I screwed up...and then fixed it.

Booting, installing, newbie
bugman

I screwed up...and then fixed it.

#1 Post by bugman »

New Puppy user, new Linux user. So, dumb as bricks. What happened is that the "Open as text" function in the right-click context menu (JWM) seems to have lost its abilities. I think what happened is that I deleted a symbolic link (right term?) to Beaver when I was clearing my desktop. I dragged its icon to the trash; the others I used "Remove" (if memory serves) on. Sorry, but I like a black empty desktop. And now I'm paying for it. How do I fix this? Thanks!

Btw, I really like Puppy, it's the only Linux I've tried that doesn't freeze or crash on my "antique" computer. Puppy runs fast on short legs!

dewdrop

#2 Post by dewdrop »

Hi,

If you haven't got too much time/effort rapped up into your current effort, you might go to the place where your pup001 file is located on the hard drive....usually the C: drive.... Then, rename that to something else...so it will not be lost.

Then re-boot puppy again from the CD and start over with a "new" puppy.

Regards,

dewdrop

bugman

#3 Post by bugman »

Thanks, I actually set up a dual-boot system (2-hds and grub) so I can slowly migrate away from that other popular operating system. But if there are no other solutions, I might do that. I think all I've added was Audacity, and I kept the dot.pup, so...

bugman

#4 Post by bugman »

I fixed it myself!!!

I was dicking around with something (trying to get xsane to recognize my parallel port scanner-no go) and I opened an xterm window, and for some reason it said at the top something like "no defaulttexteditor" and there was a PATH.

Paths are golden to the linubie who is used to the DOS-derivatives system.

So I go to that special place, where I see a buncha default this-and-that. I copied the default for Abiword, edited it for Beaver. My context menu now works as good as new! Puppy's got all 4 legs again!

The reason this was so important to me is that I like to open local html files as text and edit them with a text editor. In W98 I used a great editor called Programmers File Editor (PFE) and hope to find something I like as well in Linux.

Now if I could get that scanner figured out...

trapster

#5 Post by trapster »

Bugman,

The real quick way I open files as text is to hold down the "shift" key and left click.

I love this puppy 8)
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

bugman

#6 Post by bugman »

Very nice, will try in a minute...

I tried it! I like it!

Would that work if the defaulttexteditor was gone though? Since it seems to do the same thing...

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

the desktop icons are shortcuts to a file or directory (folder) ... the icons behave as if they are the item itself, so if you click an icon for the default text editor, it's as if you clicked that executable file ... if you drag the icon to the Trash icon, it's the same as dragging the executable file to the Trash icon ... that is, it deletes the executable program, not the icon

i don't think there's any easy way around that ... basically, you can't drag an icon to the Trash icon to remove the icon

any files you drag to the Trash icon should be in the trash folder ... click the Trash icon to open the trash folder

one of the useful things about Puppy, is that if any files in /usr were deleted or changed or corrupted, you can easily get back the originals ... just look in /root/.usr (hidden folder, click the Show Hidden Files at the top of the Rox window) and delete the appropriate file in /root/.usr ... reboot and the original file will be there again ... this won't work if you have an option 2 hard drive installation

you can set the program that Rox uses for Open As Text by right clicking a text file and typing in leafpad or beaver or whatever program you like ... or you can find the program and drag it to the Set Run Action window

Puppy has editors for html ... Mozilla Composer, Bluefish, Amaya and others ... some of those program would have to be installed from pupget or dotpup packages

the way you fixed your problems is a good as any method

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

trapster wrote:Bugman,

The real quick way I open files as text is to hold down the "shift" key and left click.

I love this puppy 8)
That is a great tip. It opens leafpad which I prefer. Right clicking will bring up options including a second layer menu to "open as text" which loads "beaver"

A file can also be 'opened with' (in 107a) 'Edit with' in earlier versions a variety of text edits - Mozedit (composer HTML editor, Abiword - inputs and outputs HTML and Bluefish HTML editor). These options again from a right click.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

'Edit with' in earlier versions
Actually it was "Send to."
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

kethd

#10 Post by kethd »

Puppy also includes the text editor mp.