Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
capoverde

Epdf browser call

#76 Post by capoverde »

Clicking on a web link in documents viewed with Epdf nothing happens: it's because the default setting for the external browser call (see menu Edit-->Preferences) is "firefox %s". Newbies will find this frustrating, critics will snort at Puppy... Should be set to "defaultbrowser %s" or "mozilla %s"; or perhaps "PuppyBrowser %s" (capitals needed) for an even faster response.

Timmi

Wireless doesn't connect if use WPA

#77 Post by Timmi »

With my Centrino core2duo Toshiba, I have what is the most common intel wireless card built in.

When I run Puppy off the live CD, it detects wireless networks, so I know the card is working. I tried different options there, to no avail.

But when I select my wireless network (dsl router name), and go to WPA, and enter the password, it will not connect.

I am wondering if it is converting to allcaps or something (as it is converting the ssid to allcaps).

Sorry for the duplicate post: there was a database error, it brought me back to the edit screen, I clicked submit, and there were two posts instead of one.
Last edited by Timmi on Wed 28 Oct 2009, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Timmi

Wireless doesn't connect if use WPA encryption

#78 Post by Timmi »

With my Centrino core2duo Toshiba, I have one of the most common intel wireless card built in... lspci reports that it is an "Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 (ABG)".

When I run Puppy off the live CD, it detects wireless networks, so I know the card is working. And my NIC works fine in lots of otehr distributions (I've tried over a dozen and all work out of the box).

In Puppy, when I select my wireless network (dsl router name), and go to WPA, and enter the password, it will not connect. I've tried different options there, to no avail. I use a mix of lowercase, uppercase, and numbers (and I'm hoping it doesn't run a routine to covert all to lowercase, as it is converting the ssid to allcaps).

Apparently, there is a fix that only stays active until before the next reboot, regarding wpa_supplicant. Is this something that could be integrated and run automatically, when Puppy starts? As it seems to resolve the problem for those who have it... in Puppy and in some other distributions as well. And it wouldn't have to wait until the next release... this could be implemented rather quickly.
Last edited by Timmi on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

dawg

#79 Post by dawg »

I think I've found a bug in the You2pup downloader:
if the vid ID contains a dash at the beginning, it won't even try to download.
(e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=-sulDYYAiCU )

EDIT: reported also in the app's thread.
Last edited by dawg on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

steve_s

#80 Post by steve_s »

I would like to suggest that Barry keep doing what he is doing; Puppy rocks and I can't say enough good things about it and all the work that Barry has put into it. Thanks for all you do.

Ok, that is probably not the type of suggestion that is supposed to go in this thread...oh, well. 8)

stiginge

Streaming video

#81 Post by stiginge »

Currently trying to watch a live tv feed http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?clipSRC=LiveBTV which causes ff 354 to crash in puppy 431. I've gone to http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Gxine for help, but where are those codec files in package manager??

rameshiyer

Puppy 4.31.

#82 Post by rameshiyer »

While I am working in Puppy 4.31, power to PC suddenly goes. When I tried to boot again after power supply restored, the PC showing some test parameter on the monitor and the system comes to command prompt and not booting. Also system is not taking any commands in this prompt. I have Harddisk installation (sda 8 ext4 partition ) with dual boot. Likewise, if any simple commands applied to puppy terminal, the system hangs and not able to boot again. Kindly help me to restore my PC as I have already installed lot of things in it. Is it required to reinstall the Puppy OS again.

rameshiyer

Puppy 4.31.

#83 Post by rameshiyer »

While I am working in Puppy 4.31, power to PC suddenly goes. When I tried to boot again after power supply restored, the PC showing some test parameter on the monitor and the system comes to command prompt and not booting. Also system is not taking any commands in this prompt. I have Harddisk installation (sda 8 ext4 partition ) with dual boot. Likewise, if any simple commands applied to puppy terminal, the system hangs and not able to boot again. Kindly help me to restore my PC as I have already installed lot of things in it. Is it required to reinstall the Puppy OS again.

alienjeff

#84 Post by alienjeff »

rameshiyer:

Boot from the live CD with boot parameter "puppy pfix=ram"

Run e2fsck on your Puppy partition(s)

Try rebooting from HD
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Pizzasgood

#85 Post by Pizzasgood »

The xorgwizard screws up xorg.conf if Xorg detects that the user can have more than one screen. It leaves the line in the Server section that refers to the second screen, but does not bother to create a section for that second screen, rendering Xorg unrunnable.

This is pretty easy to fix. I already posted one back in the 4.1.x thread, and updated it in the 4.2.x threads.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 607#256607
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 022#287022

One more change needs to be made to prevent that second change from interfering with the first. In the first one, the # should be removed from inside the grep. Without doing that, Xorg will still start just fine because the additional lines in the Server section will be commented out, but xorgwizard won't bother to create the additional Screen sections. It doesn't hurt to fix it so that it does create them, and that way somebody like me who actually wants to use them just has to uncomment the appropriate line in the Server section, and not have to also create the Screen section.

So, attached are the final patched version of xorgwizard for 4.3.1 and also the patch itself. Don't forget to set the xorgwizard script executable if you grab it from this attachment (gzip does not preserve permissions, so it may not be executable when you download and extract it).
Attachments
xorgwizard.gz
(16.99 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
xorgwizard.diff.gz
(733 Bytes) Downloaded 545 times
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

tubby

streaming

#86 Post by tubby »

@stiginge, download mplayer browser plugin and codecs from package manager, if you have no script installed make sure it does not block the stream.
It works fine for me in FF3.5.4

laserman

#87 Post by laserman »

When booting up, I get:

-sh: setenv: command not found.

It doesn't seem to affect the overall operation but was noted during boot up.

After booting up, opening the console, I get:

bash: setenv: command not found

Posted for the group and noted VTPUP also received the same error previously.

Best Regards,
John

Bruce_n_Duane

USB Drive goes to sleep

#88 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Duane has a special made laptop with dual-core 64 bit intel processor

Running Barry's Puppy 4.3.1 with nosmp in boot parameter
Frugal install on a 4 GB USB flash drive in /dev/sdb1
Laptop has 2 GB of ram.

Hard drives of laptop are not used and not mounted.

Xpup set with screensaver NOT enabled and time=0.

Problem:
If the laptop is left on for 1+ hours without activitiy the connection to the USB Flash sdb1 icon disappears, the time stops.

We can move the mouse and it responds. The keyboard works.
But nothing gets saved when we reboot the computer. It just
shutsdown immediately. This shutdown is equal to pulling the plug. On reboot it asks about a sudden shutdown of Xorg.

Why does the Puppy Drive disappear and time stop?

On reboot we had to reset the time and date. The day was one day ahead and the time was 4 hours behind. We are at USA Pacific time which is -8 GMT and now in Pacific Standard Time.

Thanks for looking at this.
-Bruce and Duane.

vtpup

#89 Post by vtpup »

laserman wrote:When booting up, I get:

-sh: setenv: command not found.

It doesn't seem to affect the overall operation but was noted during boot up.

After booting up, opening the console, I get:

bash: setenv: command not found

Posted for the group and noted VTPUP also received the same error previously.

Best Regards,
John
A c shell script somewhere is being attempted by bash. Possible clues to where if you do a pfind for *.csh. Check to see if any of these are in some kind of startup folder or associated with the app startup that you experience it in.

dawg

Re: 431 Final Observations

#90 Post by dawg »

I'd like to report that enabling SMP solved my slow-mo mouse problem described/reported here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=88

I've discovered this due to some coincidental help from the newest Mandriva 2010 which had the same problem after I had "accidentally" disabled SMP in it :)

r__hughes

Desktop drive-icon pileup with 1024x600 xorg graphics

#91 Post by r__hughes »

I'm sure I read some recent messages concerning persistent pile-up of desktop drive icons at low screen resolutions. I have tried to search for the messages but can't find them. Was there a solution?

I am experiencing this on a Samsung N110 web-book with Xorg and a 1024x600 screen running puppy431 from a bootable flash USB. Whenever I insert additional USB Flash-drives or an external USB DVD RW the icons pile up at the bottom left of the screen. The icons can be drag/dropped to new locations but the problem recurs if the drives are removed then reinserted.

PS I have to use Xorg because Xvesa gives me a reverse colour graphic display.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

dawg

#92 Post by dawg »

I boot my frugal Puppy with Grub.
I try telling Puppy to not load the sfs file into RAM (pfix=noram), but it does so regardless.
Could this be fixed somehow?

Also, I have my frugal pup installed on sda6, and just recently, I've copied it to sda2 and found that, inspite of being told otherwise, pup decided to load itself from there at the next boot.
Out of curiosity, I've also copied it to sda1, and sure enough, it would load itself from there next.
Renaming the folder on sda1/2 helped against this, but I'm not sure is Puppy supposed to be doing this when being frugal-installed on a HDD?

ICPUG

#93 Post by ICPUG »

dawg

I'm not sure I understand your point

What did you copy to sda2 and why do you want to copy it there but not load it from there?

Are you trying to save you pupsave file on a different partition to the sfs file, vmlinuz, initrd.gz?

If so, then it might not easily work in pup 4.3.1.

dawg

#94 Post by dawg »

ICPUG,
I copied the whole puppy folder as it is, in order to use it separately and only when I explicitly want to boot it.
For example, I have 2 entries in Grub's menu.lst, each for its own pup that are each on its own partition, but if their folder names happen to be the same, whichever entry I boot, the kernel does load from where it's supposed to, but then proceeds to loading the sfs (and the save file) from the first partition of the two (or three).

I'm only pointing this out in case it happens to be "undesired behaviour", and also so that more people will know what the problem is and how to solve it if it happens to someone else.

sindi

puppy 4.31 readmefiles.htm errors

#95 Post by sindi »

Change pup-430 to 431 and puppy 3.x to 4.31? The file names for download in special puppies are correct.