dpup-482beta testing

gposil

#46 Post by gposil »

For those that had problems 482SP2 is now downloading properly...

http://dpup.org/test/dpup482beta2-2.6.3 ... .iso.delta

Cheers
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

jasmac

#47 Post by jasmac »

Hello again, I am not sure if this has been covered somewhere, I was not able to find it. To fix the issue with Synaptic and its errors of missing directories, I searched around a bit and found that using the following two commands in a terminal has fixed the problem:

mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archive/partial
mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

After these two I was able to update. I then rebooted to be sure that the change remained and it did. I have also changed the sources.list and was able to update again. I am currently in the process of installing some software through synaptic and will report on how it works out. Hopefully this helps someone.

Cheers

Jason

Edit: Ah well that did not work too well, I assume that I will need the devx installed to successfully install software. Will any 482 devx work or do I need one that matches the beta2 SP2?

gposil

#48 Post by gposil »

Jasmac,
The patch for Synaptic inludes those two directories you created and one other debian package database file but those two you added will work, but will not show you in Synaptic, what is already installed. Yes devx is recommended and the 482beta1 devx is identical to beta2 which I haven't copied over yet, so you can use that. Unless you have the database installed, which I haven't finished yet, you don't get the correct dependency info...which can be a problem...it may try to install a library that is already a later version in dpup. (Dpup's core is Lenny but it uses a lot of Debian Sid code).

Just be careful about overwriting any libraries that are already installed...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Jim1911

#49 Post by Jim1911 »

Success! Sp2 worked and solved the booting problem, installation is fine with amazing stability and speed. Thanks for making numlock on default.

Bad news! Reboot and shutdown, simply restart X. Going to a prompt to reboot also just restarts X. Only way out is a hardware reboot.

One small issue, Clicking on a drive icon and selecting "Unmount all mounted partitions" just brings up Pmount. Each partition has to be unmounted separately.

Now, to give Synaptic a workout,but another problem, I can't locate the Synaptic patch and jasmac's fix didn't work. Still can't update.

I'll wait until the next update to test further, the hard reboot broke the installation.

Thanks,
Jim

gposil

482beta3 News

#50 Post by gposil »

I'm releasing 482beta3 in about an hour...it contains more bug fixes and the new shutdown routine...hopefully should fix the major problems.

I think it's getting close to time for some fat reduction on dpup...so could all you guys come up with what we want to keep and what we want to ditch...I'm not convinced that it has to be 100-105Mb like Barry's release, but I will be guided by your opinions.

Cheers
Guy

Jim1911

#51 Post by Jim1911 »

Good news, I downloaded and installed a full hd using sp2 iso and it does not have the reboot problem. Before I was using the sp2 produced with the delta update.

I'll wipe this installation and install your latest bugfix when it's up.

Thanks,
Jim

clarf

#52 Post by clarf »

Hi gposil,

I want to report a little problem with the locale settings view, the description for all the es_xx data is wrong.

It says: es_AR: Mexican, Argentina; es_CO: Mexican, Columbia and so on. It´s wrong in Latin-America, Spain and other countries we speak "Spanish", then the correct description is es_AR: Spanish, Argentina.

Only people from Mexico speaks "Mexican".

Thank your for the attention pleased,
clarf.
Attachments
es_error_locale_settings.jpg
Wrong locale description for all es_xx
(137.81 KiB) Downloaded 590 times

clarf

#53 Post by clarf »

About cutting off the fat in dpup.

I want to request the inclusion of tighvnc to the Network utilities Menu, It´s a basic Administrative tool that should be included for importance and small size. I think its package sieze is even smaller the actual VPN client included in dpup, also tightvnc as their name indicates use compressed connections that are lighter/tighter than conventional VNC connections.

I use Debian distributions mainly for old Server and it´s a basic tool that should be included in any Debian base, including this one.

Please, consider my request. The latest version is 1.3.10.

http://www.tightvnc.com/

Greetings,
clarf
Last edited by clarf on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

sinc

#54 Post by sinc »

clarf, believe it or not in mexico they speak spanish also. Image

gposil, i understand the request to have num lock automatically on b/c keyboards with number pads need it on but my laptop does not have a seperate number pad and so when numlock is on it uses my letter keys for numbers. is there any chance of making that a setup switch? thanks.

James C

#55 Post by James C »

I was finally able to get a full install with 482 Beta 3. Now for some tweaking and testing.....

gposil, thanks again for all of your hard work.

DaveS

#56 Post by DaveS »

482 b2 is really nice, but I predict people being confused by the CUPS thing. Firefox works really nicely and accepts updates, though there is the odd very tiny bug in the display rendering.
Pwidgets works fine with it, ttcorefonts also. Hpliplite package works. Open Office is fine and quite snappy though fonts display a little light in weight. Very clear though.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#57 Post by James C »

Been running 482 Beta 3 off and on all day and no real problems have reared their ugly heads yet. Everything is good so far. :)

eztuxer

#58 Post by eztuxer »

Installed beta 3 on USB key and running on AAO netbook.
Great mouse and wifi support.
Problem: I cant turn off numlock (F11) not responding.
Also minor issue: Mplayer runs fine from the menu, but not form desktop icon.
So far, fast and stable, keep on the good job.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

clarf

#59 Post by clarf »

sinc wrote:clarf, believe it or not in mexico they speak spanish also. Image
:lol: , I know sinc, should explained better myself...
DaveS wrote: Firefox works really nicely and accepts updates, though there is the odd very tiny bug in the display rendering.
Didn't notice any display rendering. Could you give more details please?.

DaveS

#60 Post by DaveS »

Here is the correct display fro Puppies 4.3

This from dpup

See the kind of bright slightly ragged area under personal toolbar?

Hard to see at this res.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

clarf

#61 Post by clarf »

DaveS wrote:This from dpup

Hard to see at this res.
Hmmm, I see...

I don't have that problem, could be a FireFox theme related problem?. Very rear, do you have same problem with another resolution or color depth?

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

clarf wrote:
DaveS wrote:This from dpup

Hard to see at this res.
Hmmm, I see...

I don't have that problem, could be a FireFox theme related problem?. Very rear, do you have same problem with another resolution or color depth?
My guess is its theme related. All other display items are fine. Slight GTK mis-match?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#63 Post by Jim1911 »

Using full install of 482sp3 on an ext4 partition. Impressive speed and stability.

Have tried Synaptic which will not work for me. Regardless of package selected to install, after the download and as soon as package installation starts, I get an error "Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on libc6".

Another problem, when adding other repositories and their known good public key, I keep getting a notice that the Public key is not available.

Question, shouldn't the partition the full hd installation is on be mounted and remain mounted?

Good news for kde 3.5 enthusiasts, ppm installed kde 3.5.9 from the debian lenny repositories which appears to be working fine. It start normally by exiting to the prompt and entering "xwin startkde". However, the kde installation broke the reboot/shutdown code even when you go back to jdm, therefore, I need to wipe the installation and reinstall.

Thanks,
Jim

James C

#64 Post by James C »

AFAIK, there should be a Synaptic patch being released soon. I ran into the same problems with 477 so I'll wait for the fix...... :)

gposil

#65 Post by gposil »

Yes, i'll have the fixed Synaptic up soon, just finishing off the base install database...please be patient, it is a big job.

If you want to keep Firefox in theme with dpup's own theme, I suggest you get Chromifox Basic from the Firefox theme download area...this Firefox Theme will be the default on the next release.

Cheers
Attachments
ffchrome.jpg
New default FF theme
(42.62 KiB) Downloaded 794 times