Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 18:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 18 of 21 [303 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
mama21mama

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr 2010, 22:58    Post subject:  no x  

Quote:
FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/modules.dep: no such file or directory.

my problem
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr 2010, 16:58    Post subject: Re: modem_fix_pack_delta_5_to_6.pet
Subject description: Re-uploaded to fix the pinstall script

To the first two downloaders of the delta 5-to-6 package posted here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=408355#408355

Please re-download the package, uninstall the previous package, and reinstall the newer one. This will clean out now-obsolete udev rules files that might interfere with usb-wireless-modem mode switching.
Richard
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr 2010, 22:53    Post subject: Separate package for usb_modeswitch binary posted  

Barry,
Thanks for taking my latest modem update. In response to your statement that you excluded the usb_modeswitch binary, which is inside the modem-fix package, I have attached a separate package, usb-modeswitch-1.1.1.pet, to the message containing those latest updates.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=388235#388235

The fix-pack copy is the binary supplied with the source package, whereas the separate version was complied in puppy. Although the sizes differ (32K vs. 36K), the separate (36K) one seems to work as well as the other.

Keep in mind that I can test only with an ordinary flash drive, so cannot verify that mode switching still works. And I have seen no feedback either way! Apparently we have to build the changes into something and let users stumble into any bugs. I prefer to test as thoroughly as possible beforehand, but must rely on those with the modems to report their experiences with the new version of usb_modeswitch.

Anyway, without the binary, mode switching will fail, because the old (1.0.2) version does not handle the new configuration database that improves automated detection -- and won't have the old rules to work with.

Users who have already installed the two packages need not install the new one, but no harm would be done if the "1.1.1" package replaces the other version.

BTW: A version 1.1.2 is being worked on by the developer. But it seems to be taking a while to get released. I will provide it and related updates soon after they are released.

Another BTW: The usb_modeswitch product includes a script written in tcl, which standard puppies do not support. I have replicated that script with a bash script. However, if tcl is installed (find "tcl . . ." in package installer) the tcl script will be used instead. That provides a workaround if you encounter a problem with the bash imitation.
Richard
mama21mama

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr 2010, 14:32    Post subject: kernel/drivers error  

Quote:
Apr 20 14:52:28 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting lp (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Apr 20 14:52:28 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/parport/parport.ko': No such file or directory
Apr 20 14:52:28 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting lp (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

paste
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Reaperz

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr 2010, 11:15    Post subject:  

Any one ever get this message?

"Intel chipset detected. However, 915resolution was unable to determine the chip set type."

After running the Everest utility in Windows, this is what it found for the chipset:
North Bridge - Intel Whitney i810
South Bridge - Intel 82801AA
mama21mama

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr 2010, 12:30    Post subject: Re Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions  

always receive the message.

:s
PANZERKOPF

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr 2010, 16:54    Post subject:  

mama21mama wrote:
Quote:
FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/modules.dep: no such file or directory.

my problem

Possibly You have an incorrect "modules.dep" file. Run "depmod".

Reaperz wrote:
Any one ever get this message?
"Intel chipset detected. However, 915resolution was unable to determine the chip set type."
After running the Everest utility in Windows, this is what it found for the chipset:
North Bridge - Intel Whitney i810
South Bridge - Intel 82801AA

If screen resolution is correct, ignore this message or delete "/etc/resolutionfix"
file.

PANZERKOPF

PostPosted: Fri 14 May 2010, 18:16    Post subject:  

Yet one bug in /etc/rc.d/rc.update script at line 235:
xmesssage "Dependencies may be missing..................etc..."
____^^^ xmessage with 3 "s"-es

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 14 May 2010, 21:27    Post subject:  

PANZERKOPF wrote:
Yet one bug in /etc/rc.d/rc.update script at line 235:
xmesssage "Dependencies may be missing..................etc..."
____^^^ xmessage with 3 "s"-es

That bug is still there in the latest Woof! Have now fixed it, so fix will be in Quirky 1.1.

rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 16 May 2010, 23:26    Post subject: Modem support for Qualcom, Texas Instrument, and IPwireless  

I have now added a supplemental package (modem_ti_qc_ipwi_updates-6.1.pet) in an attempt to support all of the modems (actually, their driver modules) using the ttyUSBn device name that I know of. If you know I have missed one, please tell me. The dotpet is with the others that upgrade modem support, on page 16, here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=388235#388235

The support for the IPWireless PCMCIA modems has been using the wrong device name, but I have corrected that, to ttyIPWp0, etc.

I need the hear from anyone trying those modem types with pupdial, so I can know whether further attention is needed to make them work. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
Richard
scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 22 May 2010, 01:42    Post subject: usb power turned off??? and goes to <prompt>  

Just had a problem with a full install 4.3.1

The usb power has turned itself off after a crash (brownout)
fsck came up ok except for the usual blocks errors

you start the pc, it's all ok
boot into the one partition, mouse light goes off, usb probing runs and it just stops at the <prompt> #
I can manually start xwin ok and with the direct kbd/mouse all works

shutdown and reboot
it all starts again (like in a loop)

any sugestions folks before I blow it all away

thanks
scsijon

topic : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=260963#260963
seems to relate

Last edited by scsijon on Sat 05 Jun 2010, 21:55; edited 1 time in total
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 23 May 2010, 18:17    Post subject:  

Have you tried removing the flag file in /tmp? IIRC it is named /tmp/bootcnt.txt.

scsijon

PostPosted: Sun 23 May 2010, 21:55    Post subject:  

?if your talking to me pizzasgood, then no, and it's a zero length file created when I just booted up, will give it a go though.

i've just found I can have a full and frugal install on the one partition and am using that to run with (2 grub entries though)

thanks
scsijon
PANZERKOPF

PostPosted: Thu 27 May 2010, 14:06    Post subject:  

Yet one ounce about rc.update :
There are string (in checking procedure) which calls "/usr/local/petget/findinstalledpkgs.sh"
Puppy 4.3.1 hasn't such a file.
Also the xmessage cannot work (even after correcting), says "cannot open display 0:0". A possible reason of that behaviour is chrooted environment, under which this script is running.

scsijon

PostPosted: Fri 28 May 2010, 05:05    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
?if your talking to me pizzasgood, then no, and it's a zero length file created when I just booted up, will give it a go though.

that didn't work, eventually backed up all of root, had a list of what I had added (each machine and partition I have has their own record) so reformatted. I had to change & format to ext3 and back to ext2 for it to let me use the partition so something must have corrupted somewhere in the partition settings or the partition itself.

Reinstalled from scratch and everything came ok, copied root back, all is ok (so far).

scsijon
Page 18 of 21 [303 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: