Microsoft tells you how to get rid of Linux

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
BlackAdder

Microsoft tells you how to get rid of Linux

#1 Post by BlackAdder »

There are MS knowledge base articles on how to remove Linux and install WIndows instead. The Windows XP version is here
Obviously that would not apply to a type 1 Puppy hard disk install or running Puppy from CD or from USB or....
So maybe they are happy to have a Puppy in their kennel; or a chihuahua is small enough to get under their radar.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

It was nice of them to provide such good instructions on how to use Linux fdisk, we should have a link to this page for people wanting to learn how to repartition.

:-)

jcagle

#3 Post by jcagle »

But the problem is I don't want to get rid of Linux.

raffy

Reversal

#4 Post by raffy »

A reversal, which also informs people how to do the real thing - this looks like a treat, after all. Thanks for pointing that out, Ian.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

I am using Puppy Linux
but I created this page to explain Linux without the hype:
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/HolyGeek_Linux_Report

It is traditional and fun to make fun of Microsoft from the Linux camp but the real test is what the world uses. Microsoft are moving from ridicule to acceptance that Linux exists. We might have had a world dominated by IBM which used to be a horrific monolith. I still think Microsoft will buy Redhat. Maybe Google will get there first. I see no problem with Puppy supporting Windows users who are making the transition to Linux. In fact one of the things I liked about the distro originally is it was not a head in the sand - 'MS does not exist and I have never heard of them' type Tux fanaticism. I really feel that MS has done more for computing standardisation (yes they got rich and powerful) than any other company until Google (who are well on their way). It is inevitable that MS turns out the way it has. It is inevitable that Google will become the same.

:)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 23 Dec 2005, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ICPUG

#6 Post by ICPUG »

Nice, balanced feature, Lobster.

but ...

In the section headed 'What is the best Linux Distro' you hyperlinked everything EXCEPT Puppy (and Fedora - but who cares about Fedora)!

ICPUG

edoc

#7 Post by edoc »

Lobster wrote:I really feel that MS has done more for computing (yes they got rich and powerful) then any other company until Google ...
I don't see that M$ has done anything for computing that Apple has not except M$ is like VHS vs BETA, to use a videotape analogy.

The superior technology does not always win, the superior marketing and strategy does.

Thanks for the Linux discussion document!

IMHO, YMMV ... doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

EarlSmith

#8 Post by EarlSmith »

A very good article Lobster. I really liked the section where you told us the applications that are really stable and useable. I think one of the weaknesses of Linux is the thousands of programs of which very few are stable or usefull. All are interesting and show the many ways a problem can be addressed.
Thanks for an interesting read!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

edoc wrote:
Lobster wrote:I really feel that MS has done more for computing (yes they got rich and powerful) then any other company until Google ...
I don't see that M$ has done anything for computing that Apple has not except M$ is like VHS vs BETA, to use a videotape analogy.

The superior technology does not always win, the superior marketing and strategy does.

Thanks for the Linux discussion document!

IMHO, YMMV ... doc
I agree with Lobster. The very important thing that Microsoft did was to provide a standard OS that would accept software from any third-party developer. Apple didn't do that. The advantage of Apple's approach of keeping everything completely under its control is that you can be confident that Apple software will work. The disadvantage of preventing "unauthorized" software is a lack of choice. Microsoft on the other hand threw its OS open for any developer who wanted to try his or her idea out. The result has been an explosion of half-baked ideas. :lol:

By virtue of its industry dominance combined with allowing anyone to develop applications for its OS, Microsoft is largely responsible for the computer industry as we know it. If Windows hadn't gotten a lot of people comfortable with using computers who probably would otherwise never have, there wouldn't be the market for computers there is, and they would be more expensive and probably not as good quality or performance.

If I had to choose between the two philosophies, I'd choose Microsoft's over Apple's any day. Fortunately there is a third choice: Puppy!

I don't like Microsoft's sharp and predatory business practices, but credit where credit is due.

jcagle

#10 Post by jcagle »

Have you heard about the possibility of Microsoft buying Opera? http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?o ... ew&id=2108

#11 Post by Guest »

Thank you Lobster,I bookmarked that one.

edoc

#12 Post by edoc »

Flash wrote:I agree with Lobster. The very important thing that Microsoft did was to provide a standard OS that would accept software from any third-party developer. Apple didn't do that. Microsoft on the other hand threw its OS open for any developer
I remember when I was asked to set up a networked system of Apple computers (desktop and laptop), a last minute switch from the PC-based system I had agreed to manage, it was a bit of a challenge.

Having been used to dos and early Windows apps floating around the 'Net when Apple told me I either couldn't do something or it would cost a gazillion dollars in proprietary hardware and software I looked elsewhere.

I never found anything I could not accomplish with third-party public domain apps written to run under the Apple OS. Then again when one asked Apple support why somethings didn't work they'd say "try loading in a different order" and when one asked "which order" they'd say "we don't know, try different sequences until one works".

A senior support person finally admitted that they had patched the code so many times that no-one really knew how it worked! It had become more voodoo than science. They finally gave up and re-wrote from scratch.

As for M$. I do not recall Gates willingly opening up things, any more than they encourage-via-access people to build Linux-compatible drivers and cross-platform apps today.

It is my recollection that because their code was so poorly secured anybody could figure it out and write to it and they had to tolerate the third parties. I seem to recall some disagreeable words from M$ about that early on.

Anyhow, in the more civilized world we have Linux and more specifically Puppy and the openess and support among developers and users is wonderful!

A very blessed Christmas and a code-terrific New Year to all!

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

jcagle

#13 Post by jcagle »

Well it looks as if Microsoft buying Opera was a false rumor triggered by John Dvorak's suggestion that Microsoft should buy Opera, at least according to Opera Watch.

Also it looks as if CoolTechZone has updated their article mentioning Microsoft has not approached Opera.

Pizzasgood

#14 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think one of the weaknesses of Linux is the thousands of programs of which very few are stable or usefull
Windows has just as many. Not only that, but more of them cost money. In fact, some of them are made by MS. *cough* IE *cough* :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Oh no it wasn't. IE was another predatory purchase, of MOSAIC, by a multi-convicted criminal organisation.

Alucard_the_dex

#16 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Pizzasgood wrote:
I think one of the weaknesses of Linux is the thousands of programs of which very few are stable or usefull
Windows has just as many. Not only that, but more of them cost money. In fact, some of them are made by MS. *cough* IE *cough* :roll:

In the time ive used linux ive noticed yes there is a lot of unstable programs. Unlike how many unstable programs microsoft has Linux there is always a salution beyond reformating/restoreing and the software is always being updated and fixed MUCH unlike micro$oft.

During my Microsoft days Many programs came out with new versions i HATED. Maybe of these were media players such as Quicktime which indeed is apple but sucked for MS, Real player which i never liked but it continualy got worse, MS media player itself not much to point out we all know its nothing more then crap but my friend updated it and it loaded 8 gigs of album crap on his HD, and of course IE it never gets better yet always gets worse.

Also unlike MS i wait anxiusly and happily jump for joy when theres a update. When MS updated i sat there and cryed about having to do more to stop MS from sucking.
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

Pizzasgood

#17 Post by Pizzasgood »

The main reason I switched to linux was because it was getting hard to find decent free stuff for windows 98. The majority was either garbage or shareware. Plus, it has been eight years since 1998, and everything seemed to be for XP now. I've hated XP in my gut since before I knew Windows was garbage, so I wasn't about to pay to upgrade. Plus, I'd have needed to upgrade my computer just to handle it. So, I started looking at linux. The open source deal appealed to me as a programmer, and I realized it was what I had dreamed of as a kid when I wished I could just open a file and tweak some numbers to make it look how I wanted. I also figured I'd have fewer problems with finding free stuff. The main opstacle was getting one, because I had dialup and didn't want to pay for a cd. I was about to give in when I found Puppy. Now instead of washing my windows, I spend quality time playing with my puppy.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

deshlab

#18 Post by deshlab »

Pizzasgood wrote:Now instead of washing my windows, I spend quality time playing with my puppy.
:D genius quote! somebody should do a flash animation depicting this very concept - or at least an image. would make a cool promo slogan for puppy!

edit: behold my incredible art skills:
Image Image

disclaimer: all images were stolen from the interwebnet and altered/presented without permission by their respective copyright owners. I am sorry for this but my inner artist is stronger than my conscience - and he also has less talent. Also, I did not mean to reveal that all Linux users are children or shoeless, sorry for that too.