ChoicePup431 - a gnu way

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#61 Post by jrb »

Dingo,
You have to do a full reboot to get xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet to take effect.

jrb

#62 Post by jrb »

Caneri,
Will have a look at scim. Don't have a clue how to test if it works but I'll set it up as listed by kjoe at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=570 and see what happens.

Dingo

#63 Post by Dingo »

jrb wrote:Dingo,
You have to do a full reboot to get xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet to take effect.
I was using from live Cd, I'll create a new pup_save ands re-try again
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

josepinto

SFS for Calibre?

#64 Post by josepinto »

Hi,

Since ChoicePup already has an sfs for FBreader would it be possible to create and test an sfs for Calibre?
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

"calibre is a one stop solution to all your e-book needs. It is free, open source and cross-platform in design and works well on Linux, OS X and Windows. calibre is meant to be a complete e-library solution and thus includes library management, format conversion, news feeds to ebook conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer."

Features:
Library Management
Format conversion (all major ebook formats can be converted from)
Syncing to ebook reader devices
Fetching news from the web and converting it into ebook form
Viewing many different ebook formats
Giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser/email client

It has a lot of dependencies:
Package Minimum Version
python 2.6
Python Imaging Library 1.1.6
libusb 0.1.12
Qt 4.5.1
PyQt 4.5.1
python-mechanize 0.1.11
ImageMagick 6.3.5
xdg-utils 1.0.2
lxml 2.1.5
python-dateutil 1.4.1
BeautifulSoup 3.0.5
dnspython 1.6.0
poppler 0.12.0
podofo 0.7
libwmf 0.2.8

Thanks for your work.

José Pinto

jrb

#65 Post by jrb »

josepinto wrote: would it be possible to create and test an sfs for Calibre?
I will have a look after I work on scim. That is a lot of dependencies.

josepinto

Calibre SFS

#66 Post by josepinto »

Thanks,

Another thing I forgot to point is that Calibre is frequently updated (one week release schedule) and the changes are pretty radical.

So, as some releases may be more stable than other, have no rush in looking into it.

You can follow the development in this forum:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

And the changelog:

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Changelog

José Pinto

Caneri

#67 Post by Caneri »

Hi jrb,
Thanks for the interest in scim and languages support.

It might be a good plan to talk to Irihapeti before you get to far into a scim.sfs in case there is already work done to make it an easier task.

I think a .pet for scim would be around 28mb or less but it's a guess so far from me.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Irihapeti

#68 Post by Irihapeti »

jrb

Thanks for taking an interest in Scim.

I think kjoe may have got slightly carried away and installed more packages than are needed. Either that, or he's seriously multi-lingual. :)

There are instructions on the wiki at http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToSetUpScim, http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GetScimWorkingAfterInstall and http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MakeScimWor ... ndTerminal The latter one also helps solve the problem of non-latin characters displaying as question marks in the terminal and dialog boxes.

One thing we may need to keep in mind is that there are some basic packages and configurations common to all installations, and other packages that will vary according to what language(s) they want to use. The bulkiest stuff is probably the locale files, and I imagine that most people would be using only one of those at a time.

Please feel free to ask questions if you need to. There is certain to be something that hasn't been explained as well as it could be.

Irihapeti

jrb

#69 Post by jrb »

Irihapeti,
I will ask my questions on the Scim thread.

jrb

#70 Post by jrb »

I have just added a summary of what SFS_Linker-431bk-1.0.pet does to the develper notes on page1 of this thread.

seaside

PPLOG

#71 Post by seaside »

Jrb,

I noticed the thorny "403 forbidden" problem which you somehow corrected in the sub 3 Choicepup versions, is reappearing in the Choicepup3 version.

I took a working "ch-min-pplog-1.1.sfs" file, converted it to SFS 4, tried it on Choicepup4.3 and got the "403 forbidden" error. Checked all the permissions and anything else I could think of and nothing seems to work.

I should note that my tests are all on a usb hard drive frugal install.

Any ideas?

Regards,
s

jrb

#72 Post by jrb »

seaside wrote:I noticed the thorny "403 forbidden" problem which you somehow corrected in the sub 3 Choicepup versions, is reappearing
I noticed that too. One of the first things I checked for. :(

Sadly, the way I solved it in ChoicePup412 was to add the ChoicePup options one step at a time to Puppy412 and create a pup_412.sfs and test to make sure it worked. Then I deleted one standard program at a time and tested. When it failed to work I went back a step and deleted something else, eventually ending up with a package that worked.

