Problem with Gxine

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
bigdog11

Problem with Gxine

#1 Post by bigdog11 »

I am new to Linux. I am running Puppy 4.2.1 on a Compaq E 500. I gone the sound card to work by adding /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa start to my startup folder and made it executable. Here the problem before I did that I could play DVDs but after as soon as the DVD reaches a point where there is movement and sound it errors. Any ideal on how to fix this problem? Please remember I am ignorant of Linux, so any help please make it step by step. It took me 2 days to add thie line to my Startup Folder and it took a day to learn how to ask this question.

Thank You

sindi

Problem with gxine

#2 Post by sindi »

A 600Mhz Quantex with Vortex sound (au8830) played the video part of a DVD nicely until I set up sound (and told it to make this permanent), after which the motion became jerky and too fast, and the sound would only work briefly and cut out as soon as there was much action. 600Mhz (and your E500 at 700MHz) is probably too slow for using gxine. Even the CLI mplayer needs to run -framedrop or -hardframedrop to keep up without sound getting separated from video (I forget if it gets ahead or behind. Even a 1.5GHz computer (might have a slow sound card) needs -framedrop. Try mplayer CLI (no graphical front end) and also try stopping any Puppy processes that take up much cpu time. (Top will list them). ROX-FILER seems to be unneeded (it displays the icons - use a menu instead). cupsd blinky etc.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

If you have an old slow computer you may need to make sure the DVD player is using Hardware video acceleration, not Software. Go into the settings and choose xv as the video driver.
Some video cards don't do hardware acceleration at large resolution/colour settings... e.g. you may need to change to 1024x768 and 16 bit colour.
You might be able to improve performance by using a different player, e.g. ogle.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mcewanw

old mplayer or geexbox even better

#4 Post by mcewanw »

I notice that the person who started this thread did so back in August so the comments may be a bit too late...

An old mplayer used to work "reasonably" okay for me fullscreen on an old Celeron 400MHz laptop with 128MB RAM (was a little bit jerky at times). Definitely needed xv accelerated Xorg though. VLC worked absolutely fine on that machine using Windows 98SE (!)

My own preference, however, was (and is) to dual boot Puppy with GeeXboX (old version 1.1) for whenever I want to watch DVD's. GeeXboX 1.1 plays smooth at fullscreen on very low powered machines. Interestingly, I don't think GeeXboX 1.1 uses Xorg with xv but instead uses VidiX which proves to be very fast [Edit: tempestuous explained in the thread below that VidiX bypasses X altogether]. The later versions of GeeXboX are a bit more resource intensive and use Xorg with xv.

I started a thread about my GeeXboX adventures some time ago here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=288206
github mcewanw