Stoage device existance question

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
8-bit

Stoage device existance question

#1 Post by 8-bit »

This is pertaining to internal floppy disks, but I imagine it could be used for other things.
I recently downloaded a new release of ufiformat-0.9.5 and found that it did not find any USB floppy drives attached to my system even though one was.
I reported the problem and a revised version, ufiformat-0.9.6 was made and soon to be released.

While I was emailing back and forth, I sent him the gtkdialog script I had made and asked his opinion.
He stated that 'killall xmessage' should not have been used as it could interfere with other xmessages, like one that would report arrival of new mail.
He also stated that my script was 'junk' since it did not check for or allow for more than one internal floppy drive or one USB floppy drive.
So if , God forbid, a user of Puppy Linux had a PC with a 3.5 and a 5.25 internal floppy, he could only format the one recognized as fd0.
I could incorporate further checking of the existence of more than one internal floppy by checking for it in /root/.pup-event directory.
I have no internal floppy drives so there is no fd0 listed in /root/.pup-event.
The question here is if I had two internal floppy drives, would both show up there?
I have already had the idea checking for the existence of the file representing said floppy devices and acting accordingly.
But....
Is there really a need for going that far with a floppy formatter?