This is on my list of things to do with Puppy431 but I'm currently overextended on several other projects, on and off computer. Hoping to get on it in another couple of weeks.

Sorry, J

sunburnt

#73 Post by sunburnt »

jrb; Just a suggestion that I`ll be repeating all over the forum...
Start developing with Dpup, I really think it`s Puppy`s future.
One of the few Puppies with a solid base and a gazillion apps.!
I and others have had problems with most of the 4xx Puppies...

Dpup is not problem free, but it stands a very good chance.
It doesn`t have dselect or Synaptic package managers working yet,
but mount-only SFS files are the new package, so it doesn`t matter!
We need a ".deb package" to "SFS mount-only package" converter.
Focusing on Debian and it`s packages makes development easier.

Looking toward a truly solid, new and better direction for Puppy.

Jorty

Chocepup430

#74 Post by Jorty »

Hi

I tried to download Choicepup .iso via the links provided but end up with a pop up window requiring login ??

what should I do ?

Caneri

#75 Post by Caneri »

user=puppy
password=linux

Most Puppy repos use this if they have a login.
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

jrb

#76 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded SFS_Linker-431bk-1.1.pet

This one creates a new loop if needed. I have had up to 30 SFS's installed at once. It creates new loops when you want to simply mount an SFS as well. I have had up to 50 SFS's mounted at one time. Doesn't seem to be any limit although common sense says there must be. :wink: Does away with having to put

Code: Select all

max_loop=28
in the config file or kernel line. Just uninstall 1.0 (if installed), install 1.1, reboot and use.

musher0

Serious concern

#77 Post by musher0 »

Dear Mr. jrb,

Subject: Serious concern

Please be made aware that your default* scripts at the /usr/local/bin location in your recent SFS-Filers pets, v. 1.0 and 1.1, overwrite dpups original scripts at that same location and for example, make linking a jpg picture to mtpaint useless in dpup.

I have provided proof at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 989#359989

(It's page 35 of that thread. My initial reporting of this unwarranted change is on page 24 of that thread, I believe.)

If you could kindly remedy the situation at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated by all who use your otherwise very useful linking system. The installation of those files no doubt will create a disturbance on systems other than dpup also.

When it initially happened after installing your first pet, I thought that my computer had been hacked into.

Best regards,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

jrb

#78 Post by jrb »

musher0,
Sorry to hear that this is causing a problem for you.
My initial reporting of this unwarranted change is on page 24 of that thread
You may notice that this .pet is called "SFS_Linker-431bk-1.1.pet". I think that's a pretty good indication that it was designed to be used in Puppy431 the original Barry Kauler edition.

If you would like me to have a look at dpup and see about modifying the .pet could you give a link to the latest download? I see there is one on page1 of the thread. Is this the latest?

I have no idea how Mime-types are set up in dpup. Are they still in /root/Choices/MIME-types? If so you should be able to set the jpeg opening program there.

Again I am unaware of how dpup handles the OpenWith menu but you should also be able to link mtpaint to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/ and use right click/OpenWith to open .jpeg's with mtpaint.

Hope that helps. Look forward to your reply, J

musher0

#79 Post by musher0 »

Hello, jrb.

Thanks for getting back to me.

You're more than welcome to explore dpup. Yes, you'll find the latest version of dpup at the URL address mentioned in the first post of the thread. The current version is dpup 482 beta 4 as I am writing these lines.

I probably got confused because somewhere in your thread someone mentioned that your new linking system could be applied to some other puppies.

As to how the MIME-types, etc., are set up in d-pup, how different they are from a regular Puppy, may I suggest that you ask dposil, the "benevolent dictator" of dpup. I couldn't provide you with a qualified answer, since I'm only a "tester'.

Your SFS-Linker 431 version 1.1 works well in dpup, once one knows that when using the current SFS linker in dpup, the default* scripts in /usr/local/bin have to be changed back to the dpup ones. Maybe just a note to that effect would be enough.

Sincerely,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

jrb

#80 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded SFS_Linker-no_def-1.1.pet which does not have modified /usr/local/defaultprograms for people who wish to have SFS_Linking without changing the desktop icon or MIME-type behavior.

Musher0,
I haven't had time to look at dpup so I just deleted the modified defaultprograms from /usr/local/bin.

Hope that does the job for you, J