Puppy 4.3.1-Release-Candidate -- bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
Feverfew

#61 Post by Feverfew »

the Welcome, woof, woof! pages explanatory graphics are not the same as the new metallic/blue desktop so here's some that are :)

P.S. the jwm menus have a weird ghosting effect; when moving though the menu's :? and I didn't see a screen record program so i cant show y'all :oops: .
Attachments
clock.png
(4.29 KiB) Downloaded 1916 times
menu.png
(6.63 KiB) Downloaded 1836 times

r__hughes

#62 Post by r__hughes »

Hi ecube thanks for your msg of 4:06 pm 12oct09 with your perl script partview-type display. It worked first time & gives what I think is a more logical display --- and it works with built in perl too - I am going to have to look into this :)
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

bigpup

CD or DVD drive icons on desktop

#63 Post by bigpup »

BarryK Asked:
bigpup wrote:
When disc is loaded into drive and mounted, the drive icon is displayed on the desktop, but it is placed over other drive icons. You can grab it and move it to new location, but thats not good. This is Puppy Linux!

Other people have reported this, but I don't have this problem on any of my PCs. I think it happens with a certain screen resolution -- what is yours?
My resolution is 1280x1024

shinobar wrote:
we know that issue occurs at some screen size.
the 4.30 japanese edition has the code to fix.

/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d at line 135- Code:
free_coord() {
#find a free place on desktop. v410 avoid exact overlapping icons...
COORDSGRID="`grep -o ' x="[0-9]*" y="[0-9]*" ' /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin | sed 's/[0-9]"/"/g'`"
COORD_Y=`expr $SCRN_Y - 64`
# import from v4.20p1JP 5Jun09, 18aug09 by Masaki Shinomiya : snap on the grid
PIN_GRID_STEP=`grep "pinboard_grid_step" $HOME/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options | sed -e "s/ *<[^>]*>//g"`
if [ "$PIN_GRID_STEP" ] && [ $PIN_GRID_STEP -gt 0 ];then
PIN_GRID_STEP2=`expr $PIN_GRID_STEP / 2`
COORD_Y=`expr \( $COORD_Y + $PIN_GRID_STEP2 \) / $PIN_GRID_STEP '*' $PIN_GRID_STEP`
fi

COORD_X=32
MAX_X=`expr $SCRN_X - 96`
xPATTERN=" x=\"${COORD_X}\" y=\"${COORD_Y}\" "
while [ 1 ];do
xgPATTERN="`echo -n "$xPATTERN" | sed 's/[0-9]"/"/g'`"
[ "`echo "$COORDSGRID" | grep "$xgPATTERN"`" = "" ] && break
COORD_X=`expr $COORD_X + 64`
xPATTERN=" x=\"${COORD_X}\" y=\"${COORD_Y}\" "
[ $COORD_X -gt $MAX_X ] && break
done
}
This is a two day old puppy you are telling to insert code to fix a problem. You know how puppies are at two days old! They chew things and generally make a mess. Let the games begin!!!!

Thanks for the info and lets see what I can learn to do.
:shock:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#64 Post by Lobster »

Got Puppy running on the Asus 700 netbook with wifi
just as in 4.3.
really appreciate this - as I bought the netbook to run Puppy :)

notes: - had to enter the data for wifi and then restart x server and do it again, to get connect.
Uses WPA, even if you are using WPA2 encryption on your wifi
Use menu / desktop / JWM configuration to autohide the tray bar and give more screen space

One strange thing, I could not get the mic setting or other level bars to move in zmixer on the Asus 700 netbook. Tried plugging in USB mouse - nope would not work.
Zmixer working OK on my main PC.
Not sure why this might be?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rerwin

burniso2cd can frustrate user verifying disk

#65 Post by rerwin »

The venerable burniso2cd script facilitates user actions that prevent successful verification and then leaves the user wondering what went wrong.

1. In preparation for verifying the disk's checksum, the user is told to click "okay" when the CD/DVD drive is closed. The verification begins when the "click" is done. However, the drive may require up to about 15 seconds to get the disk ready, during which time its light flashes. Actually, the user should click after the light finishes flashing. But one might find themself clicking as soon as the button is pushed to close the drive. If the drive is not ready when verification begins, verification fails and the user has no way to re-verify, possibly wasting a valid disk.

2. If the verification fails, there is no further information on why. The user can waste time and disks while guessing the reason.

To address both of these problems, I updated the burniso2cd script to wait 15 seconds before starting the verification following the "click", and to write the output from the "dd" command used in the verification to a log file. That shows whether an I/O error occurred and the number of bytes compared. These seem to be simple fixes that would improve the user experience of burning ISOs.

Since this might be considered a long-standing-bug fix, I offer it for the next RC.
Richard
Attachments
burniso2cd_update_for_P431-1.pet
Friendlier ISO burn script
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
diff-burniso2cd.tar.gz
Difference listings
(992 Bytes) Downloaded 549 times

tubby

wifi

#66 Post by tubby »

Toshiba Portege

Internal wifi modem is not detected on boot, setup wizard reports no modem found then maybe it is switched off.
After switching off then back on modem is found and configures ok but on reboot no modem is found so reinstall after switch off and then back on.
Do you think it is a time out problem or something to do with rerwins modem program.
Usb modems are found ok on boot with internal switched off.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#67 Post by BarryK »

Ok, I have modified the abiword package so that grammar checking is off by default.

shinobar,
Thanks very much for posting that fix for the overlapping drive icons.
I've implemented that.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

toutix

stops when loading disk drivers

#68 Post by toutix »

thanks for all the great work.

-I am testing puppy431rc from usb stick on a compaq mini 110c
-booting stops when 431rc is trying to load drivers to access disk
-puppy/toutou412 does not have this problem
-booting from CD (external usb CD drive) works on mini 110c, with sudden unexplained exceptions sometimes at same stage
-same usb stick with 431rc works on older IBM thinkpad X44
-option to burn stick was mbr.bin, other options not successful also for booting IBM X44 (brand of USB stick is Apacer)

-of course, network cannot be accessed from mini 110c at present as drivers for AR8132/L1c and BCM4312 are lacking in 431rc, but this would not matter as I am using puppy/toutou for my lectures

rerwin

#69 Post by rerwin »

tubby,
After switching off then back on modem is found and configures ok but on reboot no modem is found so reinstall after switch off and then back on.
It could well be something in the 3G stuff. (I'm not sure what you mean by "reinstall" in this case.) That project is at the "fine tuning" phase, so special cases may not be handled appropriately. Would you be willing to help me resolve this by sending me the tarball created by my new diagnostic tool, pmodemdiag? It is in the repo under Utilities, or you can get it from the 4.3-final Bugs thread, page 18. Run it after the reboot where the internal modem is not found, but before you do anything about it. (After installing, enter ./pmodemdiag in a console.) Thanks.
Richard

kazzamozz

Testing 431

#70 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi there
have been testing 431 on the following hardware with success.
Booting from USB stick Toshiba Satellite Pro L300
Wireless Canon IP5200r hooked up successfully using IP address, and Canon driver IP5200
Wireless driver RT8187/8187B USB had not had much success with this until now.
Ethernet r8169
Alsa Sound works but not always loud enough, not sure if that's just some settings need adjusting as yet.
No Crashes in Sea Monkey over the last 2 days and nights, have used it solidly.
Vodafone 3G wireless USB stick using GPRs connect, very fast. Faster than when hooked up with windows.
Loaded Openoffice SFS files, icons appear and work nicely, converts Office 2007 document files and formatting was partially successful. Lost the fonts, but kept the tables. 10 Page document opens within seconds.
Fan on laptop working CPU not overheating.
Mouse touchpad fine, seem to have to tap it fairly hard, not sure if that's relevant. However very responsive with gliding of finger across the pad.
Still need to test keyboard function keys as yet.
Puppy is much faster than the Vista!!! it came installed with.
GXine ran flawlessly for 6 movies.
Occasionally when rebooting shutdown screen is all blurred, but doesn't seem to affect operations of anything.
Pmount no errors so far
Burn Iso to CD have burnt 6 iso files without errors

Here are some things that don't seem to work properly

Rox filer when right clicking on Iso asks if I want to burn file using Pburn asks for a disk nothing happens after that.
Disk just keeps spinning.
Anyway that's all for now
Cheers 8)
Kazzamozz

kazzamozz

Re: burniso2cd can frustrate user verifying disk

#71 Post by kazzamozz »

[quote="rerwin"]The venerable burniso2cd script facilitates user actions that prevent successful verification and then leaves the user wondering what went wrong.

Toshiba Satellite Pro L300
Yes everytime I have tried to do a verification I get an error, stating it is unable to verify disk. However I check the disks by booting up with them and they are fine.
:?
Cheers
Kazzamozz

tubby

#72 Post by tubby »

Thanks for your reply rerwin, by reinstall i meant reprobe for modem as it is not recognised on boot. I will try your suggestion and post results when i use the portege next.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#73 Post by BarryK »

Thanks to ljfr I now have a fix for the problem of some svg images not displaying. I reported this on my blog:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01166
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01165

Tygua

RTC_timer not working ?

#74 Post by Tygua »

Hi

It seems the rtc_timer not working on puppy 4.3.
For example, the gmorgan sequencer does not start.
Similarly, the rosegarden sequencer does not start with the RTC_timer but is OK when selecting another timer (eg timer system)
Both programs work perfectly with previous versions of puppy.

Tygua

zigbert

#75 Post by zigbert »

kazzamozz wrote:Rox filer when right clicking on Iso asks if I want to burn file using Pburn asks for a disk nothing happens after that.
What happens if you insert a writable disc and run the same command once more?

Sigmund

nic2109

Re: burniso2cd can frustrate user verifying disk

#76 Post by nic2109 »

kazzamozz wrote:
Yes everytime I have tried to do a verification I get an error, stating it is unable to verify disk. However I check the disks by booting up with them and they are fine.
:?
Cheers
Kazzamozz
Yeah; it's been like that for me for ages. So much so that I haven't bothered with "Verify" for months and months - at least back to 4.1.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

rerwin

Undetected internal modem -- bug found!

#77 Post by rerwin »

And we have a winner! -- tubby!

Tubby's report of his internal modem not being detected automatically is now solved. The modem is built into the sound card and is one of those supported by the SmartLink driver, slmodem. But the firmware.dep file does not associate the driver, snd_ali5451, with the slmodem firmware.

The slmodem line in all /etc/modules/firmware.dep.2.6.xx.xx versions -- for each of the kernels -- should now be:

Code: Select all

slmodem:slamr.ko,slusb.ko,snd-via82xx-modem.ko,snd-atiixp-modem.ko,snd-intel8x0m.ko,snd-hda-intel.ko,snd-ali5451.ko
Tubby, and anyone else with this modem, can update the file by copy-pasting this command and entering in a console:

Code: Select all

sed -i -e 's/\(,snd-hda-intel.ko\)/\1,snd-ali5451.ko/' /etc/modules/firmware.dep.`uname -r`
and then rebooting. There should be no need to probe for the modem. This fix can also be applied to any puppy 4.1.2 or 4.2.1, and probably others.

Thank you tubby for calling attention to this problem, which results in a better Puppy! In a nick of time (whatever that means).
Richard

Update: Corrected _ to -, per Barry's instruction. Thanks, Barry.
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#78 Post by rerwin »

(Inadvertent duplicate posting.)

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Partview accuracy

#79 Post by BarryK »

wrong post
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 13 Oct 2009, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#80 Post by BarryK »

ecube wrote:I feel that information about mounted partitions is sufficient and have put together a small perl script which is sufficient for my needs.
Ecube,
That's great! I was hoping that my first-go at writing Partview would stimulate someone else to have a go.

Your solution is simple and fast.

It has one problem though. As it only shows mounted partitions, if there aren't any then it aborts with an error.

That's a problem if someone boots Puppy for the first time, or with "pfix=ram" then they click on the tray icon that runs Partview -- and nothing happens.

Could you modify the script so that if no partitions mounted, put up a message that Partview displays information about mounted partitions only.

...thanks, if you can do that, I'll put it into 4.3.1.