Wpa_Gui: Finally a real network manager for puppy

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
jemimah

#31 Post by jemimah »

You can use fltk schemes with it to make it look a little different. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 666#347666 It also looks a lot better with the antialiased font patch.

I plan to release a new flwm package when things with puppeee slow down. Likely real soon now.

Hopefully I'll have time to make a pwireless2 pet tomorrow.

technosaurus

#32 Post by technosaurus »

Are you using fluid (fltk) or gtkdialog (gtk) for your wireless gui? The flwm window just made me wonder
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

chrome307

#33 Post by chrome307 »

Is Pwireless2 available to download as a PET file?

TIA

jemimah

#34 Post by jemimah »

Technosaurus, it's gtkdialog.

I'm working on the Pet today. I'll let you know when I post it.

chrome307

#35 Post by chrome307 »

jemimah

#36 Post by jemimah »

Billcnz

#37 Post by Billcnz »

Thanks guys for these network managers. I didn't think I was ever going to get the wifi on my HP laptop to work with Puppy. Network wizard could see my wireless router on a scan but when it tried to assign an IP address it would either come up with something completely eroneous or a message saying unable to establish WPA connection. However I tried WPA_GUI and Pwireless2 and either one works great.

Cheers

gonkbag

#38 Post by gonkbag »

hello
so to conclude, which one is recommended ?
smaller the better, I'm having great difficulty connecting wirelessly on an eeepc 1001ha which uses a ralink rt3090 card on any flava of linux.
I might well try both and see how it goes

puppy's the business

jemimah

#39 Post by jemimah »

I doubt this wpa-gui will work since it assumes your interface is named wlan0. Pwireless2 is smarter and better.

Hmm, I didn't know about that rt3090 card previously. I will add the driver to Puppeee which uses a newer kernel that has a lot of the bugs with the ralink cards fixed. The proprietary staging drivers from Ralink are really bad, especially for wpa. The newer kernels have native drivers.

jemimah

#40 Post by jemimah »

I just checked and it says that the rt2860 driver can handle the rt3090 card, so you should be good to go with Puppeee which already includes Pwireless2. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48288

Let me know if you have problems.

gonkbag

#41 Post by gonkbag »

Hello
sorry for the delay in replying, the eee 1001ha is my son's , well here's where I'm at, I tried pupeee (latest) and pwireless2 simply says nothing found (there's also no iw2200 driver for my old hp laptop).
So I tried my 4.31 with the rt3090 pet from here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 11&t=47267 and also the pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-1.pet from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 659#371659 still no luck, I tried blacklisting and prioratising both the rt3090 and 2860, nowt.
Not sure if I'm missing something obvious.
I'm beginning to see why asus put xp on it.

I found 3 rpm's in rpm fusion updates and have a live usb of fedora 12, so may gve that a try, not giving up on puppy though (works beautifully on my old laptop)

jemimah

#42 Post by jemimah »

Well maybe that information is bad. I'll find out if anyone else has a 1001ha working, and investigate the drivers further.

jemimah

#43 Post by jemimah »

It looks like the first kernel that has this driver in the tree is 2.6.32. So it's going to take some work on my part to get it to work on Puppeee. Are you willing to help me test it? I can't even find a place where I can buy a 1001ha; apparently they are fairly rare.

gonkbag

#44 Post by gonkbag »

Hello again
yes I would be willing to help, although it may be a somewhat drawn out process as the netbook is my son's who lives with his mum who thinks that linux is some sort of voodoo magic and "why don't you just use windows like everyone else" I despair sometimes :D
I think the 1001ha only came out late last year so are probably still quite rare, but at £200 I couldn't find anything nearly as well specc'd and is a beautifully crafted piece of electronics (well apart from the f*&king wireless card) I got mine from amazon.com.
On a non puppy note, I have installed the 4 rt2860 packages from rpmfusion onto my fedora 12 live usb so I shall see what that yields at the weekend, also on various ubuntu netbook forums, building a patched kernel seems to be the answer, but I've been avoiding that like the plague, so I'm not sure how those rpm's work if they're not built into the kernel

jemimah

#45 Post by jemimah »

I've found patches for the 2.6.31 kernel that would add the 3090 driver, but my gut feeling is that it is not going to be stable enough to use with wpa_supplicant or Pwireless2 until 2.6.33. But the only way to know for sure is to test it.

I will add it to the next Puppeee and you can tell me how it goes if you get a chance.

T_Hobbit

#46 Post by T_Hobbit »

CanI use it to connect to a PEAP/MSCHAP network?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#47 Post by jemimah »

Yes, probably (assuming wpa_supplicant supports it) , this is one of the areas where wpa_gui is going to work better than Pwireless2. If you need any help getting wpa_supplicant started, just let me know. Some of the more complicated network setups are probably going to require modifying the config file by hand.

T_Hobbit

#48 Post by T_Hobbit »

No static IP option...
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#49 Post by jemimah »

Wpa_gui actually doesn't know anything about DHCP at all. My startup script starts the dhcpcd daemon, which should automatically detect when you've got a connection and grab an IP. But if you want options, like static ip, you'll still need to configure that by hand, unfortunately.

shadower_sc

WPA_GUI with PEAP and MSCHAPv2

#50 Post by shadower_sc »

Hi,
I have successfully got WPA with PEAP and MSCHAPv2 to work on Puppy Linux. (Look at the beginning of this thread for help on installing WPA_GUI)

I think the name of the file you need to edit is "wpa_supplicant.conf". It's been a while since I set it up.

Here is the setup I used: (The following is all I had in the file.)
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1

network={
ssid="YOUR WIRELESS SSID"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
pairwise=CCMP
eap=PEAP
identity="DOMAIN\username"
password="password"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}