Security - running as root

For discussions about security.
tronkel

#16 Post by tronkel »

@retry3

Attached is an updated dotpet for safeseamonkey that includes code that checks if the seamonkeyspot file actually exists in /root.

The seamonkeyspot script also assumes that defaultbrowser exists and is executable.
Attachments
safe-seamonkey-1.0.pet
(142.94 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

retry3

#17 Post by retry3 »

Thanks Tronkel, your efforts to help and the GUI work are much appreciated as well as what MU did in scripting safeseamonkey.

I have been working on a response to your questions in the last post ,but since it takes over 20 minutes for me to reboot (hardware problems) it goes slowly. In addition, I have limited knowledge of Linux and can't run the CLI much beyond "whoami" so my reports will miss a lot.

There were 2 places that had the SSM icon, the "/" and "~" directories.
The menu entry in Internet would start SSM with both dialog boxes of "go" and "Okay". Clicking on the Icons would only bring up the Okay box, but all three ways would open the program.

As I wrote before,after I closed the program, it would not start again by any way except twice, for no reason that I could figure.

A reboot restored the ability of all three ways to open the program.

After re-reading your post a few times, I decided to delete the Icon that was not in "/", so I deleted the one in "~", thinking that would leave the Icon where you said it should be, with no possible conflicts.

Now, I'm not so sure. I think "/" means root and "~" means Home, so when you say the program file should be in "/ root", I may have misunderstood.

After the deletion the SSM entry under Internet does not work, all I get is the initial box that says"Cage the Puppy" and clicking on Go does nothing; but clicking on the icon in "/" brings up the "user: spot - Okay" box and clicking Okay opens SSM..

The regularSM is working fine.whether I'm root or spot.

I will try your new pet package ASAP and hope this feedback is of some use. You understand that some of us really need a GUI while struggling with learning Linux.

Regards - retry3

tronkel

#18 Post by tronkel »

In Puppy what is usually referred to as the root folder, has the following absolute path : /root

In other Linuces the root (admin) folder usually has the absolute path: /home/root

Otherwise the "root file system" is always at: /

Now this is very confusing and will give even experts trouble - far less Linux novices.

That I'm afraid is just the way things are in the world of the penguin.

The petget package will automatically install the seamonkeyspot script to /root. If for any reason you need to change the path to the browser, all you have to do is to open the seamonkeyspot script as a text file and replace "defaultbrowser" with the absolute path to wherever your browser executable is stored.

Normally what you should see, if everything is set up OK, is a message box confirming who you are. After clicking on OK, you can then start the safe browser by clicking Go! in the main GUI window.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer