error message "failed to install""]Get and error message "failed to install"[/quote]
Took me awhile to figure out what you meant. I downloaded SFS_Linker1.3 and tried it, same message. Must have been a bad upload.

Try this one instead, SFS_Linker-1.4-430.pet
Last edited by jrb on Mon 19 Oct 2009, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#50 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: Only three have been difficult and thats OpenOffice, Googleearth and Koffice.
I used the inbuilt converter in 4.3.1RC2 to convert you 3 version of Koffice to 4 .... it seems ok .... what problems did you experience?

Thom