Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 09:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firedog 1.2 - a smarter, faster, more stylish browser suite
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 14 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
omskates

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 07:53    Post_subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:
BTW people, Firedog can't be installed alongside FirePup, obviously... Choose one or the other!

Can I safely remove FirePup after FireDog install? Best way? Thanks.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 09:15    Post_subject:  

omskates wrote:
sc0ttman wrote:
BTW people, Firedog can't be installed alongside FirePup, obviously... Choose one or the other!

Can I safely remove FirePup after FireDog install? Best way? Thanks.

No, you cannot delete FirePup AFTER installing Firedog - Firedog replaces many files and folders used by FirePup - so you will be deleting Firedog files... Sad

You should delete FirePup BEFORE isntalling Firedog.. Including the .mozilla folder, in /root..

For otropogo, about enabling History, got to Menu->Edit->Preferences.. It's in there somewhere, probably under 'Privacy'... I'm not in Firedog or Firefox at the mo, so can't say more..

otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 12:05    Post_subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:

For otropogo, about enabling History, got to Menu->Edit->Preferences.. It's in there somewhere, probably under 'Privacy'... I'm not in Firedog or Firefox at the mo, so can't say more..

Found the menu, adjusted the setting, but no cigar.

On the one hand, I can't remove the long pre-existing history list, and on the other, Firedog refuses to keep record my own URL entries.

I've tried setting the history persistence to 30 days, 1 day, and 0 days, and the result is always the same - all the URLs that came with the install continue to appear in the drop down menu below the navigation field , while my entries are gone.

I'm having major problems displaying web pages saved in Seamonkey using Firefog. And since I haven't been able to make Seamonkey the default browser again, I decided to uninstall Firredog for now.

However, when I opened the package manager to unistall the pet, I found it isn't listed...

So now I need to find out how to manually uninstall Firedog. Argghhhh!

Rupp

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 15:07    Post_subject:  

n/t
Edited_time_total
omskates

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 16:53    Post_subject:  

Here's how I changed default browser:
Go to /usr/local/bin right-click on defaultbrowser and open with text editor. change exec path to whatever path is to the start-script of your choice of browser. May be /usr/share/applications/seamonkey or /root/opera/startopera etc.

scOttman wrote:
No, you cannot delete FirePup AFTER installing Firedog - Firedog replaces many files and folders used by FirePup - so you will be deleting Firedog files...
Thankyou, I had installed Opera but will remove FirepPup now and install FireDog (1st page of this thread) to use the suite functions and such.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 18:55    Post_subject:  

Rupp wrote:
... since you are now removing Firedog. You can't see it in package manager to remove it so I will show you everything it installed. Go to:

/root/.packages/

open "firedog.files" in a text editor and it will give you a list of everything installed.

Are you sure? I can't see any folder called /root/packages/ and neither can Pfind...

Anyway, that's probably not going to help me either . I was thinking that removing Firedog would reinstate Seamonkey as the default browser. But on second thought, I doubt it.

And I've tried every method I could find on the forum to make Seamonkey default again - yours, omskates', Alien-Jeff's, and muggins'. But nothing makes any difference. Firedog still opens all saved html files and the Puppy help page by default. And right click/open-with/mozilla gets old real quick...

So it looks like I'm stuck with Firedog. Problem is, it simply won't open some pages saved with Seamonkey - no idea why. It puts a tab on the taskbar, and won't display them. And it takes a looong time to do it.

And when displaying saved web pages, it provides no functionality. All I can do is resize or minimize the window. I can't change the text size, or select and copy text, etc..

dawnsboy

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 19:59    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Are you sure? I can't see any folder called /root/packages/ and neither can Pfind...

That is because it is not in /root/packages it is in /root/.packages which is a hidden folder.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 20:08    Post_subject:  

Rupp wrote:
Menu, Preferences, Privacy

Put a checkmark in:
"Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar." That will fix your url issue.

Yes, that works.

I've also managed to "sort of" uninstall Firedog 1.2. First I had to re-install it over the existing installation. That gave me a packet to uninstall in the packet manager window. Packet Manager then declared the uninstall successful, but the entries in the Start/Internet menu persist - they just don't do anything.

The good part is that it's not the default browser anymore. The bad part is that the default browser is now Puppy Browser, which has exactly the same file display functionality - no text zoom, no select and paste...But at least it's a bit faster about it.

otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 20:19    Post_subject:  

dawnsboy wrote:
Quote:

That is because it is not in /root/packages it is in /root/.packages which is a hidden folder.

Thanks. And exactly how would one uninstall a package manually in this folder? I see there's a file called "user-installed packages", in which I have Stardict listed.

But I also installed wine and UFRaw via pets, and neither is listed there (neither works either). Stardict, UFRaw and Wine also have files in their own names in this directory, and then there's one called "woof installed packages" which seems packed pretty tight.

Is this where one can remove bundled apps like Puppy Browser?

socrates

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 21:34    Post_subject:    

I've got a problem
problem.jpg
 Description   screenshot
 Filesize   66.75 KB
 Viewed   828 Time(s)

problem.jpg

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 21:41    Post_subject:  

About the screenshot above..
These libs are always listed as missing, as most puppies don't have them, or don't have them in the right place at least..

The standard version of FF2 that Firedog is based on said the same when installed, but worked fine..
Firedog also worked for me on various systems after claiming these libs were missing..

Socrates, did you try Firedog after installation to test if it works or not?

Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 23:52    Post_subject: Mail Authentification in FireDog-Mozilla Root
Sub_title: Having trouple getting simole mail to work in FireDog-didn't nuke root-Mozilla

Hi everyone.
Forgive my greenness but I misunderstood the instructions on getting rid of Sea Monkey and removed all the files in Sea Monkey 11.8 {or whatever} save the ones on the page it said to save. I did not remove Mozilla in root.
FireDog seems to have loaded properly and is running fine, do I need to worry about the files in Mozilla root? I am sending this on FireDog.

Also I get an error message {# 500} when I try to use the mail to to configure my email for authentication . There are only 2 settings I can find and either way I get the same error. I have never had a problem with Eudora, ThunderBird or Sea Monkey like this. Any ideas.

Thanks for making the package so easy to install!
socrates

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov 2009, 00:32    Post_subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:
About the screenshot above..
These libs are always listed as missing, as most puppies don't have them, or don't have them in the right place at least..

The standard version of FF2 that Firedog is based on said the same when installed, but worked fine..
Firedog also worked for me on various systems after claiming these libs were missing..

Socrates, did you try Firedog after installation to test if it works or not?

Yeah it works fine, i thought these warnings were something important but I guess they are not.
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov 2009, 00:42    Post_subject: Installation Problem Firedog
Sub_title: Did poor job of removing Sea Monkey

Apparently I messed up good.
I finally got it to download mail but from the old Sea Monkey settings.
At this point I think it would be easier for me to reformat unless someone can help me straighten it out.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov 2009, 08:31    Post_subject: Re: Installation Problem Firedog
Sub_title: Did poor job of removing Sea Monkey

Frank Cox wrote:
Apparently I messed up good.
I finally got it to download mail but from the old Sea Monkey settings.
At this point I think it would be easier for me to reformat unless someone can help me straighten it out.

Not deleting the /root/.mozilla folder before installing Firedog should not make too much difference if you were using Seamonkey.. If replacing FirePup, then the .mozilla folder should be deleted.

But for you, I suggest you have a look at the SimpleMail website or find a SimpleMail help file, as it sounds like you have simply added the wrong settings for you mail account. Don't reformat yet!

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 14 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum