MSI only offered user manuals in Windows extraction format

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Bruce B

MSI only offered user manuals in Windows extraction format

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I need a manual for an MSI motherboard so I downloaded one. The manual was in .PDF format, but it was packaged in a Windows 32 bit self extracting executable. I tried to unpack it with Linux but couldn't.

I tried to run it in DOS but that wouldn't work either.

I don't have Windows, so I thought I'd try and run it under Suse with Wine and it worked.

Nothing important, just a rant. It sort of irritates me when a major motherboard manufactur packages user manual downloads in a Windows only extraction format.

It would be silly if they only offered user manuals in a Linux only format.

But it doesn't seem out of place to make it Windows only, I guess.

My opinion is that Linux has not reached the critical mass yet. The day will come when they will package things for everyone.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

John Murga was meant to be creating Wine for Puppy
but he has been busy galavanting about with an anti-geek person (I believe they are known as "women")

ah well there may be more to life than Puppy . . .

:?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

I think it depends on the woman. I can imagine a woman more interesting than Puppy. I fear that she only exists in my imagination.

Back to the subject of Wine. Wine would be nice, but I've become independant enough of Windows software, I can hardly think of what it has that I want much of. Photoshop and some DOS utilities, but Wine doesn't do DOS.

How about DOSEMU for Puppy?

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

I got a (supposedly) 2200 AMD XP processor from AMD on an RMA yesterday. But the MSI motherboard and Linux only see it as 1350 AMD XP.

I went clear through the manual and can't figure out why it won't see it as 2200 I called AMD and they are going to send me another one, because they don't know why either.

#5 Post by Guest »

Well I'll just boycott MSI