Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 06:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
dpup-482beta testing
Moderators: BarryK, Lobster
Page 5 of 63 [938 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 61, 62, 63 Next
clarf

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct 2009, 11:06    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
This from dpup

See the kind of bright slightly ragged area under personal toolbar?

Hard to see at this res.

Hmmm, I see...

I don't have that problem, could be a FireFox theme related problem?. Very rear, do you have same problem with another resolution or color depth?
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct 2009, 11:11    Post subject:  

clarf wrote:
DaveS wrote:
This from dpup

See the kind of bright slightly ragged area under personal toolbar?

Hard to see at this res.

Hmmm, I see...

I don't have that problem, could be a FireFox theme related problem?. Very rear, do you have same problem with another resolution or color depth?

My guess is its theme related. All other display items are fine. Slight GTK mis-match?

Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct 2009, 18:38    Post subject:
Subject description: Synaptic doesn't work

Using full install of 482sp3 on an ext4 partition. Impressive speed and stability.

Have tried Synaptic which will not work for me. Regardless of package selected to install, after the download and as soon as package installation starts, I get an error "Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on libc6".

Another problem, when adding other repositories and their known good public key, I keep getting a notice that the Public key is not available.

Question, shouldn't the partition the full hd installation is on be mounted and remain mounted?

Good news for kde 3.5 enthusiasts, ppm installed kde 3.5.9 from the debian lenny repositories which appears to be working fine. It start normally by exiting to the prompt and entering "xwin startkde". However, the kde installation broke the reboot/shutdown code even when you go back to jdm, therefore, I need to wipe the installation and reinstall.

Thanks,
Jim
James C

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct 2009, 20:58    Post subject:  

AFAIK, there should be a Synaptic patch being released soon. I ran into the same problems with 477 so I'll wait for the fix...... Smile
gposil

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct 2009, 21:36    Post subject:  

Yes, i'll have the fixed Synaptic up soon, just finishing off the base install database...please be patient, it is a big job.

If you want to keep Firefox in theme with dpup's own theme, I suggest you get Chromifox Basic from the Firefox theme download area...this Firefox Theme will be the default on the next release.

Cheers
ffchrome.jpg
Description  New default FF theme
jpg

Download 
Filename  ffchrome.jpg 
Filesize  42.62 KB 
Downloaded  519 Time(s) 

James C

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 00:19    Post subject:  

I installed one of the best time-wasting applications of all time to 482 Beta 3......Gweled.

Clicked on the menu entry........no good. Used the terminal......no good. PPM had made a new directory at /usr/games/, moved contents to /usr/local/bin/ and Gweled launches from the menu.

Otherwise everything working well.
gposil

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 01:00    Post subject:  

With Debian games, all you have to do is change /usr/share/applications/ desktop file, to reflect that the executable is in /usr/games.

e.g.

Original:

Quote:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Gweled
Comment=A "Diamond Mine" for Gnome
Exec=gweled
Icon=gweled.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;Application;Game;
StartupNotify=true

Fixed:

Quote:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Gweled
Comment=A "Diamond Mine" for Gnome
Exec=/usr/games/gweled
Icon=gweled.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;Application;Game;
StartupNotify=true

The other thing I will do for the next release is add the /usr/games directory to dpup's search path and then it will work out of the box.

Cheers

James C

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 01:10    Post subject:  

My solution worked but yours is much neater, much to learn..... Smile

Now to go fix it the right way. Laughing
James C

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 01:17    Post subject:  

Done. Thanks. Smile
jobot

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 10:44    Post subject: dpup-482 beta3
Subject description: Locale country settings

I notice that in the country settings "af_ZA:Africaans, South Africa" "Afrikaans" is wrongly spelled. Should be af_ZA:Afrikaans, South Africa.
Running dpup-482 beta3 full install since yesterday. No major problems so far.
shankargopal

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 13:12    Post subject:  

Running dpup 482 beta 3 just now, enjoying the great speed and flexibility... thanks a lot to gposil and everyone else!

Just had one question. Gposil had mentioned that a full install is recommended when using apt-get / Synaptic. I run my Puppy from a flash drive, for which full installs are quite complex, and, since there probably have been changes in the init scripts in dpup, might involve a fair degree of coding that would be beyond me. I would just forget about apt and stick to PPM, but in 476j I was not able to add some of the repositories I want (see here and here for examples).

So was wondering if the only reason for recommending a full install is that the /var directory is not retained by Puppy in a frugal install (as gposil mentioned somewhere)? If that is the case it would seem it may be possible to 'fix' it by a couple of linking commands in rc.local so that the appropriate directories are symlinked into /var from /usr (or somewhere else) on each bootup. Might that work?
johnmd

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 17:05    Post subject: 482beta3 download problem?  

Hi Everyone
Just tried to download dpup482beta3-2.6.30.5 iso and got only a 132mB file instead of 147 mB and wrong md5 sum - never had this with puppy downloads before - tried burning anyway but cd gave boot error message:

isolinux : disk Error 80 , AX = 4264 , drive 9F

any ideas please, is it just my download problem?

Best wishes, John
James C

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 18:15    Post subject:  

Did you use wget? Downloading through a browser results in broken downloads.

Open a terminal and enter wget -t0 -c http://www.dpup.org/ ( remainder of url).

HTH.
johnmd

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 19:10    Post subject:  

James C
Thanks very much for your prompt reply

No, I didn't use wget - I'd read that instruction but forgotten it again - mea culpa - and did just what you said - used browser and got broken download

BUT the good news is - I repeated browser download before seeing your post and this time fortune smiled - as she does once in a while even on a fool repeating his folly - and it downloaded OK

and what a change from 476 - WOW - network connection and cups setup worked perfectly first time - ditto firefox and mplayer played both music cd and a dvd direct when i clicked on desktop cd/dvd icon - perfect - but when i tried to eject disk using button on mplayer window it took me to a load file window instead - also couldn't start cd from rt click on mplayer window whereas dvd started fine that way - have to think better of mplayer now - in past puppies it seemed xine was the only really reliable media player on my setup [full install on 4 yr old compaq desktop S5020AN]

only one minus so far - click on abiword desktop icon gives momentary flash of gui but then it's gone again - at least in last version gui appeared - even if page set-up dialogue was unavailable and the whole programme closed when I clicked on preferences - BUT it starts ok from terminal and both page set up and preferences now work so maybe it's just the desktop icon link that's giving trouble

So - a big thank you to all who have put so much effort into DPUP - I think you're doing a great job - more power to your arms - wish i knew enough to help
shankargopal

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct 2009, 02:58    Post subject: problem with intel video driver  

Found a problem with the intel video driver... occurs rarely but very weird...

I run my Puppies from a flash drive, most often on two laptops - one a Dell Latitude X1 and the other an Eee PC 701 4G. Both laptops appear to have the same video chipset, which shows up in xorg.conf as "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller". The auto-detected driver is "intel."

Everything starts fine and runs fine for a long time. But on both computers, at some completely random time while I'm trundling away, the screen will suddenly blank. This is not common but has happened about four times, with both 476j and 482 beta 3. After the screen blanks, doing Ctrl-F1 etc. takes me to the normal terminals. If I attempt to restart by typing "xwin" from Ctrl-F1, the "X" mouse pointer shows up, and then the screen blanks again. If I edit xorg.conf and change the driver to vesa, X starts normally and I'm back up and running.

I've run several different Puppies (4.1, 4.1.2, retro, normal) as well as other distros (sidux, Xandros) on these machines and never had this happen before. Seems like something wrong in dpup's intel driver? If it happens again will try to get something out of the logs.

Also, could someone help out with my full install / Synaptic question? Smile want to use dpup as my main workhorse system, I love it, so just want all my bases clear before shifting over...
Page 5 of 63 [938 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 61, 62, 63 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
Jump to: