Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cinclus_cinclus

#2611 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

Before making the following changes in Fluppy please correct if necessary your local time setting in your BIOS (see below).
nooby wrote: Any suggestion or hint on how to set it right. I live in Stockholm Sweden so I do set it to GMT+1 but that makes it go one hour wrong. it is 8.46PM now local time but Fluppy says it is 9.46 instead.
[/b]
-> Setup
-> System
-> Country Wizard
Personalize Settings:
Europe/Stockholm
don"t check "Use UTC Hardware Clock"
-> OK
Afterwards set your local time in:
-> Set date and time
Do I have to go into Bios and set that one straight and then do what? [/b]
Leave your time settings in your BIOS as usual or if necessary set them to your local time.

Aitch

#2612 Post by Aitch »

nooby

The bios clock is often referred to as RTC, real time clock, and along with 'date' is set to the current date/time, where you are, and can cause problems if it's wrong - often, caused by RTC battery failure

As far as I know the local time setting in all puppies now works the same

Stockholm is UTC / GMT +01:00 hours, with no daylight saving time [hour difference] that we apply in UK

Aitch :)

rerwin

modem/modprobe update for puppeee 1.0 and 4.4

#2613 Post by rerwin »

jemimah, et al,
I have collected all the relevant modem and module-loading updates between "level 6" and wary 098, plus some cleanup items into a single dotpet package. It should work with both puppeee 1.0 and 4.4. I have tested it somewhat with both on my eeePC 1005HAGB. It is attached.

It includes usb_modeswitch 1.1.6, which is not yet proven to work. But I have a workaround package ready if anyone reports it not working. I think a few people should try this on either version of puppeee before consideration is given to merging it into a 4.4 beta.

If there is a better place for me to upload this package, just tell me. Thanks to all who try this out. Send me a pmodemdiag file if you encounter a problem.

UPDATE 2/1/2011: Updated the package (after download 36) with minor changes to /sbin/pup_event_background_modprobe and ..._protect, as well as to /usr/sbin/remasterpup2. No need for most people to take it, but those changes should go into the official puppeee. I bumped 9 to 10 to match the generic modem package level 10, reflecting the upgrade to support modeswitch 1.1.6, which was already in the 20110124 package.

UPDATE 2/9/2011: Updated the package (after download 52) with changes to 4 files: the 2 /sbin/pup-event...modprobe... scripts, the .../all-firmware/dgcmodem tarball and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Puppeee actually does not use that tarball, because the driver module is absent. But since DGC modems are USB types, that driver could be added to puppeee, even though most such modems are already supported by the cdc_acm driver. I would expect the DGC driver to support more functions (fax?), but have not confirmed that. If the driver is not added, then the tarball could be removed.

UPDATE 2/18/2011: Updated the package (after download 87) with a corrected pupdial, to address Toy4's problem with intermittant failures to connect with dialup. (The fix is to insert a "sync" command just before the wvdial command on line 688, for anyone who prefers to make that simple edit instead of reinstalling.)
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 18 Feb 2011, 22:14, edited 6 times in total.

jemimah

#2614 Post by jemimah »

Thanks!

rerwin

#2615 Post by rerwin »

jemimah,
You are welcome. I am reviewing the PCI-modem firmware tarballs to ensure they can handle the absence of the actual driver they support, in case such a modem is installed. I see that 4.4 contains several of the tarballs, but not the drivers. Do you foresee that some netbooks using puppeee (or fluppy) might contain built-in modems that would require the PCI drivers, such as the Agere, Lucent, HCF or HSF?

The slmodem tarball is necessary if a netbook has one of the ALSA modems, even though the PCI and USB drivers are not present. The tarball contains a daemon the ALSA modems would use. The larger question is whether a netbook would ever have a built-in modem.

With my soon-to-be-updated tarballs, it will not matter whether the drivers are present. But if you will never need support for such modems, you could remove the aforementioned tarballs, as well as udev rule file 60-dialup-modem.rules, since relates to only the Intel536/537, Agere and mwave modems.
Richard

jemimah

#2616 Post by jemimah »

Many netbooks have built-in 3G modems, but I don't know of any with the old style POTS modems. The first model EeePC has a modem port, but no actual modem inside - it is possible to remove the motherboard and add one, but I don't think many people do it.

I think the built-in in modems are generally usb though, not PCI.

Fluppy should support PCI modems though - I intend it to work on machines besides netbooks.

Let me know what usb modem drivers I am missing.

Digger

xset Commands Not Taken at Startup

#2617 Post by Digger »

Hello all,

Just started using Puppy 1.0 on my 901 (see my signature block for specifics). Lovin' it so far!

I've encountered a glitch, however. I've researched this rather exhaustively, but have not found the answer.

As I've switched some of the keys around on my keyboard, I'd like to run the following script on startup:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#
 xmodmap -e "keycode 62 = Up"        # Shift       => Up
 xmodmap -e "keycode 109 = Prior"    # Fn-Shift	   => PgUp
 xmodmap -e "keycode 98 = Shift_R"   # Up          => Shift
 xmodmap -e "keycode 99 = Control_R" # PgUp        => Fn-Shift (can also now be used as Control_R)
 xmodmap -e "keycode 104 = Right"    # Down        => Right
 xmodmap -e "keycode 105 = End"      # PgDn        => End
 xmodmap -e "keycode 102 = Down"     # Right       => Down
 xmodmap -e "keycode 103 = Next"     # End         => PgDn
 xmodmap -e "add shift = Shift_R"    # Make the new Shift key shift
 xmodmap -e "remove shift = Up"      # Prevent the old Shift key (i.e. the new Up key) from shifting
 xset r 62                           # Make the new Up key autorepeat
 xset r 109                          # Make the new PgUp key autorepeat
 xset -r 98                          # Prevent the new Shift key from autorepeating 
 xset -r 99				              # Prevent the new Fn-Shift key from autorepeating
Here's the problem: I put a command to run this script in "/root/.icewm/startup" The "xmodmap" commands always work, but the "xset" commands don't. I then have to suffer the indignity of running the script myself in order to get my keyboard to work.

On a side note, I ran this exact scheme on my machine when I was using the Asus version of Xandros that was originally loaded without any issues.

Does anyone have any ideas why the "xset" commands are not working on startup? Any suggestions?

TIA!
Last edited by Digger on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
eee PC 901; Using Puppeee 1.0; Xvesa; Window Manager = Flwm; Desktop Environment = ROX Filer

[url]http://www.astronautbiker.com[/url]

Digger

#2618 Post by Digger »

Just reporting that I was able to solve the xset problem by using Xvesa as opposed to X Windows. Thanks, Jemimah, for making Xvesa an option in Puppeee 1.0!

Of course I had to modify the keyboard reconfiguring script, to the one shown here (see the script listed for "Current versions of Linux").

IHTH someone!
Last edited by Digger on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
eee PC 901; Using Puppeee 1.0; Xvesa; Window Manager = Flwm; Desktop Environment = ROX Filer

jemimah

#2619 Post by jemimah »

You should probably put it in /root/Startup. It might be running before X has loaded. (Xvesa does load faster).

Digger

#2620 Post by Digger »

jemimah wrote:You should probably put it in /root/Startup. It might be running before X has loaded. (Xvesa does load faster).
Thanks, Jemimah!

I'll try that and will report back.

Digger

#2621 Post by Digger »

Yep, Xvesa does load in a flash!

Well, I tried putting the file into the Startup folder. I got the same results as before.....the xmodmap commands worked fine, the xset commands did not.

Back to Xvesa.

This is a problem I've seen mention of in several places, but I've not seen a solution that worked for me.

Oh well......

I think I'm still stickin' with Puppeee - I've always been a speed junkie! :wink:

jakfish

#2622 Post by jakfish »

I use xvesa, too. Doesn't work well with some video formats, so if I want to watch a movie, I have to choose xorg and restart x. Not a big deal.

Jake

Digger

#2623 Post by Digger »

jakfish wrote:I use xvesa, too. Doesn't work well with some video formats, so if I want to watch a movie, I have to choose xorg and restart x. Not a big deal.

Jake

Hi Jak,

I find that, using Chrome, that YouTube videos play smoother under Xvesa.

Have you found a good way to use XBindKeys under Xvesa?

TIA!

tempestuous

#2624 Post by tempestuous »

rerwin wrote:Do you foresee that some netbooks using puppeee (or fluppy) might contain built-in modems that would require the PCI drivers, such as the Agere, Lucent, HCF or HSF?
In the early days of Eee 701 support in Puppy, I downloaded all Eee Linux driver source code from ASUS and I discovered a modem driver amongst it.
Further investigation revealed that there was an optional modem card available for early Eee's, which plugged into an MDC connector on the motherboard. Apparently this modem required a bios upgrade before it could be recognised.

I can't find that source code, but I can find some of my old notes which say that the modem is a "Conexant RD02-D110".
My notes also indicate that the modem driver will create updated versions of the snd-hda-intel and snd-hda-codec modules. Clearly it's an ALSA modem.

jakfish

#2625 Post by jakfish »

H, Digger,

I don't use XBindKeys; in fact, after your post, I fired up pfind and couldn't even find XBindKeys.

I use an early, 900-specific (no elantech) jemimah-built kernel and a jemimah 4.31 iso, both circa October 2009. Perhaps she didn't include it and obviously, i haven't needed it.

Both kernel and iso worked with my original 4.31 pupsave file, so other than bluetooth, some wifi configuration, and desktop modification, I haven't had call to install too much new stuff.

Her setup, especially with xvesa, gives me a 23-second power-on boot, the fastest I've found with my eee and linux.

Her work is so good that should this eee 900 die, I'd simply replace it rather than look to a newer model.

Couldn't bear the thought of starting all over again :)

Jake

rerwin

#2626 Post by rerwin »

tempestuous,
Thanks for the info on the early modem option. Considering that it was probably an option rarely exercised, I will wait until someone requests support for it, before even looking into building the modem driver.
Richard

tempestuous

#2627 Post by tempestuous »

rerwin, yes, not a common device, but not entirely obscure, either. Apparently ASUS provided the motherboard MDC connector for a generic modem. Dell sells such a modem as part number M5804 or model number H6660.
The PCI ID is 14F1:2BFA
It still requires some customised wiring, as explained here -
http://modmyeee.com/modem.html

As I understand it, support is via the Linuxant ALSA patches from here -
http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/

I just tried the 1.0.20-2 and 1.0.23-1 patches against the 2.6.33.2 kernel source now, and both applied with a few errors.

Pupppie

#2628 Post by Pupppie »

Hi! Where can I download 4.3? All the links wouldn't work.

aarf

#2629 Post by aarf »

Pupppie wrote:Hi! Where can I download 4.3? All the links wouldn't work.
if you have celeron this is what you want http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... eleron.zip

TwoPuppies

#2630 Post by TwoPuppies »

jemimah wrote:I figured out you can change the icon size in JWM...
How?
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]