Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 05:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firedog 1.2 - a smarter, faster, more stylish browser suite
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 10 of 14 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
Artie

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan 2010, 09:43    Post_subject:  

Hi sc0ttman please keep up the good work I'm trying out Firedog 1.2 in Quirky 005 so far so good. Will get back to you if I have any comments or questions.

Artie

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jan 2010, 08:20    Post_subject:  

Firedog gets my vote too - gives me the warm "..we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" feeling. Great stuff, sc0ttman!
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan 2010, 02:13    Post_subject: Firedog  

For what its worth my Pastor loves your program. Asked me to thank you for it.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan 2010, 20:18    Post_subject:  

Yep, I've installed it in two Pups so far and it's working well. Thanks for a good job of work.
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan 2010, 04:21    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the feedback, it's great news.. I'm glad you like it..
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2010, 02:14    Post_subject: Never mind  

[quote="sc0ttman"]Thanks for the feedback, it's great news.. I'm glad you like it..[/quote

Is there a way to link VLC to firedog?
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2010, 03:52    Post_subject: Gmail  

Gmail is starting to threaten to stop supporting FireDog {ff2} on March 1st.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15509/google_internet_explorer_6_and_chrome_3_must_die

I am not sure if switching to FF 3 will help because I use Basic Html on their site now.

The difference in running FireDog on dialup is huge and I would hate to have to switch because of Gmail but I may have no choice. It remains to be seen if I will lose that much or not.

I am going to hold out until I have no choice but on one machine, my pastors, if he cannot log into the food bank then even IE 6 through wine won't work , FireDog is perfect now. It it infuriating they discriminate against those who do not have access to broadband. I had searched high and low to find a less painful way of using dialup and Puppy and FireDog work night and day better.

It may be I can configure a later version of IE to work in wine but if worse comes to worse and Gmail messes me up is it possible to upgrade the engine to 3.something and still keep the FireDog interface?

I hate it you did all this work and so few appreciate it . If I had to abandon it I would feel even worse, I love FireDog.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2010, 07:03    Post_subject:  

Haven't got time to reply in full now, but speaking as a GMail user this is frankly appalling. I may go over completely to myrealbox (another decent webmail service) instead.
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2010, 09:42    Post_subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
Haven't got time to reply in full now, but speaking as a GMail user this is frankly appalling. I may go over completely to myrealbox (another decent webmail service) instead.

The simple solution is to run GMail in basic HTML mode. I do that as often as not under Puppy using FF 3.6, because the Puppy box is old, slow, and struggles to process the immense amounts of JavaScript that power full GMail. (I get lots of "A script on this page is busy or has stopped responding. Do you want to terminate the script?" popup boxes.)

Basic HTML mode is quite usable for standard purposes.

(And note the MyREalBox is a 10MB POP mail service. I looked at getting GMail sent to me via POP, and passed. I get enough mail that a 10MB Inbox might overflow if I didn't get to check it for a couple of days, and I prefer to have my mail on GMail's servers and read it via the web interface. I found out the hard way a while back what happens when Outlook's mailbox.pst file where your mail is stored grows over 2GB in size... Razz)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2010, 10:07    Post_subject: Re: Gmail  

Frank Cox wrote:
Gmail is starting to threaten to stop supporting FireDog {ff2} on March 1st.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15509/google_internet_explorer_6_and_chrome_3_must_die

No. Reread the article. They are dropping support for IE 6 in Google Docs and Sites, which are different things. They went through an exercise not that long ago where they re-architected the GMail code base so IE 6 would be fully supported in GMail.

Quote:
I am not sure if switching to FF 3 will help because I use Basic Html on their site now.

Won't make a difference. Basic HTML (which I use under Puppy as often as not for performance reasons) is basic HTML, intended to work in just about any browser.

Quote:
I am going to hold out until I have no choice but on one machine, my pastors, if he cannot log into the food bank then even IE 6 through wine won't work , FireDog is perfect now. It it infuriating they discriminate against those who do not have access to broadband. I had searched high and low to find a less painful way of using dialup and Puppy and FireDog work night and day better.

They are not discriminating against those without access to broadband. They are discriminating against products that do not properly support the current web standards they are writing to. IS 6 is the least standards compliant browser in common use, and a source of hair tearing frustration for web developers trying to craft pages that look and act substantially the same in all browsers. (Among other things, it's never heard of CSS. And it's a yawning mass of security holes MS has been trying to replace for some time. IE 7 and IE 8 are pushed out as Critical Security Updates though Windows Update, but an awful lot of folks won't take the hint.)

Quote:
It may be I can configure a later version of IE to work in wine but if worse comes to worse and Gmail messes me up is it possible to upgrade the engine to 3.something and still keep the FireDog interface?

Offhand, uninstall FF 2 and install FF 3.X.

Note the same underlying issue is likely to bite SeaMonkey 1.1X, delivered as Puppy's default browser.
______
Dennis
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2010, 11:55    Post_subject:  

DMcCunney wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

The simple solution is to run GMail in basic HTML mode. I do that as often as not under Puppy using FF 3.6, because the Puppy box is old, slow, and struggles to process the immense amounts of JavaScript that power full GMail. (I get lots of "A script on this page is busy or has stopped responding. Do you want to terminate the script?" popup boxes.)

Basic HTML mode is quite usable for standard purposes.

(And note the MyREalBox is a 10MB POP mail service. I looked at getting GMail sent to me via POP, and passed. I get enough mail that a 10MB Inbox might overflow if I didn't get to check it for a couple of days, and I prefer to have my mail on GMail's servers and read it via the web interface. I found out the hard way a while back what happens when Outlook's mailbox.pst file where your mail is stored grows over 2GB in size... Razz)
______
Dennis

Thanks for the advice Dennis, I use HTML mode on GMail sometimes and it works well. The only downside I've found is that you have to select all your spams manually before deleting them instead of simply selecting and deleting the whole lot in one go. I'm normally talking about 12 a day, so it's doable in my case.

Point taken about myrealbox too, but I don't usually get enough emails for that to be a problem.

DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2010, 12:12    Post_subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
Thanks for the advice Dennis, I use HTML mode on GMail sometimes and it works well. The only downside I've found is that you have to select all your spams manually before deleting them instead of simply selecting and deleting the whole lot in one go. I'm normally talking about 12 a day, so it's doable in my case.

I normally read GMail on the Windows side, where standard mode works fine. GMail on Puppy is an "if and when". And I have Mozilla Prism installed on Puppy, and may use it. Prism uses the Gecko runtime engine (XULRunner) to display things without the overhead of a full browser. Works fine for GMail.

Quote:
Point taken about myrealbox too, but I don't usually get enough emails for that to be a problem.

If it works for you... But it is essentially a wide-beta to test/debug messaging software, so you cross your fingers they choose to continue to support the service.

I get a lot of email (I'm on some high volume lists.) I have about 7.5GB of GMail storage and counting, and it's about half used. I'm just as happy to have it reside on Google's servers. It's also a security measure. GMail has the best spam filters I've seen, and potentially harmful attachments never reach my PC, because they aren't downloaded unless I know what they are and who they are from.

And look at the URL the original poster cited. Google is dropping support for older browsers in Google Docs and Google Sites. GMail was not mentioned. Support is being dropped in Docs and Sites because the older browsers don't support features required by what Google is trying to implement in Docs and Sites. (They require support for current CSS and JavaScript standards.)
______
Dennis
LoboGrande

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb 2010, 07:23    Post_subject: Firedog
Sub_title: Crashing

I'm a new Puppy Linux user. I love how it boots in less than 2 minutes from a thumb drive in even my oldest computers. I loaded Firedog but didn't unhook Seamonkey 2.0. Both seem to crash often especially on Youtube and other flash heavy sites.

My current computer has a 3.04ghz/533FSB dual core with 2gb of PC2700 DDR RAM.

Firedog also does this from an old Dell computer that it's been full installed on the hard drive. I really like FireDog and wish that there were a version for Ubuntu and other Linux OS's.

TIA The Fat Wolf
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb 2010, 12:45    Post_subject: Re: Firedog
Sub_title: Crashing

LoboGrande wrote:
Firedog also does this from an old Dell computer that it's been full installed on the hard drive. I really like FireDog and wish that there were a version for Ubuntu and other Linux OS's.

Firedog is based on Firefox 2.0, and the current version is Firefox 3.6. There have been many changes in FF from 2.X to 3.X. I don't see Ubuntu or other current distros supporting older versions of Firefox.

Crashes on Flash heavy sites seem to be related to Adobe's Flash plugin, and will bite on FF or SM. Which version do you have installed?
______
Dennis
LoboGrande

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb 2010, 14:24    Post_subject:  

According Firedog, it's Shockwave Flash 10.0.32.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 10 of 14 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum