PCountdown - countdown timer

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Jim1911

#16 Post by Jim1911 »

Works fine!

davesurrey

#17 Post by davesurrey »

01micko wrote
davesurrey, re visible warning.. do you want an option for that? It could timeout any time you choose or not at all ...
Hi and sorry for delayed reply but my partner's PC HDD crashed so tryng to recover the data. Bit of an emergency.

For me it would be great to have the option that it continued to give a visible warning until it was reset but for others it might be better if that is optional.

Thanks as ever
Dave

tlchost

#18 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote: Try this one, experimental, but without experiments our knowledge can not grow :)
It works fine.....but, when it went off, I had to wonder....if I had set it to remind me to do something....it doesn't tell me what to do.

Maybe a field to enter the task? right now, it goes off, and in a senior moment, I have to ask myself what I am being reminded to do.

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

tclhost,

Ok, should be able to do that, add a field for the "task". Maybe I could add it to the splash? Would that be suitable?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tlchost

#20 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote: Ok, should be able to do that, add a field for the "task". Maybe I could add it to the splash? Would that be suitable?
I think that would be fantastic!

Thanks
Thom

01micko

#21 Post by 01micko »

Version -0.1.2

See main post

vovchik

#22 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko,

I made a few mods that shorten the script a bit (generated the item lists in loops). Please have a look. Also I replaced "file icon" with "file stock", since, in this way, gtkdialog respects the button icon size stipulated in the user's gtk theme.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
countdown.tar.gz
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 772 times

tlchost

Thanks

#23 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:Version -0.1.2
Works fine ... but the dog snarled the fisrt time she read the screen.

Thanks!

Thom

Jim1911

#24 Post by Jim1911 »

Thank you for this nice little useful application. Works great. :)
Jim

01micko

#25 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim1911 and tlchost.

Jim, remember when you reported the bug? I bet it was around 8 or 9 in the morning right? tlchost, same. The problem is the code solution I chose, which Patriot kindly pointed out to me. It wont handle 08 or 09 because bash (in this instance) reads the 0 as a switch to change to base 8. Consequently the code fails because we are working in base 10.

Now I know what the problem is I can fix it, but the fixed version will be slightly slower I fear (no prob for you Jim 8) ) but I can test and refine on my old k6 400 w/ 128Mib ram.

vovchik, thanks for your interest, I will look at your code and try to understand it, all good learning experience for me :)

Cheers and thanks for reports.

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

vovchick

Thankyou for your addition, I love it! It will be in the next version, provided it works nice on my old machine, I can't see a problem. That code should trim a little fat too :) . I like it.

Cheers

Mick

01micko

#27 Post by 01micko »

updated to version -0.1.5

See main post

vovchik,

I tried your function code and it didn't work. The gui rendered fine but it somehow would not allow the functions script to run correctly. :? The code (my code) is very , how shall we say, raw. There are still refinements to be made. I did implement the 'icon' to 'stock' change, thanks.

Cheers

vovchik

#28 Post by vovchik »

Dear01micko,

I am scratching my head. I don't see how my functions can affect the stuff in the functions file, particularly since the gui renders in your case, too. All my functions do, as you know, is to generate the item lists - rather than having them hardcoded. It all works on my puppies (3.01 and 4.10).

With kind regards,
vovchik

01micko

#29 Post by 01micko »

vovchik

I have it working now with my updated code :) . I was trying to implement too many changes at once... a bad idea :oops: . So I went back a step and implemented changes slowly.

Your function code will be in the next release. Just testing on old machine.

Cheers

Mick

It all works on old box

Now up to v-0.1.6

See main post

vovchik

#30 Post by vovchik »

Dear mick,

I ahve another little suggestion. Try using the following in the "Duration of Splash" hbox:

Code: Select all

<frame Duration of Splash>
	<hbox homogeneous=\"true\">
		<radiobutton>
			<variable>DUR1</variable>
			<label>Short</label>
			<default>$DUR1</default>
		</radiobutton>
		<radiobutton>
			<variable>DUR2</variable>
			<label>Sound time</label>
			<default>$DUR2</default>
		</radiobutton>
		<radiobutton>
			<variable>DUR3</variable>
			<label>Infinity</label>
			<default>$DUR3</default>
		</radiobutton>
	</hbox>
</frame>
The homogeneous="true" bit in the hbox obviates the need for manually spacing the strings used in the labels. They will centre just fine without whitespace padding.

With kind regards,
vovchik

vovchik

#31 Post by vovchik »

Dear mick,

Here is an icon I found (PD) that might be suitable for PCountdown.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
clock-timer-alarm.png
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 1393 times

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

Hello vovchik

Thanks for all your help, I fixed the <vbox> tag with your suggestion, and also reduced the icon to 16x16 and added to the package and also added the full size icon to the main post with instructions on how to use it on the desktop.

Cheers

Mick

V -1.7 is out..

See main post

davesurrey

#33 Post by davesurrey »

01micko:
Been busy on other things so just seen your latest version. Really excellent work. Many thanks. Couldn't be better.
Dave

vovchik

#34 Post by vovchik »

Dear Mick,

Have a look at this timer prog. It uses Xdialog for the GUI. I changed it a bit in order to accommodate command line arguments. You can put it wherever you want and type, for example,

./pcntdwn "0/0/5" "xterm -e ls" 
to run xterm with parameters in 5 seconds' time. The countdown bit is pretty nice, since it uses a GTK widget, but your prog offers a better GUI and more control. In any case, here is some more food for thought. If you simply click on pcntdwn in Rox without arguments, you will launch the GUI. I think we might need to do some error checks on the command line input and clean up the logic relating to that aspect. My mods were just a quick hack to get it running. Launching in a terminal with -help or --help displays usage.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
pcntdwn.tar.gz
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 656 times

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

Hello vovchik

That is a cool little countdown timer, up to 100 hrs too I see. It would be great for offpeak downloading... let's say

./pcntdwn "5/0/0" wget -[options] http://www.someaddress/somefile
Easy. You could set it before you go to bed. I could add a box to run a command to mine too, but I think Pschedule takes care of it anyway.

BTW, I just did 2 tests on my old box (over 2 days). If you set for 24 hours it works but restarts the timer immediately, if you set for 23h 59m 59s it works as expected.. I will remove 24 from the dropdown in the next release.

Dave, you are now even more spoilt for choice!

Cheers

Mick