Firedog 1.2 - a smarter, faster, more stylish browser suite

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Artie

#136 Post by Artie »

Hi sc0ttman please keep up the good work I'm trying out Firedog 1.2 in Quirky 005 so far so good. Will get back to you if I have any comments or questions.

Artie

Puppyt

#137 Post by Puppyt »

Firedog gets my vote too - gives me the warm "..we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" feeling. Great stuff, sc0ttman!

Frank Cox

Firedog

#138 Post by Frank Cox »

For what its worth my Pastor loves your program. Asked me to thank you for it.

Colonel Panic

#139 Post by Colonel Panic »

Yep, I've installed it in two Pups so far and it's working well. Thanks for a good job of work.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

sc0ttman

#140 Post by sc0ttman »

Thanks for the feedback, it's great news.. I'm glad you like it..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Frank Cox

Never mind

#141 Post by Frank Cox »

[quote="sc0ttman"]Thanks for the feedback, it's great news.. I'm glad you like it..[/quote

Is there a way to link VLC to firedog?

Frank Cox

Gmail

#142 Post by Frank Cox »

Gmail is starting to threaten to stop supporting FireDog {ff2} on March 1st.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15509/go ... 3_must_die

I am not sure if switching to FF 3 will help because I use Basic Html on their site now.

The difference in running FireDog on dialup is huge and I would hate to have to switch because of Gmail but I may have no choice. It remains to be seen if I will lose that much or not.

I am going to hold out until I have no choice but on one machine, my pastors, if he cannot log into the food bank then even IE 6 through wine won't work , FireDog is perfect now. It it infuriating they discriminate against those who do not have access to broadband. I had searched high and low to find a less painful way of using dialup and Puppy and FireDog work night and day better.

It may be I can configure a later version of IE to work in wine but if worse comes to worse and Gmail messes me up is it possible to upgrade the engine to 3.something and still keep the FireDog interface?

I hate it you did all this work and so few appreciate it . If I had to abandon it I would feel even worse, I love FireDog.

Colonel Panic

#143 Post by Colonel Panic »

Haven't got time to reply in full now, but speaking as a GMail user this is frankly appalling. I may go over completely to myrealbox (another decent webmail service) instead.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

DMcCunney

#144 Post by DMcCunney »

Colonel Panic wrote:Haven't got time to reply in full now, but speaking as a GMail user this is frankly appalling. I may go over completely to myrealbox (another decent webmail service) instead.
The simple solution is to run GMail in basic HTML mode. I do that as often as not under Puppy using FF 3.6, because the Puppy box is old, slow, and struggles to process the immense amounts of JavaScript that power full GMail. (I get lots of "A script on this page is busy or has stopped responding. Do you want to terminate the script?" popup boxes.)

Basic HTML mode is quite usable for standard purposes.

(And note the MyREalBox is a 10MB POP mail service. I looked at getting GMail sent to me via POP, and passed. I get enough mail that a 10MB Inbox might overflow if I didn't get to check it for a couple of days, and I prefer to have my mail on GMail's servers and read it via the web interface. I found out the hard way a while back what happens when Outlook's mailbox.pst file where your mail is stored grows over 2GB in size... :P)
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

Re: Gmail

#145 Post by DMcCunney »

Frank Cox wrote:Gmail is starting to threaten to stop supporting FireDog {ff2} on March 1st.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15509/go ... 3_must_die
No. Reread the article. They are dropping support for IE 6 in Google Docs and Sites, which are different things. They went through an exercise not that long ago where they re-architected the GMail code base so IE 6 would be fully supported in GMail.
I am not sure if switching to FF 3 will help because I use Basic Html on their site now.
Won't make a difference. Basic HTML (which I use under Puppy as often as not for performance reasons) is basic HTML, intended to work in just about any browser.
I am going to hold out until I have no choice but on one machine, my pastors, if he cannot log into the food bank then even IE 6 through wine won't work , FireDog is perfect now. It it infuriating they discriminate against those who do not have access to broadband. I had searched high and low to find a less painful way of using dialup and Puppy and FireDog work night and day better.
They are not discriminating against those without access to broadband. They are discriminating against products that do not properly support the current web standards they are writing to. IS 6 is the least standards compliant browser in common use, and a source of hair tearing frustration for web developers trying to craft pages that look and act substantially the same in all browsers. (Among other things, it's never heard of CSS. And it's a yawning mass of security holes MS has been trying to replace for some time. IE 7 and IE 8 are pushed out as Critical Security Updates though Windows Update, but an awful lot of folks won't take the hint.)
It may be I can configure a later version of IE to work in wine but if worse comes to worse and Gmail messes me up is it possible to upgrade the engine to 3.something and still keep the FireDog interface?
Offhand, uninstall FF 2 and install FF 3.X.

Note the same underlying issue is likely to bite SeaMonkey 1.1X, delivered as Puppy's default browser.
______
Dennis

Colonel Panic

#146 Post by Colonel Panic »

DMcCunney wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Haven't got time to reply in full now, but speaking as a GMail user this is frankly appalling. I may go over completely to myrealbox (another decent webmail service) instead.
The simple solution is to run GMail in basic HTML mode. I do that as often as not under Puppy using FF 3.6, because the Puppy box is old, slow, and struggles to process the immense amounts of JavaScript that power full GMail. (I get lots of "A script on this page is busy or has stopped responding. Do you want to terminate the script?" popup boxes.)

Basic HTML mode is quite usable for standard purposes.

(And note the MyREalBox is a 10MB POP mail service. I looked at getting GMail sent to me via POP, and passed. I get enough mail that a 10MB Inbox might overflow if I didn't get to check it for a couple of days, and I prefer to have my mail on GMail's servers and read it via the web interface. I found out the hard way a while back what happens when Outlook's mailbox.pst file where your mail is stored grows over 2GB in size... :P)
______
Dennis
Thanks for the advice Dennis, I use HTML mode on GMail sometimes and it works well. The only downside I've found is that you have to select all your spams manually before deleting them instead of simply selecting and deleting the whole lot in one go. I'm normally talking about 12 a day, so it's doable in my case.

Point taken about myrealbox too, but I don't usually get enough emails for that to be a problem.

DMcCunney

#147 Post by DMcCunney »

Colonel Panic wrote:Thanks for the advice Dennis, I use HTML mode on GMail sometimes and it works well. The only downside I've found is that you have to select all your spams manually before deleting them instead of simply selecting and deleting the whole lot in one go. I'm normally talking about 12 a day, so it's doable in my case.
I normally read GMail on the Windows side, where standard mode works fine. GMail on Puppy is an "if and when". And I have Mozilla Prism installed on Puppy, and may use it. Prism uses the Gecko runtime engine (XULRunner) to display things without the overhead of a full browser. Works fine for GMail.
Point taken about myrealbox too, but I don't usually get enough emails for that to be a problem.
If it works for you... But it is essentially a wide-beta to test/debug messaging software, so you cross your fingers they choose to continue to support the service.

I get a lot of email (I'm on some high volume lists.) I have about 7.5GB of GMail storage and counting, and it's about half used. I'm just as happy to have it reside on Google's servers. It's also a security measure. GMail has the best spam filters I've seen, and potentially harmful attachments never reach my PC, because they aren't downloaded unless I know what they are and who they are from.

And look at the URL the original poster cited. Google is dropping support for older browsers in Google Docs and Google Sites. GMail was not mentioned. Support is being dropped in Docs and Sites because the older browsers don't support features required by what Google is trying to implement in Docs and Sites. (They require support for current CSS and JavaScript standards.)
______
Dennis

LoboGrande

Firedog

#148 Post by LoboGrande »

I'm a new Puppy Linux user. I love how it boots in less than 2 minutes from a thumb drive in even my oldest computers. I loaded Firedog but didn't unhook Seamonkey 2.0. Both seem to crash often especially on Youtube and other flash heavy sites.

My current computer has a 3.04ghz/533FSB dual core with 2gb of PC2700 DDR RAM.

Firedog also does this from an old Dell computer that it's been full installed on the hard drive. I really like FireDog and wish that there were a version for Ubuntu and other Linux OS's.

TIA The Fat Wolf

DMcCunney

Re: Firedog

#149 Post by DMcCunney »

LoboGrande wrote:Firedog also does this from an old Dell computer that it's been full installed on the hard drive. I really like FireDog and wish that there were a version for Ubuntu and other Linux OS's.
Firedog is based on Firefox 2.0, and the current version is Firefox 3.6. There have been many changes in FF from 2.X to 3.X. I don't see Ubuntu or other current distros supporting older versions of Firefox.

Crashes on Flash heavy sites seem to be related to Adobe's Flash plugin, and will bite on FF or SM. Which version do you have installed?
______
Dennis

LoboGrande

#150 Post by LoboGrande »

According Firedog, it's Shockwave Flash 10.0.32.

DMcCunney

#151 Post by DMcCunney »

LoboGrande wrote:According Firedog, it's Shockwave Flash 10.0.32.
That's pretty current. What happens if you install FF 3.6 and try YouTube? (I'd start FF from a terminal window and watch the messages. It's possible you would see something useful when it crashed.)

I tend to avoid Flash heavy sites on my Puppy machine. I don't get crashes, but the machine doesn't really have the horsepower to handle them. (I just tried a music video on YouTube. The audio wasn't too bad, but the video just couldn't update fast enough, and I saw a sequence of still pictures instead of smooth motion.)
______
Dennis

Frank Cox

Cleaner Install

#152 Post by Frank Cox »

Lobo you might want to install FireDog after you remove SeaMonkey and then use the U-Tube downloader and watch the videos offline. When I have used FireDog on cable internet I could do either with no problems.

Delete everything that has to do with Seamonkey ,FireFox,FireDog or Mozilla save these four libs. Then reinstall FireDog and upgrade the flash with the pet file.

rokytnji

Firedog on Puppy 4.31 Full Install IBM T23

#153 Post by rokytnji »

Posting Now from Firedog 1.2. I must have done a weird install. Been reading through the thread on how it would replace Seamonkey as default browser. This did not happen in my case.

My desktop icon noted below.
seamonkey or Browser Icon=/usr/local/bin/mozstart
opera = /usr/bin/opera
firefox 3.5.7= /root/firefox/firefox

I never checked before I installed firedog but I think firefox 3.5.7 used to launch from /usr.bin/firefox

I downloaded a firedog icon and made /user/bin/firefox to launch firedog from it. It looks like firedog took over the /usr/bin/firefox file instead of taking over seamonkey. I don;t know how I managed this. I did not manually change the icon/command launch for firefox 3.5.7. Must be poltergeists. LOL.

Anyhows. I have java working (jre6u17) in all browsers. Flash 10 in Opera 10 and Firefox 3.5.7 and Seamonkey 1.8.

Flash 9 in Firedog. I did all this drowsy eyed tonight. So don't ask me how I snafued it. I installed Opera Pet first a month ago. Firefox 3.5 pet maybe a week later. Tonight was Firedog 1.2 night.

I am not unhappy with how this turned out. Everything works. Trippy thing is I have Firedogs Taskbar in Firefox 3.5.7 also. To tired to figure out right now. Like the browser scottman. Just ramblin I guess. :wink:

Thanks for the pet. :D

Frank Cox

Firedog

#154 Post by Frank Cox »

Do you have all of FireDogs links etc but FF as the actual browser? If so please tell me how you did that.

rokytnji

Your Bookmarks

#155 Post by rokytnji »

Do you have all of FireDogs links etc but FF as the actual browser? If so please tell me how you did that.
I have all of scottmans preinstalled bookmarks in Firefox 3.5.7 and also Firedog 1.2 which calls itself Firefox 2.0.2 (which you probably know already)

I also have imported all my AntiX Bookmarks etc under import Netscape Bookmarks also.

I wish I could tell you how I ended up this way as far as how it is configured. But all I did was download and install your pet package. It must be that I had a previous Firefox installed running Alongside Seamonkey.

It just Hit me what I may have done different from everybody else. My Firefox 3.5 install is the downloaded tar.bz2 from Firefoxes site. I extracted into ~ folder. Which means I never had it launching from /usr/bin. Must be suffering from CRS lately. :oops:

Anyhows. I got a frankenstein install right now. Everytime I open Firefox 3.5 after opening Firedog 1.2. I get the addon check window. Which is no big deal right now. You can try my experiment if you want to see what I mean.
Attachments
root folder.png
(149.03 KiB) Downloaded 572 times