Puppy 4.3.1-Release-Candidate -- bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
svgt

#16 Post by svgt »

Until now Partview runs only from terminal.

bigpup

Puppy CD/DVD Drive Wizard

#17 Post by bigpup »

:shock:
When using the CD/DVD Drive Wizard to set the default DVD reader, it shows the selection that is made, but when you close and reopen the wizard the setting is not saved. All of the other settings are saved, but not the one for the default DVD reader.

panzerpuppy

Re: Puppy CD/DVD Drive Wizard

#18 Post by panzerpuppy »

bigpup wrote:When using the CD/DVD Drive Wizard to set the default DVD reader, it shows the selection that is made, but when you close and reopen the wizard the setting is not saved. All of the other settings are saved, but not the one for the default DVD reader.
dogone wrote:No compatible modules found by CPU Frequency Scaling Tool. Compatible modules are found for both systems under Puppy 430.
Confirmed.

eprv

#19 Post by eprv »

very good, only small issues:

installing to usb stick ext2 or ext3 there is nosmp in the extlinux.conf file this is not needed anymore.

wireless connection is not saved for next boot need to run the wizard each time.

installing to usb stick ext3 with save to sdb1 crashes next boot with kernel panic

inkscapelite is sensitive, after some installations will not start error massege: undefined symbol: art_alloc

glxgears = 830 fps with puppy, only 600 fps with ubuntu 9.04 on same machine javascript:emoticon(':D')

Thanks for the excellent puppy

PaulBx1

#20 Post by PaulBx1 »

Confirm CD/DVD wizard does not save selection. Mine was missing the assignment for DVD reader drive. The help button for the wizard mentions programs that Puppy no longer has, but not Pburn.

Pburn still did not work for me, however it got maybe a little bit further. Actually managed to burn something once, but the md5sum did not check out. Got scsi check conditions like I did in 4.1.2. Not sure I've ever managed to burn on this laptop, so maybe the device is not supported. It is reported as a Pioneer DVR-K16M. Will report on pburn thread if it is still around.

Module acpi-cpufreq worked for me with the CPU frequency scaling application. I wonder if it shouldn't be in the setup menu, though.

Partview is confusing. Should show both full capacity and either what is used or free. Perhaps the graphic on right should have the header "Fraction used".

Changing the "calculate" menu into a "business" menu doesn't work for me. I suppose I can edit .jwmrc.

In my opinion the default wallpaper should say "Puppy Linux 3.4.1RC", not just "Puppy Linux". I like to see the OS version number prominently displayed. Just my thing...

So far it looks pretty good. One thing that seems to be fixed in this laptop is that forum text in Xorg is not corrupted like it sometimes is in 4.1.2. So far anyway. This is a big plus for me.

eztuxer

#21 Post by eztuxer »

svgt wrote:Until now Partview runs only from terminal.
On my AAO it runs from the task bar icon... :oops:
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Tui

#22 Post by Tui »

USB -Rundisk flashdrive Won't detect!

Well I did a full install on a h/drive with two parts and all with same hardware.

One partition has V421 and runs well, other partition has V431RC.

With V421, I plug in a Rundisk flash drive and the icon is on the desktop within
10 secs.! - That's fast for me.

With V431rc using the same method with the rundisk flash I don't get the icon onto
the desktop - looks like it's not detected!

Now using the Mount command and waiting and waiting it opens- some what slow I think!
Selecting USBDRV - opens files on Flash drive, but still no icon on desktop.

A reboot of machine with Flash plugged in shows the icon on desktop and click on opens up the files.
What's the fix for this problem?

Tui

shinobar

jwmconfig2

#23 Post by shinobar »

/usr/local/jwmconfig2/keyboard still have a small bug.
next is the correction.

# diff -u /usr/local/jwmconfig2/keyboard-430RC /usr/local/jwmconfig2/keyboard

Code: Select all

--- /usr/local/jwmconfig2/keyboard-430RC	2008-01-20 11:24:20.000000000 +0900
+++ /usr/local/jwmconfig2/keyboard	2009-09-28 23:03:29.000000000 +0900
@@ -30,12 +30,10 @@
 <window title=\"JWM Configuration Manager\" icon-name=\"gtk-preferences\">
 <vbox>
   <frame Description>
+      <hbox>
    <pixmap><input file>$MINI_ICONS_DIR/mini-keyboard.xpm</input></pixmap>
-    <hbox>
       <text>
-        <label>
-You can configure your keyboard shortcuts here.
-        </label>
+        <label>You can configure your keyboard shortcuts here.</label>
       </text>
     </hbox>
   </frame>
@@ -105,7 +103,7 @@
       <action type=\"exit\">OK</action>
     </button>
     <button help>
-      <action>defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/jwm.htm#keys &</action>
+      <action>defaulthtmlviewer http://www.joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml#keys &</action>
     </button>
   </hbox>
 </vbox>

BarryK
Puppy Master

#24 Post by BarryK »

DaveS,
I can't see any problem with defaulttexteditor, or defaulttextviewer.

sinc,
Partview is launched from the tray, left side.

shinobar,
Thanks, I have fixed You2pup.

Billtoo,
I see also that the icon is missing from the menu.
This fixes your .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Htop
Type=Application
Comment=Show System Processes
Terminal=true
Exec=rxvt -e htop
Icon=htop.png
Categories=ConsoleOnly;System;
GenericName=Process Viewer

Kenny-M,
The release candidate is just a sanity check.
The final will have more build choices, including SCSI.

dogone,
Nothing I can do about SQLiteManager, there is only an older version available for SeaMonkey 1.1.x.
Hmmm, I might have to remove it.

2. No compatible modules found by CPU Frequency Scaling Tool. Compatible modules are found for both systems under Puppy 430.
...there are no differences from 430 that could possibly affect this. I'm running 431 right now, yep, the modules are there.

bigpup,
Oh yeah! That CD/DVD Wizard is ancient! I haven't updated it since Puppy 2.x. Okay, try the attached. Gunzip and place it at /usr/sbin.
Attachments
cdburner-wizard.gz
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#25 Post by BarryK »

dogone,
Have you tested SQLiteDBMS?

Does it work ok? If so, I can put that in instead of SQLiteManager.

Ah, I just found a bug in the PPM. SQLiteDBMS is in the 'Business' category in the puppy-4 repo, but PPM doesn't list it.

However, click the 'ALL' button and it is listed.

Please test SQLiteDBMS!

Right, I have written down that PPM bug, will get onto it.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

jakfish

#26 Post by jakfish »

Asus eee 900/4.3.1/frugal install on 4GB Kingston SD card

Anybody else having glacial response/100% CPU Usage with Abiword and MS Word docs?

If I install another abiword version, I can not replicate the problem. The installed version will work without problem.

Jake

charlie6

#27 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Barry,
BarryK wrote:...
Nothing I can do about SQLiteManager, there is only an older version available for SeaMonkey 1.1.x.
Hmmm, I might have to remove it.
I do not know yet much about SQLiteDBMS.
I had like to keep SQLiteManager as it allows:
- import of existing databases (could re-use a database created on Windows)
- extract a .csv file with result of a SQL sorting request (through the 'View" function
- use this last .csv file as input for abiword to do mailmerging into a template document.
Till now, I browsed the Puppy forum and made testings to find a database which could do that without succes together with using the tools delivered with the basic 100MB puppy iso. Only SQLiteManager has that "View" function. This function does not exist for SQLite itself.

Note: freezing upon Tools/Options is not so ennoying as other functions works (I had a look on ttuuxxx's 431.1: there SQLiteManager does not freeze: the options menu does not seems to me to affect the basic database use nor bringing that much to the user).

SQLiteManager could also be an answer to "which database for Puppy"
Then I believe SQLiteManager may stay in the present state.

cheers, Charlie

charlie6

#28 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
jakfish wrote: Anybody else having glacial response/100% CPU Usage with Abiword and MS Word docs?
on abiword 2.6.3 (puppy 4.1.2) already got that when opening large .doc files (large and formated and containig tables and/or images): I believe this to be specific to abiword's .doc import capability. According to its developpers, latest versions ask yet to be perfectible about abiword's MS Word .doc import capability.
If you need to read 100% MS Word doc, one possible solution is to install OpenOffice (did that on my wife's puppy 4.1.2 version, and even configured it as defaultwordprocessor ... no claim since about one year now...!:-) ).
cheers, charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

Kal

#29 Post by Kal »

With the service pack upgrade to a full install, I found that "ppmrough" was missing from /usr/bin. Which of course, makes Barry's partview partly inop.

It's not in 4.30 or the service pack.

Kal

PaulBx1

#30 Post by PaulBx1 »

Anybody else having glacial response/100% CPU Usage with Abiword and MS Word docs?
on abiword 2.6.3 (puppy 4.1.2) already got that when opening large .doc files
No, it's much worse. I have a 10-page .doc file that works fast in Abiword in 4.1.2. Abiword also looks fast in 4.3.1 until I open the same doc file. Then I can grab the scroll bar and try to scroll down through the doc. After about 15 or 20 seconds it finally moves.

Abiword is unusable.

<later>
Never mind! :oops:

Abiword (in 4.3.1RC, not in 4.1.2) for some reason chokes up for about 15 seconds after loading a .doc file. In my machine the CPU goes to 50%. After that, it is fine, works just as before, with low CPU usage.

Disconcerting, though. I bet it will cause some concerns, until people learn to live with it.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 05:35, edited 2 times in total.

charlie6

#31 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
BarryK wrote:Have you tested SQLiteDBMS?
Does it work ok?......Please test SQLiteDBMS!
It seems it works and to be a very, very basic SQLite GUI..!
BUT: no "View" function found as on SQLiteManager...! (see my former post above)
My conclusion: please keep SQLiteManager...or...suggestion: nice to have a pet for it....
EDITED: found on Barry's blog: that SQLiteManager pet already exists here thank you Barry !:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... -0.3.4.pet

installation details:
1. loaded SQLiteDBMS 'pet from ibiblio and installed; then reboot,
2. start SQLiteDBMS well present in menu entry;
3. answered Administrator ID + password aftwrds connected to website of SQLiteDBMS....:-( !
(now I remember I have done this already in the past...)
4. There I saw I had to install sqlte 3.x: [/color]EDITED: ! not necessary as SQLite3.6.2 is already in !
5. so installed SQLite3.4.2 from ibiblio, restarted X.
6. start SQLiteDBMSfrom Menu entries and the got the GUI (choose "internal client tool") in the Puppy html viewer.

It seems there are two ways using SQLiteDBMS: on line or using the internal client tool with the Puppy html viewer.

Anyway many thanks in advance for your time.
cheers, charlie

EDITED
I have just restarted my PC and opened SQLiteDBMS:
then it seems that SQLiteDBMS needs a web access to run - I did not find a way to use it "internal-without-internet-connection". I do not like that.
I have not seen "import" function (as to imoprt an existing DB)
There is a "View" function but not seen "export" one.
Last edited by charlie6 on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 10:55, edited 6 times in total.

bigpup

CD/DVD Wizard fixed

#32 Post by bigpup »

BarryK wrote:
bigpup,
Oh yeah! That CD/DVD Wizard is ancient! I haven't updated it since Puppy 2.x. Okay, try the attached. Gunzip and place it at /usr/sbin.

That fixed it. Now you can say it is updated.

Not sure if you need this wizard, but it sure makes you feel like you did something when you see it operate.

Thanks for the quick fix!!!! :lol:

Billtoo

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47671

#33 Post by Billtoo »

Billtoo,
I see also that the icon is missing from the menu.
This fixes your .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Htop
Type=Application
Comment=Show System Processes
Terminal=true
Exec=rxvt -e htop
Icon=htop.png
Categories=ConsoleOnly;System;
GenericName=Process Viewer

This fixed the problem, thanks

bigpup

CD or DVD drive icons on desktop

#34 Post by bigpup »

When disc is loaded into drive and mounted, the drive icon is displayed on the desktop, but it is placed over other drive icons. You can grab it and move it to new location, but thats not good. This is Puppy Linux!

puttingau

abiword slow startup

#35 Post by puttingau »

No, it's much worse. I have a 10-page .doc file that works fast in Abiword in 4.1.2. Abiword also looks fast in 4.3.1 until I open the same doc file. Then I can grab the scroll bar and try to scroll down through the doc. After about 15 or 20 seconds it finally moves.
It's possible the grammar checker is on. I found this to be a problem with large documents in 4.3, until I unchecked it (Edit/Preferences/Spellcheck/Automatic Grammar)