Please post any bugs you have found
trio

Re: 4.3.1 arrived, ..but

#61 Post by trio »

scsijon wrote: Problem 3 - not solved
Copied other .sfs from cd to /mnt/home as listed to use
Started Puppy Setup
Picked Bootmanager to add them to the startup

error: Sorry there are no SFS files in directory /mnt/home (or they all have the wrong *_nnn.sfs version number. You will need to download and place one there first.

Checked location, ok
copied to same place with shortened name _431.sfs
checked permissions, ok

still same error

help please.
scsijon
Maybe your sfs version is not compatible...use:
Menu -> Utility -> SFS convert
It will convert sfs version 4 to 3 and the other way around

scsijon

#62 Post by scsijon »

sorry trio, but it came on the disc from barry, don't think he's behind it yet!

Iguleder

#63 Post by Iguleder »

I noticed some weird bug with xvesa. On a live session with xvesa, I chose the xvesa option and my screen went black and the "digital-analog" thingy appeared, no response. I noticed this freeze several times.

I use a nVidia 7300 (without modules in this case) and a Samsung 19' screen.

vtpup

#64 Post by vtpup »

scsijon wrote:sorry trio, but it came on the disc from barry, don't think he's behind it yet!
They need the s4s.sfs in the name.extension, check for that. Could be a mistake in making the cd where the wrong (non s4s) sfs files were packaged. If so, just convert them as suggested earlier. On the other hand, if they do already have the additional s4s tag in the name, you're good to go.

Also in the bootmanager sfs screen, if you can't see the s4s.sfs files in the left panel, try checking or unchecking the little box on the lower left which specifies the type of names that are acceptable, (I can't remember what it says exactly in 431, as I'm not on it right now). Then close and re-start the bootmanager. Or you may actually need to reboot to see the sfs files in bootmanager -- again, I'm not on 431 at the moment , so can't tell you which procedure works.

Getting that little checkbox right will allow the s4s sfs files to appear in the left window so you can add them to the right window. Be sure the s4s sfs files ARE actually present in /mnt/home. Otherwise they won't be available to you to add to the bootmanager list at all. This little checkbox has been a feature of 4.x series bootmanagers for a long time, so this setting has often been a point of confusion.

More procedural help like this should be available in the regular assistance forums -- don't want to get too far afield from just reporting 431 bugs and suggestions here.

vtpup

Re: 4.3.1 arrived, ..but

#65 Post by vtpup »

scsijon wrote:cd arrived from barry

problem 4 - not solved
how do I set the "modem speaker volume" without changing the whole volume?

scsijon
go to wizard wizard, the networking section, the modem section, set up your modem, then put the right volume commands in for your specific modem from its owner's manual.
google:
site:www.murga-linux.com modem mute
or google:
site:www.murga-linux.com modem silent
etc.
better yet, scroogle them. (www.scroogle.org)

rerwin

modem volume/mute control

#66 Post by rerwin »

scsijon,
how do I set the "modem speaker volume" without changing the whole volume?
To save you some trouble, here is what I know about controlling the modem sound. There are 2 "AT" commands available for addition to the modem initialization string in pupdial.
Ln Controls speaker volume (internals only).
L0 Low volume
L1 Low volume
L2 Medium volume
L3 High volume

Mn Operates speaker.
M0 Speaker always OFF.
M1 Speaker ON until CONNECT.
M2 Speaker always ON.
M3 Speaker ON after dial, until CONNECT.
Choose whichever is appropriate and append it the pupdial's "Initialisation string 3", which I have as:
ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2S11=55+FCLASS=0
In my case, to kill the sound altogether, I would use:
ATM0Q0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2S11=55+FCLASS=0

EDIT: I have tested this successfully, but find that the "M0" cannot go at the end of the string. I expect it can go anywhere before the "S0=", at least it works for me. So I suggest just putting it after the "AT", since it works.
Richard

auriza

#67 Post by auriza »

Bruce_n_Duane

Found Bug in Pwireless

#68 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Hi -- Great work everyone on Puppy 4.3.1!!!!!!

Was looking at /usr/sbin/Pwireless to see how it works

found a miss commented line at 572
was

i#wconfig $DEVICE nickname default

should be
#iwconfig $DEVICE nickname default

the comment character is in the wrong place.

-Bruce.

mawebb88

Re: Found Bug in Pwireless

#69 Post by mawebb88 »

Bruce_n_Duane wrote:Hi -- Great work everyone on Puppy 4.3.1!!!!!!

Was looking at /usr/sbin/Pwireless to see how it works

found a miss commented line at 572
was

i#wconfig $DEVICE nickname default

should be
#iwconfig $DEVICE nickname default

the comment character is in the wrong place.

-Bruce.
Good spot. I have corrected mine.
Rgds Mike

Sage

#70 Post by Sage »

PaulBx1 :

Pudd from 4.3.1 final

Thanks for your interest.

PaulBx1

#71 Post by PaulBx1 »

Pudd works differently on my machine. I ask it to back up /dev/sda1 and it selects "/dev/sda1 /dev/sda12", the latter being an OpenBSD internal partition (I'm surprised it can see it - gparted can't). When the copy takes place, the image file is only 20 bytes long.

I wonder if anyone uses Pudd? Never tried it before.

dogle

#72 Post by dogle »

Jens reported this bug in the 431 release candidate (Abiword crashes on attempt to select Format=>Create and Modify Styles)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=46

Confirmed in the final; a quick peek at the Abisuite bugtracker just tells me I'm out out of my depth in there i.e. I'm still not sure whether it's Abi-specific or a build issue.

Although it is easy enough for the savvy to workaround by editing the normal.awt file manually, this bug is quite vexing and could be a serious turnoff for our non-savvy refugees.

davec51

Puppy 4.3.1 No Media Player

#73 Post by davec51 »

For some reason I can't access a media player or play any videos with my frugal install of 431. Clicking on a video clip, clicking on the icon in the menu, or clicking on the program in ROX all result in no response at all. I can play videos with another frugal installation of Puppy (dpup), and I haven't had this problem with numerous other versions of Puppy. I have tried installing all the players available in the package manager, with no positive results. This is annoying.

rjbrewer

#74 Post by rjbrewer »

PaulBx1 wrote:Pudd works differently on my machine. I ask it to back up /dev/sda1 and it selects "/dev/sda1 /dev/sda12", the latter being an OpenBSD internal partition (I'm surprised it can see it - gparted can't). When the copy takes place, the image file is only 20 bytes long.

I wonder if anyone uses Pudd? Never tried it before.
I've used pudd on numerous occasions without problem.
Things are different with 4.31.
Gparted in 4.31 makes partitions with 256 inodes; these partitions
can't be seen by earlier versions of gparted.
While I was able to get 4 different pups on 2 drives to boot by
changing grub on mbr to the 4.31 version; and pudd seems to
be working; I'm still struggling trying to make sense out of what
gparted is saying.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

fyujj

#75 Post by fyujj »

Thank you for Puppy and for featuring the br-abnt2 keymap. Also, sorry for reporting this somewhat late.

Choosing br-abnt2 for the keyboard map at the first boot works perfectly with Xvesa but there's a little problem when one chooses Xorg. In this case xorg.conf is set like this:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "br" #xkeymap0
EndSection
which doesn't work. The correct setting is:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "abnt2"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "br" #xkeymap0
EndSection

capoverde

Epdf browser call

#76 Post by capoverde »

Clicking on a web link in documents viewed with Epdf nothing happens: it's because the default setting for the external browser call (see menu Edit-->Preferences) is "firefox %s". Newbies will find this frustrating, critics will snort at Puppy... Should be set to "defaultbrowser %s" or "mozilla %s"; or perhaps "PuppyBrowser %s" (capitals needed) for an even faster response.

Timmi

Wireless doesn't connect if use WPA

#77 Post by Timmi »

With my Centrino core2duo Toshiba, I have what is the most common intel wireless card built in.

When I run Puppy off the live CD, it detects wireless networks, so I know the card is working. I tried different options there, to no avail.

But when I select my wireless network (dsl router name), and go to WPA, and enter the password, it will not connect.

I am wondering if it is converting to allcaps or something (as it is converting the ssid to allcaps).

Sorry for the duplicate post: there was a database error, it brought me back to the edit screen, I clicked submit, and there were two posts instead of one.
Last edited by Timmi on Wed 28 Oct 2009, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Timmi

Wireless doesn't connect if use WPA encryption

#78 Post by Timmi »

With my Centrino core2duo Toshiba, I have one of the most common intel wireless card built in... lspci reports that it is an "Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 (ABG)".

When I run Puppy off the live CD, it detects wireless networks, so I know the card is working. And my NIC works fine in lots of otehr distributions (I've tried over a dozen and all work out of the box).

In Puppy, when I select my wireless network (dsl router name), and go to WPA, and enter the password, it will not connect. I've tried different options there, to no avail. I use a mix of lowercase, uppercase, and numbers (and I'm hoping it doesn't run a routine to covert all to lowercase, as it is converting the ssid to allcaps).

Apparently, there is a fix that only stays active until before the next reboot, regarding wpa_supplicant. Is this something that could be integrated and run automatically, when Puppy starts? As it seems to resolve the problem for those who have it... in Puppy and in some other distributions as well. And it wouldn't have to wait until the next release... this could be implemented rather quickly.
Last edited by Timmi on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

dawg

#79 Post by dawg »

I think I've found a bug in the You2pup downloader:
if the vid ID contains a dash at the beginning, it won't even try to download.
(e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=-sulDYYAiCU )

EDIT: reported also in the app's thread.
Last edited by dawg on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

steve_s

#80 Post by steve_s »

I would like to suggest that Barry keep doing what he is doing; Puppy rocks and I can't say enough good things about it and all the work that Barry has put into it. Thanks for all you do.

Ok, that is probably not the type of suggestion that is supposed to go in this thread...oh, well. 8)