PCTel HSP56 dialup modems

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
shankargopal

PCTel HSP56 dialup modems

#1 Post by shankargopal »

One more dialup modem question for today...

I use Puppy on six different computers regularly, and it works brilliantly on all of them (except for one weird problem). Naturally that means that I run into a lot of dial up modems too.

So far I've found solutions for HCF/HSF modems, Broadcom modems, and the usual SmartLink and Lucent modem packages, two of them thanks to the great folks on this forum.

However, I'm stumped now with a PCTel PCI card modem. The PCI ID is 134d:2189, which corresponds to a PCTel HSP56 modem. ScanModem can't even find the modem on the PCI bus. I tried downloading pctel.zip from here, but the pre-compiled pctel.o module refuses to load (even insmod -f complains and drops out) and one can't compile things in puppy... or am I wrong about that?

All the other pctel drivers out there also appear to need to be compiled, so wanted to ask if anyone's had any success otherwise.

#2 Post by Guest »

don't know about pc-tel modems, but if you want to compile you need to download usr_devx.sfs and have this file in your home directory or, if you have puppy installed on hard disk, in /. download from -

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... r_devx.sfs